INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tv and Movie info suggestion.  (Read 1721 times)

galahad1974

• World Citizen
Tv and Movie info suggestion.
« on: January 16, 2012, 04:58:10 pm »

Could you add the ability to append this data into the current fields? this is significant as Wikipedia generally has more production type info as a description and TMDB has a synopsis, ad love both. so after getting the info from TMDB, id love to be able to click on Wikipedia, or another entry and select an append box so that the info wont overwrite the other data already there.

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Tv and Movie info suggestion.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 11:29:30 pm »

Generally, combining data from two sources into one field is rarely going to be a good solution. Hopefully, when the meta data retrieval system is complete, it will include the means to control which field data is written to and whether or not it should overwrite existing data. You will then be able to save similar data elements from different sources in separate fields. If you want that data presented as one field, it can be combined using an expression. That way, you'll always know where the data is coming from, and will be able to update it should it change.

galahad1974

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 12:01:35 am »

I guess my response would be if you don want to do it then don't, but the option to do so wouldn't be a bad thing. Again, its just a suggestion, and the same thing can be accomplished with a cut and paste, but the idea that giving the option to do this, in a place where it would definitely have benefits in some cases would be a bad idea because it would confuse the source of the data doesnt make much sense to me. again, if you dont want the confusion, dont use the feature.as a tool it seems like it could be useful though, even if just for the description field.. not trying to start a war, or be sarcastic at all. i just thought that your reply was a little dismissive for a reason that doesn't apply any more often that would the reason for the request. Especialy since (and maybe im wrong here, very possible) but i dont see anywhere where it records which source was used for the data anyway.

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 01:30:33 am »

In an environment like the current one—where records can only be updated one-at-time by one source at-a-time—it makes little difference. You could add the data from the first source, then append data from the second. If the data at the first source changed, you would just do both steps over again. But we're headed for an automated system where many or all records can be updated automatically without user-intervention. In that environment, the manual appending of data is not practical. Also, with data from two sources being saved in one field, there's no easy way to determine which records might benefit from an update. With separate fields, you would be able to (for example) select all movies for which [Description.TMDb]=[] and run an update.

galahad1974

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 01:32:45 am »

fair enough, im just not sure we should not suggest the addition of features based on the current situation, in order to avoid complications to a future state that may not come to be for a long while? either way, i really like this feature :)

rick.ca

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 01:42:44 am »

This future is not so far off the developers would want to spend time doing anything that doesn't move them closer to what they want that future to be. I'm hoping it's a robust and fully automatic meta data retrieval system, not a collection of tools that tries to pretend manual data collection is acceptable.

galahad1974

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 01:46:30 am »

I officially withdraw my suggestion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up