INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Impressions of MC17 So Far  (Read 1518 times)

AVTechMan

• World Citizen
My Impressions of MC17 So Far
« on: January 17, 2012, 03:46:50 pm »

I've been out of the loop for awhile with MC but have decided to give it another go with version 17. Compared to 16 which I already have, I have to say I am impressed with the improvements in MC17, especially with the TV episode listings and summaries, which wasn't possible to do with 16. With all of the work I have done on this in the past months in learning my way around with some help its getting easier to configure alot of different settings. With that said..

The only downside so far to 17 is that I have to do the "Movie/TV Info.." command for each episode of the TV series. And especially for those with 100+ episodes that can be pretty tedious time-wise (3 Stooges, TMNT, Family Guy, etc.) It would be nice to have it where you can select all the eps and have it gather all the info at one time, similar to how MCM would do it. Plus, for the original Tom and Jerry episodes (from the 40's and 50's), 17 can't seem to find the data for that either, but the info is on the TVDB website. It took alot of work to get the T&J eps to list properly in Mediabrowser (which MCM picked up with no problem) since the format for them was pretty tricky like this:

\TV Shows\Animation\Tom and Jerry\Season 1940\s1940e01.Puss Gets The Boot

TVDB has T&J's season listed by year rather than by number like most other shows.

Right now I am testing MC17 on my bedroom HTPC and may consider adding it to my laptop as well. If all goes well with it I may consider paying the $28 to upgrade. However on my i5 HTPC in the main room I will have to stick with WMC+MPC-HC for now as it uses the Ceton tuner. I figure once MC finally has Ceton tuner support and Cablecard, then I may consider changing the system to MC.

So far, so good!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: My Impressions of MC17 So Far
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 03:54:36 pm »

The only downside so far to 17 is that I have to do the "Movie/TV Info.." command for each episode of the TV series.

This will (optionally) be part of auto-import in a coming build.  That means getting images and metadata for movies and TV will be automatic, assuming Media Center has reliable names, seasons, and episodes (which Carnac should get automatically from the filenames).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 10:38:36 am »

Just to check, Matt...

There will be, eventually, a way to manually apply this to whole groups of videos, right?

Just two nights ago, I spent about a half-hour manually Getting Info for two entire seasons of a particular show.... One at a time.  For every single one, I accepted the "first hit" that the Get Info wizard located, and it was incredibly tedious.  I wouldn't have done it except that my wife was watching the show and complaining that she didn't have the descriptions and whatnot (how quickly she got used to that, eh?)...

The Auto-Import method is good for newly imported recordings, but I really need a way to select an entire [Series] and apply it to big groups of files all at once too.  Some examples of why:

1. Back catalog: I have a bunch of stuff already imported that needs updated.
2. Large Groups of Files:  I might import a big set of files (maybe an entire season of a particular show) that needs some "massaging" in MC before the Get Info dialog will work correctly, because Carnac doesn't have enough info to pre-tag them for me.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 10:59:58 am »

The Auto-Import method is good for newly imported recordings, but I really need a way to select an entire [Series] and apply it to big groups of files all at once too.  Some examples of why:

The new auto-import option 'Get movie & TV info' runs against the entire library.

It looks up metadata for files matching the following criteria:

1) The file is a movie or TV show (based on media sub type)
2) A lookup for the file hasn't been automatically performed in the last year
3) The file does not already have metadata (defined as a filled description, actors, or director for movies / filled description or actors for TV shows)
4) For TV shows, the file must have a valid season and episode number

Running the tool manually against a set of files would be nice but there are some complexities.  For example, only some files are eligible for automatic lookup (see #1-#4 above) but I think messaging this to the user could get confusing.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 12:06:05 pm »

Hmmmm....

This could be troublesome, then, though perhaps not.  I'll post more in another thread.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up