INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Show All As a Choice Under Media Network Views  (Read 3046 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Show All As a Choice Under Media Network Views
« on: January 08, 2012, 09:19:24 am »

I would like the ability to enable "Show All As a Choice" for individual views under Options -> Media Network -> Advanced -> Customize Views for Gizmo (etc) just like we currently have for views under Options -> Theater View for individual views.

I agree that sometimes the "All" choice can be confusing, so it isn't good to have it "globally enabled".  However, it is also sometimes very useful for particular views.  For example, one thing I use it for often in Theater View is shuffle-playing all of the songs in a particular artist or genre using my Genre/Artist/Album view.  Without the All choice, the only way to play, browse, or view all songs from a particular artist or genre is to make a view specifically for that purpose (a Genre view that has no sub-categories, and another one for Artist, etc).  Since this function is convenient, but more rarely used, it doesn't really "deserve" its own individually built view, when an "All" choice at the top of a Genre/Artist/Album view solves the exact same problem.

Oh the other hand, for a TV Show/Series/Season view, there isn't a good reason to have the All choice in most cases (you don't generally want to "shuffle play" all of your series or shows in a category), so I would not want to show the All choice there.  So, it needs to be optional and per-view, just like Theater View.

This is, of course, related to this thread.  I'm doing what Jim asked, because I could use that function too.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MrHaugen

Re: Show All As a Choice Under Media Network Views
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 09:25:41 am »

I supports this. It's good to have it as an option for certain views.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 12:53:04 pm »

For example, one thing I use it for often in Theater View is shuffle-playing all of the songs in a particular artist or genre using my Genre/Artist/Album view.

Pick the artist.  Then at the top, use the 'Play all' button or the plus button to the right of that for more playback choices.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

)p(

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 01:32:18 pm »

+1
I use this option a lot in my theater views and would like to have this option for media network views too.
All in essence has the function of skipping a step in a filter hierarchy which I find very useful.

rjm

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 01:41:42 pm »

I too would like an option to display All.

Assume an audio view constructed with the categories Genre\Artist\Album.

"All" effectively disables a filter and thus permits one view to serve multiple purposes. For example, sometimes I want to filter by Genre, sometimes by Artist, and sometimes by Album. Without an All option I have to construct a separate view for each of:

Genre\Artist\Album
Genre\Album
Artist\Album

My audio is organized into 6 types including music, audiobook, course, comedy, radioplay, and podcast.

With an "All" option I only need to construct 1 view for each type thus needing only 6 views. Without an "All" option I need to construct 3*6=18 views which is cluttered and hard to maintain.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 02:30:05 pm »

+1. Another area it is important is when you have a view grouped by name. For example I have a lot of movies. Finding one by name can be difficult scrolling through the entire list so I group them by first letter. It's pretty quick after that. However if I want to just browse, the "All" option is important.

Considering that many will use WebGizmo in a fashion similar to what Theater View users experience. They will likely want to duplicate that experience...

)p(

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 03:42:48 pm »

Some more examples:

for movies I use a theater view hierarchy like this:
seen - length - rating - genre
Especially in the last choice genre I tend to select all.

Another one for photos. I filter them using nested keywords for events/, subjects/, people/, places/, sets/ etc.
So I have a threater view:
keywords - keywords - keywords - keywords - year - rating
If I have filtered down enough after two steps then I just choose all for the next ones.

cgf

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 11:05:18 pm »

I strongly support the ability to enable 'All'. It is powerful feature for a lot of views.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 11:08:03 pm »

Pick the artist.  Then at the top, use the 'Play all' button or the plus button to the right of that for more playback choices.

When you add it to web Gizmo, maybe, but for now I'm on an iPhone that doesn't have that widget.

Even if you solve that, though, it wouldn't help with this:

I can't use one Genre/Artist/Album view to browse both by Genre (when I want to) and by "All Artists".  To have a way to browse all artists, I have to make a separate Artist/Album view.  With "All" as a choice, I can just use the Genre/Artist/Album view for everything.  If, instead, I want to dig down and find a specific album, I can just do "All", "All", and then browse my Albums.

Likewise, on my Genre/Artist/Album music views, I actually like to structure them like this:  Genre/Artist/Artist/Album.  The first Artist Category is Grouped by 2 letters, so that it gives me A-B, C-D, E-F, etc.  That's handy because my full Artist list, even subdivided by Genre, is often quite long (especially if I pick "All Genres" on the previous tier).  But, sometimes you want to pick a Genre and then browse all of the artists.  Maybe you don't have very many of a particular Genre, so it is easier to see the whole list at once.  So, when I open my Disco genre, it is usually easier to just see all of the artists at once (unless I'm looking for something specific, like Abba).  But, when I open my Indie genre, I need that A-B, C-D, structure or I have like three "pages" of As.

"All" as a choice provides this flexibility.  Without it, I would have to choose between never seeing all of my Disco artists listed in one view, and scrolling through an endless set of As, then Bs, then Cs, then Ds to try to get to The Decemberists.

EDIT:  I see rjm and gvanbrunt already covered this pretty well.  I use the same thing for my movies too, with a grouped Name category.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 09:23:15 am »

OK, now that I have started configuring the views it suddenly dawned on me what you were talking about. I strongly support it too!
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

rjm

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 08:02:07 pm »

bump

We are expecting a shiny new JRemote release later this week.

Sure would be nice if JRiver would match this with a Show All option.

cgf

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 09:44:54 pm »

Show all was available in DLNA servers views in previous versions, is there a reason that is recalled?

rjm

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 03:51:20 pm »

bump

You seem to be in house cleaning mode so I was hoping you might address this small but very important change.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 04:59:43 pm »

Next build:
NEW: When customizing Media Network views, the 'All' item can be enabled or disabled per view.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 05:01:20 pm »

Good job, guys! :)
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

rjm

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 06:48:32 pm »

Wonderful. Thank you!

)p(

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 11:51:36 pm »

Thanks Matt!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 11:53:27 pm »

I said thanks in the build thread, but I'll say it again here.

Awesomesauce.  Thanks.

cgf

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 10:49:34 am »

Excellent!!! Keep up the good work!

cgf

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 07:55:27 pm »

Test it both for DLNA Servers & Customized views for WebGismo and its working fine. Thanx!
Pages: [1]   Go Up