INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Can't stream video to a Samsung TV (Series 5) (even when transcoding)  (Read 22313 times)

ReTango

• Recent member

Hi! I just purchased a Samsung Led TV Series 5 mode D (model UN46D550RG, Argentine - Brazilian model). Been using JRiver Media Center since version 7 I think.. Now I have version 17.0.62 installed on Windows 7, and the latest Samsung Firmware (01011)

I read on this forum that MC worked with Samsung TVs. I had a media network with a "Generic DLNA" template, that I used with a LG BR player. I tried it on the Samsung, and some movies worked, but others showed a "not supported file format" message.

I then created a new DLNA server with the "Samsung BD/TV template", but kept getting the message. I switched the encoder to "MPEG2/DVD PAL" (from "MPEG/DVD"), and the message dissapeared, but the screen showed the first frame of the video and froze there. (also the total time of the video that appeared was way too long, e.g. 1163 hrs). I thought this could be a problem with the processing power of the computer making the transcoding, so I tried with a very powerful computer. But kept having the same problem.

I then tried checking "MPEG Video mimetype override", but with no luck. I tried all the encoders, still no luck. The movie I am trying with is a MKV encoded in h264 and ac3.
I tried the same movie with the Samsung AllShare software and it worked perfectly. With Windows it also worked, but it changed the size of the screen.
I would love to use MediaCenter, and as I said, I read in many places that it was working fine with Samsung TVs. I looked at all the posts, here and on other forums, but still cannot solve the problem. Anything I am doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks a lot..

PS: Additionally, I tried to use Samsung Allshare software to stream the content of my NAS drive, with no luck. The program tells me that in order to stream to the Samsung TV I need to have the folder "shared" in Windows, but Windows 7 won't let me "share" a folder of a NAS drive. MS support tells me I must enable "Offline Files Syncing" to be able to share a NAS drive, but my NAS drive has 6TB and my C drive only 150 Gb left.. So I cannot share my videos folder in Windows, and cannot add my movies to Samsung Allshare. If anyone had the same problem, advice welcomed!

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe

Transcoding on the fly is pretty tricky. We still can't transcode all of the various formats to MPEG2/DVD PAL.

You probably should first try turning off video conversion and see what plays. Also, since the Sammy firmware seems to be a moving target, you may or may not need the MPEG video mimetype override switch and settings. Try it without that first, then if you don't have a lot of success, turn on the MPEG video mimetype override and make the Video DLNA Override MPEG_PS_PAL then see what you can play. Reply with your results first before we start messing around with transcode settings.

ReTango

• Recent member

Dear Bob,
Thanks for the prompt reply!!!! I finally solved it, at least for all the videos I tried so far.. Parameters:
Template: Samsung BD/TV
Video Conversion: Never Convert
Advanced:
Check "MPEG video mimetype override"
"Video DLNA Override:" MPEG_PS_PAL

Thanks a lot again!!

PS: just if it's useful, I tried with "Convert unsupportted formats", both with "MPEG2/DVD stream" and "MPEG2/DVD PAL stream", each one with both "MPEG video mimetype override" unchecked, and then checked and with "Video DLNA Override:" MPEG_PS_PAL, (total of 4 different combinations) and it did not work in neither of them: the TV did not show the unsupported format message, but it froze in the first frame.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe

Dear Bob,
Thanks for the prompt reply!!!! I finally solved it, at least for all the videos I tried so far.. Parameters:
Template: Samsung BD/TV
Video Conversion: Never Convert
Advanced:
Check "MPEG video mimetype override"
"Video DLNA Override:" MPEG_PS_PAL

Thanks a lot again!!

PS: just if it's useful, I tried with "Convert unsupportted formats", both with "MPEG2/DVD stream" and "MPEG2/DVD PAL stream", each one with both "MPEG video mimetype override" unchecked, and then checked and with "Video DLNA Override:" MPEG_PS_PAL, (total of 4 different combinations) and it did not work in neither of them: the TV did not show the unsupported format message, but it froze in the first frame.

Thanks for the report.

The reason the override stuff works is that a lot of these devices support more than just the baseline MPEG2 required by DLNA, they just don't claim to play them. It's hard to know exactly what any give DLNA device will play for video without trying it. The "convert when necessary" settings converts everything not required to be supported by the DLNA standard which in this case means to convert everything that isn't MPEG2.

I'm not sure why the conversion isn't working for you though, it really should...

barser

Please check out the software called "PLAYSTATION MEDIA SERVER". Initially it was made for DLNA streams to PS3, but as I tested by myself it works very well with my Samsung SmartTV D6100 (after some tweaks). It transcodes and plays 100% (one hundred percent!) of movies I tried to play (about 100-150 movies in different formats which were downloaded from torrent-trackers).

Please repeat transcoding settings from that brilliant software in next build of JRiver Media Center, it would be amazing!
Pages: [1]   Go Up