INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I get MC17 to search other library columns?  (Read 1499 times)

pauly139

• World Citizen
How do I get MC17 to search other library columns?
« on: January 13, 2012, 08:23:45 am »

I'm wanting MC17 to search the Description and Notes columns when I enter a word into the "Search" field in the top right corner of the window. How do I add those 2 into the list of library fields that it searches?

Thx
Paul.

wig

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How do I get MC17 to search other library columns?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 08:33:27 am »

Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Manage Library Fields

Select your Field and check the Default search field box at the bottom of the screen.

pauly139

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 08:43:23 am »

Thanks - I tried that and it doesn't work. At least words that I am searching for within 'Notes' and 'Description' aren't returning the appropriate library entries.

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 10:26:20 am »

Thanks - I tried that and it doesn't work. At least words that I am searching for within 'Notes' and 'Description' aren't returning the appropriate library entries.

Are you sure you are searching the entire library? Make sure your view scheme contains the entries you are trying to search for (use a default view like Files). Then, click Ctrl+F to start a search of the entire scheme, otherwise you are just searching the current Playing Now or other active list.

pauly139

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 10:45:36 am »

Tried that - selected the "Files" view under Videos, and the search still doesn't return results from Description or Notes, even though they have the 'Default Search' option checked.

pauly139

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 08:54:31 pm »

Can anyone else say whether they have MC17 successfully searching Large Value Strings? I'd like to know whether to stop wasting my time trying to get it to work or keep investigating.

Thx
Paul

rick.ca

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 09:50:33 pm »

Searching for a value in [Notes] doesn't seem to work, but searching in a custom Large Value field does. If that's by design, I don't know why. :-\

pauly139

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 10:27:10 pm »

Thanks Rick - that being the case I'll just make myself some custom fields and use those.

Paul.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 11:32:47 pm »

Searching for a value in [Notes] doesn't seem to work, but searching in a custom Large Value field does. If that's by design, I don't know why. :-\

Just a hunch...

Aren't the contents of text files, html files, etc. when imported, stored in Notes and are in a compressed form?  If this is correct, searching Notes would require decompressing said Notes entries before they could be search, and this is likely to be slow.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

rick.ca

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 12:17:54 am »

That's a good hunch. I wonder, however, if it applies only to stock large value fields and not custom ones. Another quick test: Searching the stock field [Description] fails, but searching my custom [Review] field works.

pauly139

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 12:29:20 am »

I can confirm the same. I made custom fields with definitions identical to [notes], moved the content, and now searching works fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up