INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best possible bluray/DVD PQ settings  (Read 2391 times)

soulrider4ever

• Recent member
Best possible bluray/DVD PQ settings
« on: January 20, 2012, 04:59:49 am »

I am a current MC16 user and planning on going to 17.  My PC is a OC 2600k with 6970 gpu, tons of 'horsepower' - so what specific settings can I setup to get the most out of this newest build of MC for best possible picture quality?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Best possible bluray/DVD PQ settings
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 06:52:33 am »

Please see the "Getting Started" topic on our wiki.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 08:35:59 am »

I am a current MC16 user and planning on going to 17.  My PC is a OC 2600k with 6970 gpu, tons of 'horsepower' - so what specific settings can I setup to get the most out of this newest build of MC for best possible picture quality?

Use RO+HQ and then you can tweak some of the settings in MadVR to your liking. Other than that there is nothing else you need to do. That't the beauty of MC.

soulrider4ever

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 10:41:51 am »

Ok - but just the settings for hardware accel, video reclock, etc?, 24 vs 23 fps..

CountryBumkin

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 05:49:09 pm »

Ok - but just the settings for hardware accel, video reclock, etc?, 24 vs 23 fps..

For my setup, the best settings are:
Audio > WASAPI Event Style.
Video > Check box for "Red October HQ"  Note: in madVR there are some choices that can effect picture quality (I use Chroma= SoftCubic 70, Luma= Lanczoz 4 tap,but these are personal preferences. There is no correct setting).
Video > Check the box for "Harware Accelerate Video Decoding when possible".
Video > Check the box for "VideoClock" if you don't use Bitstreaming. Otherwise leave it off (I don't use it because I have "Bitstreaming HDMI" selected).
Video > Display Settings Check the box for " Enable automatic display settings changing"
Video > Dispaly Settings For "Film (23.976)", I use "1920x1080x32x23" then in my nVidia video card settings I set the display for 23p and apply manual settings. If you have an nvidia card I can give you these settings (or try it in auto first). Same for others (Film (24fps) = 1920x1080x32x24, etc., I then use the "Default use Desktop Settings". Just be sure that the fps shown for each movie/file (Standard View>Video>Files) has the correct fps as MC will use whatever is listed.

That's it for my setup. The rest of my setup (any changes from defaults) is just for managing my media and displaying it the way I want it.
Good Luck.

khollister

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 07:19:11 am »

For my setup, the best settings are:
Audio > WASAPI Event Style.
Video > Check box for "Red October HQ"  Note: in madVR there are some choices that can effect picture quality (I use Chroma= SoftCubic 70, Luma= Lanczoz 4 tap,but these are personal preferences. There is no correct setting).
Video > Check the box for "Harware Accelerate Video Decoding when possible".
Video > Check the box for "VideoClock" if you don't use Bitstreaming. Otherwise leave it off (I don't use it because I have "Bitstreaming HDMI" selected).
Video > Display Settings Check the box for " Enable automatic display settings changing"
Video > Dispaly Settings For "Film (23.976)", I use "1920x1080x32x23" then in my nVidia video card settings I set the display for 23p and apply manual settings. If you have an nvidia card I can give you these settings (or try it in auto first). Same for others (Film (24fps) = 1920x1080x32x24, etc., I then use the "Default use Desktop Settings". Just be sure that the fps shown for each movie/file (Standard View>Video>Files) has the correct fps as MC will use whatever is listed.

That's it for my setup. The rest of my setup (any changes from defaults) is just for managing my media and displaying it the way I want it.
Good Luck.

a couple questions:

1) so VideoClock doesn't work with bit streamed audio? (makes sense now that I think about it I guess)
2) what "auto" setting are you referring to on the Nvidia framerate?
3) could you send me your custom settings for Nvidia (I'm using a GT440)?

thanks

Keith

CountryBumkin

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 07:44:03 am »

I have the nVidia GTS450 and GT440. I use the same settings for both. Here is a screen shot of the settings. Note the Refresh Rate (Hz) =23 and under manual the Refresh Rate is 23.977. The rest of the settings are defaults. By Auto, I meant where it says Manual" in the picture you could just leave it at Auto (and see how it works for you). This info/settings comes from Renethx at AVS forum.

khollister

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 07:57:31 am »

OK - I'm being stupid. I created the custom resolution, but there is nothing different showing up in MC Video Options to select as a resolution for Film (23.976).

CountryBumkin

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 10:05:24 am »

In MC Tools>Options>Video>Display Settings under "Film (23.976)" you use the drop down box to enter/select "1920x1080x32x23". The 23 at the the end tells MC to use the nVidia display refresh rate of "23" which is now set up in nVidia control panel as 23.977 (the closest you can get to 23.976). Then when you play a BD movie that has a fps of 23.976 (as listed in the FPS field for the movie, you will get as close as possible).

khollister

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 10:17:49 am »

In MC Tools>Options>Video>Display Settings under "Film (23.976)" you use the drop down box to enter/select "1920x1080x32x23". The 23 at the the end tells MC to use the nVidia display refresh rate of "23" which is now set up in nVidia control panel as 23.977 (the closest you can get to 23.976). Then when you play a BD movie that has a fps of 23.976 (as listed in the FPS field for the movie, you will get as close as possible).

I thought I did exactly that, but I got a black screen with "no input" on the TV when I tried to play a movie (ROHQ). Deleted the custom resolution and everything is back to normal. I guess I need to try again.

As a side note, I discovered the Theater View overscan border adjustment which did let me eliminate the desktop scaling I had been using = 2% did the trick for me.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 12:50:55 pm »

I guess your TV doesn't like the settings. Not unusual. I think that is why most people don't try and tell others what is the "best" setup - because it's different for everyone depending on their hardware.
Pages: [1]   Go Up