INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Settings for a conection to a receiver  (Read 1518 times)

viorel_iulian

Settings for a conection to a receiver
« on: January 04, 2012, 01:56:28 am »

Hello all,
Sorry if there are previous topics regarding my ques, but I couldn't find one to satisfy my questions.
I recently bought a set of 5.0 speakers (Swedish XTZ 80 series) coupled to a Denon 1612 AV receiver. Connected to the receiver are my set top box (no problem here) and my PC (an oldie but a goodie with HD sound on board). The connection from the PC to the receiver is as follows: HDMI-HDMI (using a DVI-HDMI adapter that came with my AMD 4870 card, that I've read it knows DTS and Dolby) followed by a HDMI-HDMI from the receiver to the TV and an optical output from the TV back to the receiver (I have a TV with 1.3 HDMI standard, so no audio return). Usually for the playback of movies I use VLC and BSPlayer. I set the playback device from my PC as HDMI 5.0 with full range speakers as the floor speakers and so on. My receiver states MULTI CHANNEL IN, instead of the usual audio decoding method (Dolby, DTS, etc for ex., when playing the TV channels). I tested some HD movies and surround sounds and all the speakers are working properly. My question is: is the decoding made in the PC and not in the receiver and if so, the amplification is made also in the PC and not in the Denon? I want to get the most out of the receiver in this situation. If it's the case, should I buy a better sound card (I'm still puzzled today if when using the HDMI output from the PC, the sound comes from the on board audio in the motherboard or from the video card)? How can JR Media Center help me in this situation?
Sorry for my English.
In hope of some good answers, I wish you a pleasant day forward,

Viorel

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Settings for a conection to a receiver
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 06:53:05 am »

If the receiver shows "Multi Channel", it is doing the decoding.

MC will also do this.  Set it to "bitstream" audio.

Welcome to the forum.

viorel_iulian

Re: Settings for a conection to a receiver
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 06:57:59 am »

Thanks a lot. I will give it a try!
Pages: [1]   Go Up