INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDMI vs. AVR  (Read 2844 times)

paul.raulerson

• World Citizen
  • Let's get dangerous!
HDMI vs. AVR
« on: January 16, 2012, 04:35:24 pm »

I am having a bit of a problem with selecting the audio device when I have HDMI active.

I select the HDMI audio device, but if I switch the AVR to a different input, and then back to the PC with MC on it,  MC has gone back to the "default" audio device. I suppose this is because the HDMI AVR stopped signaling or something, but it would be nice if Windows or MC picked it up and reset it when it is switched back. Works fine if I go in and manually reset that.

-Paul

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: HDMI vs. AVR
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 05:00:02 pm »

Not sure - but maybe soemthing like "HDMI-On" would solve your problem.
HDMIOn is a tiny program that turns the monitor off and on, which resends the EDID data bringing back the TV to life. Suggested usage is to assign the program to a function or hotkey.http://thydzik.com/tag/hdmi/

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 10:25:47 am »

Did you configure audio output to a specific device or are you just using the standard device ?
The audio output can be configured in both the audio section and the video section.

paul.raulerson

• World Citizen
  • Let's get dangerous!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 11:32:49 am »

I have the HDMI audio set as a rule in the Red October processing session. What seems to be happening is when I switch the AVR to a different input, Windows deletes the HDMI audio device.

When I switch back, after a few seconds, the video restores, but Windows does not seem to restore the HDMI Audio Device. End result is that MC complains that it cannot find the audio device when any video tries to play.

-Paul

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 01:13:44 pm »

Are you able to verify that Windows do not detect the HDMI Audio device again ? Otherwise MC obviously forget to rescan the audio devices when something changes, I guess.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 03:29:12 pm »

For the record, I do not have this problem with my Denon and an AMD 6870.

Have you tried updating your video card drivers?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

paul.raulerson

• World Citizen
  • Let's get dangerous!
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 04:41:26 pm »

Are you able to verify that Windows do not detect the HDMI Audio device again ? Otherwise MC obviously forget to rescan the audio devices when something changes, I guess.

Windows sees the audio device, JRiver does not. Very very wierd.

-Paul

paul.raulerson

• World Citizen
  • Let's get dangerous!
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 04:45:05 pm »

For the record, I do not have this problem with my Denon and an AMD 6870.

Have you tried updating your video card drivers?

For the record, I do.  :-\

The video drivers are current, Windows is current, MC (v17) is current, and the firmware on the NAD is current. Guess I should try changing cables, but I cannot figure out why Windows would see it but no MC.

Oh, the HDMI interface reports itself capable of 44.1K to 192K sample rates at 24 bit too, but will only play at 48K. So perhaps there is just something goofy about the HDMI adpater in this cheap little machine. I suppose I can try a Mac with Windows loaded on it and see if that works.

-Paul

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 11:26:36 pm »

Oh, the HDMI interface reports itself capable of 44.1K to 192K sample rates at 24 bit too, but will only play at 48K.

I have this same problem with an Onkyo receiver. They claim it's an nVidia problem; nVidia claims it's an Onkyo problem.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 01:04:18 am »

After fighting for months with my HTPC, I finally broke down and got one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Gefen-EXT-HDMI-EDIDP-HDmi-Detective-Plus/dp/B001RIMZUW

Now my PC always sees the TV/AVR as always on, and I never have weird screen size change bugs or loss of HDMI audio.  Since I hooked it up, everything just works.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 01:51:49 pm »

After fighting for months with my HTPC, I finally broke down and got one of these:

Now my PC always sees the TV/AVR as always on, and I never have weird screen size change bugs or loss of HDMI audio.  Since I hooked it up, everything just works.

So, with one of those it wouldn't change the screen resolution to the default when you turn off your TV and then remote in via VNC?

I might just have to click buy on that Amazon link.  Wanna repost the link with an Amazon Associate ID attached?

paul.raulerson

• World Citizen
  • Let's get dangerous!
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 08:48:03 pm »

Cool!  I will order one of these right away. (Well, if you have a link to post that gives you credit, please post that. I can order till tomorrow afternoon to get Monday delivery. :)

-Paul

audunth

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 10:48:31 pm »

When I turn off and back on my receiver, the HDMI out of the AMD video card shuts down, and doesn't turn on again until I open Sound in the Winblows control panel. Then it appears as not plugged in with the little red x, which turns green in about 1-2 seconds. Then I can close the sound options. MC automatically sees the HDMI and switches to it (if I've selected the zone that uses the HDMI out), so I don't have to do anything in MC's options.

Leaving the main zone on my receiver on at all times would solve the problem, I guess, but there's enough heat generated in my AV cabinet already.

I might have to get me one of those HDMI Detectives too! Too bad they're double the price here in Norway...
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 10:15:02 am »

When I turn off and back on my receiver, the HDMI out of the AMD video card shuts down, and doesn't turn on again until I open Sound in the Winblows control panel. Then it appears as not plugged in with the little red x, which turns green in about 1-2 seconds. Then I can close the sound options. MC automatically sees the HDMI and switches to it (if I've selected the zone that uses the HDMI out), so I don't have to do anything in MC's options.

This does not happen to me on my AMD card.  What OS, GPU, and version of Catalyst are you using?

audunth

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 02:21:40 pm »

It's been happening for quite some time, through many Catalyst versions and even changing from a HD4550 to a HD6850 card didn't change the behavior.

I know there was a time when it didn't behave like this, so I don't know if there was a driver update, a receiver firmware update or a Windows update that caused it. I'm pretty sure it hasn't anything to do with MC, since it happens even when MC isn't running.

I'm running Windows 7 32bit, a Core2Duo E6300 processor on an Asus motherboard and Catalyst 11.9 at the moment. Soon installing my new Asus motherboard with a Core i5 2500K (and probably doing a full reinstallation of Windows), see if that helps :)
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 02:37:29 pm »

It's been happening for quite some time, through many Catalyst versions and even changing from a HD4550 to a HD6850 card didn't change the behavior.

I'm on a 6870 on Win 7 x64 and it is fine, and I was previously using a 4870 and it was fine (so same generation of GPUs in both cases, and in the current case, actually the same exact silicon).  So, unless 32-bit Windows 7 is broken and 64-bit is not (which seems VERY unlikely), then I'd say that something very weird is going on with your system.

So either:

1. Your AVR/TV combination is different somehow.  I don't know how though because I can turn mine off, or completely disconnect the HDMI and then reconnect it, and Windows detects it just fine.  It seems like nothing an AVR does would be "worse" than this, but who knows?

2. Your system has some other weirdness causing the issue.

Pages: [1]   Go Up