INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA – Android  (Read 4255 times)

Vincent Kars

• Citizen of the Universe
DLNA – Android
« on: January 18, 2012, 10:24:21 am »

My phone runs AllShare by Samsung, a DLNA app.
On the phone I can see the MC library and play from it on the phone or play to the PC.

The reverse is less successful.
WMP/Win media sharing sees the library on the phone but most tags are missing.
All album titles are blank and for some reason or other the contributing artist is filled with the composer tag and the composer is blank.

MC is totally unable to read the library on the phone.
It generates an error message

Is there a setting in MC that should be changed?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: DLNA – Android
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 10:36:20 am »

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Vincent Kars

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 10:43:08 am »

Any idea why Win Media sharing is able to read the library and  MC not?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 10:09:32 pm »

Any idea why Win Media sharing is able to read the library and  MC not?
If win media is doing DLNA (and not Windows Media Connect), it's probably browsing instead of searching.
You could try a different android DLNA app, Skifta seemed pretty complete to me though I can't test it any more since my current android OS is too old. Also, it is/was free.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 11:27:41 am »

I just checked and skifta can't be pushed to. Are you trying to just use the library on the phone to play in MC or are you trying to use MC as a remote and use the phone for playback and server?

Vincent Kars

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 12:36:46 pm »

In Playing Now I see the phone
Applied Load Library with the results as mentioned above.

I don't see any Play To option to use MC to play to the phone

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 03:56:38 pm »

In Playing Now I see the phone
Applied Load Library with the results as mentioned above.

I don't see any Play To option to use MC to play to the phone
If you are browsing your MC library and pick something, a playlist, song album etc and click on the phone as the zone in Playing Now, it should just play stuff from your MC library. You could also drag and drop stuff from your library to the phone in Playing Now (or right click on stuff in your library and send-to the phone to play).

Vincent Kars

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 04:20:04 pm »

Doesn't work, the phone doesn't appear as an audio device.

Thanks

Vincent Kars

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 04:30:34 pm »

Tried the same using WMP
WMP can browse the library on the phone but won't discover the phone as a Play To device either
Looks like a problem with Samsungs AllShare to me

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 07:55:27 pm »

Tried the same using WMP
WMP can browse the library on the phone but won't discover the phone as a Play To device either
Looks like a problem with Samsungs AllShare to me
I tried for a long time today to find a Android DLNA renderer without success. I think that one might not exist yet.
Supposedly 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) has some DLNA built into it. How much, I don't know. Perhaps I'll borrow my sons phone and check it out...

Vincent Kars

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 03:46:24 am »

Tried UpnPLay
Works nice, albums are displayed as album.
But no PlayTo either

monkbroc

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 11:08:38 pm »

I also looked for quite a while for a DNLA Renderer for Android so I could push music from MC to an older phone I hooked up in the kitchen.

I did find that the app aVia Media Center works fine as a Renderer. It requires Android 2.3.7.

I can now use my newer Android phone with the Gizmo app to decide if the music should play in the kitchen or the living room. Awesome!

I hope it works for you too!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 11:43:29 am »

I also looked for quite a while for a DNLA Renderer for Android so I could push music from MC to an older phone I hooked up in the kitchen.

I did find that the app aVia Media Center works fine as a Renderer. It requires Android 2.3.7.

I can now use my newer Android phone with the Gizmo app to decide if the music should play in the kitchen or the living room. Awesome!

I hope it works for you too!
Thanks for that info. I'll give it a try on my son's phone. 2.1 is the newest I have unforch...

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 05:24:03 pm »

It seems that ArkMC works as a pushable renderer on version 2.2 (with the most recent build of MC 17). One caveat is that it doesn't seem to support seeking at this time.

Wryce

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 03:01:48 pm »

I would like to add PlugPlayer as an option here it works like a charm. althou it's not for free but all album art is available when you push the song or songs to the phone.

Just long press on your phone in the unit list in PlugPlayer and choose edit and then check the control box.

//Wryce

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2012, 12:08:55 pm »

I would like to add PlugPlayer as an option here it works like a charm. althou it's not for free but all album art is available when you push the song or songs to the phone.

Just long press on your phone in the unit list in PlugPlayer and choose edit and then check the control box.

//Wryce
Oh that's interesting. I didn't know PlugPlayer was pushable on android, we've only got the ios version.

monkbroc

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 09:25:34 pm »

A while back I wrote about using aVia for playing to an Android phone. That setup was flaky. Sometimes it worked, then the next day it wouldn't. Same thing with PlugPlayer. Also, PlugPlayer doesn't seem to send out the correct DLNA notifications so it would take my phone ~8 minutes to show up in MC under Playing Now...

I am now using BubbleUPnP as my Android DLNA Media Renderer of choice. So far it works great. It shows up instantly in MC, it works well with Gizmo. I now have a perfect setup to control my music in the kitchen from my pocket! Try the free version and if you like it, the paid version removes some limitations.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 11:35:08 am »

A while back I wrote about using aVia for playing to an Android phone. That setup was flaky. Sometimes it worked, then the next day it wouldn't. Same thing with PlugPlayer. Also, PlugPlayer doesn't seem to send out the correct DLNA notifications so it would take my phone ~8 minutes to show up in MC under Playing Now...

I am now using BubbleUPnP as my Android DLNA Media Renderer of choice. So far it works great. It shows up instantly in MC, it works well with Gizmo. I now have a perfect setup to control my music in the kitchen from my pocket! Try the free version and if you like it, the paid version removes some limitations.
Interesting, I tried it before it had renderer capabilities. I'll try it again...
Pages: [1]   Go Up