INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you shutdown your system via Gizmo  (Read 5514 times)

djmob

Can you shutdown your system via Gizmo
« on: January 12, 2012, 04:58:03 pm »

I currently have MC setup to launch on Windows startup in theater mode.  All that is required is for me to push the power button on my HTPC and I'm up in a few seconds thanks to my SSD :)  I was hoping to use Gizmo to shutdown my system via the shutdown option in MC, but Gizmo appears to lack that option (correct me if I'm wrong).  I don't have a dedicated keyboard (only attach one if I really need to) and was hoping to exclusively use Gizmo to control my system.  I'm I missing something here.  If not, any suggestions as to how to shutdown my HTCP without a keyboard are welcome.

Thanks.

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can you shutdown your system via Gizmo
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 04:59:15 pm »

stupid question but....  how about the power button on the HTPC?
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

djmob

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 12:02:37 pm »

@pcstockton Not actually a stupid question at all.  I've only recently built my first HTPC so I am new to this.  Using Windows on a standard PC/laptop setup pushing the power button usually just turns of the computer without allowing Windows to shutdown cleanly which is a no-no afaik.  Would be great if I could have the power button cycle down Windows correctly though.  Can that be done?  I'm going to google this a bit more.

djmob

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 12:07:24 pm »

I think I found the answer to my question.  From Windows Control Panel->Hardware and Sound->Power Options->System Settings you can chose what the system does when the power button is depressed.  By default it is set to "Do Nothing", but this can be changed to "Shut down".  Learned something new today!

pcstockton

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 12:31:13 pm »

Cheers!

on my PC (never checked the settings) a single push correctly boots and shuts down.  A prolonged push & hold, when the PC is running, initiates the instant shutdown.  Of course I would only do this if locked up (rare).

Curious though.... I have always of course shut down properly.  What is the major issue with not?  What happens if you just pull the plug other than losing unsaved data.  Surely every time a region loses power we dont have PC's failing en masse.

Is there really an issue with a forced shutdown.  Thoughts?

Thanks!
Patrick

HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 03:05:16 pm »

Cheers!

on my PC (never checked the settings) a single push correctly boots and shuts down.  A prolonged push & hold, when the PC is running, initiates the instant shutdown.  Of course I would only do this if locked up (rare).

Curious though.... I have always of course shut down properly.  What is the major issue with not?  What happens if you just pull the plug other than losing unsaved data.  Surely every time a region loses power we dont have PC's failing en masse.

Is there really an issue with a forced shutdown.  Thoughts?

Thanks!
Patrick

From what I understand, if the cached filesystem data isn't "flushed" when you power off you risk losing only files on NTFS, not directories. However, this changes if you have disk write caching enabled. In that case, in theory, the journaled metadata could be in the drives write cache when powered off which could cause major losses.

pcstockton

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 04:51:04 pm »

thanks bob!
Pages: [1]   Go Up