INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 17 periodically crashes - tried the usual stuff - HELP!  (Read 1148 times)

khollister

• Recent member
MC 17 periodically crashes - tried the usual stuff - HELP!
« on: January 21, 2012, 07:38:12 am »

I have had a problem where MC periodically crashes (every couple of days). This has been consistent across all versions of MC17 (including 71). I get a dialog box calling out an NTDLL error. I have tried all the normal stuff in the stability thread but nothing helps. I am not running the server and am only using MC for video. It has never crashed while playing video, only from Theater View or Standard View. The log shows no crash or exception messages and the last several log entries before the crash happens are CLoaderThread and CMCResourceHelper messages that all indicate what appears to be normal completion of processes. I had thought it might be related to sleep since it had always appeared to have happened as I role up the HTPC to play something. However, it just crashed in the same way as I was examining some metadata in Standard View using VNC from my main computer, so I gather it is not sleep related perhaps.

FWIW, this was also happening in MC16 as I recall, although I was not regularly using MC until version 17.

It wouldn't be such a big problem except there is no way to clear the dialog and restart MC without using my laptop to remote into the HTPC., and that is not particularly wife-friendly.

A way to not display the error dialog and automatically restart MC would be a good workaround, but I see no way to accomplish that.

BTW, just noticed another new crash thread and the comments. I looked in EventViewer and the only errors present are the VNC lost connection error when MC crashed and the NTDLL exception caused by MC17.

I did try disabling Security Essentials but that didn't keep this from happening.

There is nothing else running (or even installed) on the HTPC other than the RealVNC server. I'm using Win7 Home 64 bit

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 17 periodically crashes - tried the usual stuff - HELP!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 07:52:03 am »

There are a lot of websites discussing the NTDLL.dll error (do a Google search). Many of them report that this error has been related to Internt Explorer "add-ons" and suggest disbaling them. Also the error can be related to hardware/driver issues, so check with your computer manufacturer (or video card manuf.) to see that you have the latest drivers.

khollister

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 08:01:40 am »

yeah, but I have no IE add-ons installed and there is nothing else connected to or installed in the HTPC other than the GT440 and an Intel NIC - latest drivers on both. Windows is fully patched as well. This is a pretty stripped system.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 08:29:15 am »

It sounds like something else is unstable.  Can you eliminate VNC (for testing)?

Bad memory could do that. 

Updating drivers for video and network is always worth trying.

khollister

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 08:42:59 am »

It sounds like something else is unstable.  Can you eliminate VNC (for testing)?

Bad memory could do that. 

Updating drivers for video and network is always worth trying.

I'll try shutting down RealVNC, although the event log says the NTDLL error is caused by MC17.exe

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 08:52:31 am »

When MC17 first came out I had regular crashes, but now it's pretty stable. I'm not sure if any of the following were related or just placebo :
I uninstalled and unregistered all other codecs and other versions of madVR/LAV that I had manually installed.
I went back to the original Windows7 qdvd file rather than the xp version (I was trying to circumvent the madVR macrovision error for DVD)
I uninstalled and reinstalled MC17 (but kept the library)

Now seems more stable. Remember to redo any settings after reinstalling.

Also I tend to use RO-Std most of the time now, with occasional ROHQ. Purely because I haven't had much time to mess about with it and I *know* RO-Std is absolutely stable.

SBR
Pages: [1]   Go Up