INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Open up Windows 7 Professional Firewall?  (Read 2107 times)

darrenjweiss

• Recent member
Open up Windows 7 Professional Firewall?
« on: January 12, 2012, 12:46:05 pm »

I can't seem to get Library Server registered with J River on my new computer.  My old laptop had Windows XP and MC15.  I'm now running Windows 7 and MC16.  I don't think the problem is with the ports on the modem or router as the old system worked.  Can anyone offer clear instructions on how to change the port forwarding on Windows 7 to allow me to connect to MC16?

best,
Darren

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Open up Windows 7 Professional Firewall?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 09:21:16 pm »

Both systems have the same version of MC?

It should be sufficient to generate an Access Key on the server, configure Authentication (your chosen username/password), and enter the same on the client.

Will presume you have Media Network enabled. :-)
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

darrenjweiss

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 11:29:11 pm »

Media network is enabled...The old machine used MC15, and now I'm onto MC16.  So, I have a new operating system (Windows 7 Professional) and MC version (16).

Thanks,
Darren

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 03:08:02 pm »

The new computer has to be able to get out to the internet at least once to get an access key from our server.

darrenjweiss

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 03:17:57 pm »

The new computer has to be able to get out to the internet at least once to get an access key from our server.

I'm connected to the internet...the error message I get from MC16 is "Library Server could not be registered with J River.  Please configure your firewall and router to allow incoming traffic on port 52199."

As I was able to connect with my old computer, I'm assuming the problem is not my router.  I don't know Windows 7 very well, so I'm hoping for some explicit direction on configuring the firewall (no other firewall is installed aside from whatever is enabled within Windows 7).

Thanks,
Darren 

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 04:10:41 pm »

I'm connected to the internet...the error message I get from MC16 is "Library Server could not be registered with J River.  Please configure your firewall and router to allow incoming traffic on port 52199."

As I was able to connect with my old computer, I'm assuming the problem is not my router.  I don't know Windows 7 very well, so I'm hoping for some explicit direction on configuring the firewall (no other firewall is installed aside from whatever is enabled within Windows 7).

Thanks,
Darren  
The "Please Configure..." part of that message is incorrect (and we just fixed it).
The important part is "Library Server could not be registered with J River."
This means that MC is trying to talk to our server to get it to generate an access key and it can't get there from your PC.
It's just a normal http connection so for some reason something on your PC or network setup is blocking port 80 connections.
Obviously that means if the problem is generic, you wouldn't be able to use a web browser on your PC either!

The only thing weird we've heard about where this happened before was with a user that was running Avast! They had to uninstall it to get the Library Server registration to work, never could figure out why.

The part about "allowing incoming traffic on port 52199" is only if you are trying to use your JRiver Media Center library server with a JRiver Media Center client from somewhere outside of your network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up