INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audible clicks in tracks; not when using Windows Media Player [SOLVED]  (Read 1282 times)

Judith

• Recent member

Dear all,

I'm new with JRiver Media Center and currently trying Beta version 17.0.62.
I've installed it on my laptop Thinkpad T60p (W7 enterprise), without any changes of any the configuration options. Previously I've changed a couple of things (f.i. Direct Sound > WASAPI) which was a bad idea as the sound became distorted. Actually I've reinstalled the program, as I wasn't able to get rid of the distorted sound. It might be a good idea, to have the opportunity to reverse back to default settings in the different configurations in the interface?

Description of the problem:
I've ripped my Audio Cd's by using dBpoweramp CD Ripper (all securely ripped in WAV and MP3)
Two tracks of two of my favourite different Albums demonstrate very irritating "clicks". It sounds like that within the track, a new track starts, just at a moment of silence of the (classical) music. It is audible in both ripped WAV, Aif and MP3 files of the same tracks.
However, when I listen to these tracks by using Windows Media Player, there's no audible "click" whatsoever present.

Is there any solution for this?

I'm willing to email the mp3 versions of these tracks to the developers of JRiver Media center, for evaluation.

Looking forward to your reply!

Best regards,
Judith de Roo

Vincent Kars

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Audible clicks in tracks; not when using Windows Media Player
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 09:07:24 am »

It might help if you be more specific about the audio device used e.g. sound card, USB DAC, etc.
In case of USB WASAPI event style might help.
Lowering the hardware buffer size sometimes helps in case of USB: http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Players/MC14/MC_Wasapi.htm

Judith

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 02:09:54 pm »

Thank you for your quick reply, Vincent.

The Thinkpad has its own built-in soundcard: SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio

I own a pair of Shure SE535 Sound Isolating Earphones, directly connected to the soundport of my Thinkpad. No USB whatsoever involved.

Wasapi makes the sound worse, so I'm using Direct Sound.

To make my problem more understandable; I believe using the word "click" is wrong, afterwards:

It just sounds like a track is starting suddenly WITHIN a specific track but continuing the music,  at the moment that the music is silencing. In one track, this happens twice. In another track once. Both classical music (Beethoven piano concerto, Chopin violin concerto).

As stated in my previous posting: these sudden "new continuing tracks" within a track are NOT audible when using Microsoft Media Player.

I've NO clue why this happens when using JRiver Media Center, which is very unfortunate as I'm basically very impressed by JRiver Media Center.

Anyone else have a clue?

Vincent Kars

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 02:25:57 pm »

In Tools > Options > Audio, check Track Change
It is probably set to Gapless, try Gapped
“Do not play silence” should be unchecked

Judith

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 05:45:16 am »

Vincent, you've made MY DAY!
Indeed, your suggestions were the solution for the problem. From now on I can enjoy these wonderfull concerts again. Thank you for your support!

In the meantime, I've changed the configuration from Direct Sound > WASAPI mode again + changed some other settings. And the WASAPI mode works now as it should be; without any distortion.

Actually, I've never before enjoyed my music so much as by now. JRiver Media Center brings the music back alive. And it all sounds now so magically musical! Whether it's pop, blues, jazz or classical music. Definition, punch, "speed", airy are some of the qualifications I now can give when listening to my music. It's just amazing!

Vincent Kars

Re: Audible clicks in tracks; not when using Windows Media Player [SOLVED]
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 06:11:42 am »

Glad to hear your problem is solved.
MC is a very good sounding player indeed and imho WASAPI improves the sound.
It bypasses the Win mixer and as a consequence the dither applied by this mixer is avoided.
A bit more about WASAPI can be found on my website:
http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Players/MC14/MC_Wasapi.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up