INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Time for a new device  (Read 2876 times)

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
Time for a new device
« on: January 17, 2012, 04:14:56 pm »

I've just got round to deleting the non-functional app and re-downloading it. When I try to move it from the Mac to the ipod it says "The app "JRemote" was not installed on the iPod because it requires a newer version of iPod software."

Well, that explains why it didn't automatically update, but it doesn't reflect well on either Apple and the app store or the software writer.

My Ios is up to date, v4.2.1 - the latest available version for my ipod. Unfortunately the app store JRemote page now says that it needs v4.3 or higher.

time for a newer iOS device my friend.
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

wombat66

• World Citizen
Time for a new device
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 05:36:05 pm »

Depending on what iPod/iPhone Bill is running, os 4.2.1 is the latest version that will work on it. I know for a fact that the iPhone 3G only goes up to OS 4.2.1

Yosemithe

• Recent member
Time for a new device
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 06:13:11 pm »

Looking into getting JRemote also but... I own an iPod Touch 2G with iOS 4.2.1... Any compatible version of JRemote out there?

BillT

• World Citizen
Time for a new device
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 03:13:42 am »

time for a newer iOS device my friend.

Thanks for the advice, but I fail to see why I should shell out a couple of hundred pounds for a new device, just because one software developer can't cope.

I run a couple of other apps on it that are kept up to date and they work fine.

pcstockton

Time for a new device
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 08:38:10 am »

Thanks for the advice, but I fail to see why I should shell out a couple of hundred pounds for a new device

It is fairly clear why.  So you can run this SWEET app.

-patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

cgf

• Recent member
Time for a new device
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 03:03:48 pm »

I use DLNA Server views to play my media files to my TV. It would very helpful if I could choose in JRemote wich views to read and display (a. Views for Gismo, WebRemote, ... and b. Viewa for DLNA Servers). In this way I would be forced to maintain two different view sets.

Yosemithe

• Recent member
Time for a new device
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 03:51:08 pm »

-patrick

That makes for a fair amount of money just to get a.... remote control.

pcstockton

Time for a new device
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 04:32:43 pm »

That makes for a fair amount of money just to get a.... remote control.

Well you get more than a remote control to be honest.  And you could sell your old iPod.

If I was in your shoes I would be on the lookout for a refurbed iPhone4 or a 1st gen iPad.

Given the fickle nature of technology you should be happy you got this much use out of it.

Yosemithe

• Recent member
Time for a new device
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 09:08:47 pm »

Well.... other than some normal scratches on the back... the touch screen is mint, battery is holding charge... I mean it is still working flawlessly. And to me it is a shame that I have to change because of software compatibility. On the other hand... a few years is like eternity in the new technologies world and that promotes production and consuming while our old earth is asking for some relief...

I'll chew on this (!!) but if you ever come across an app that would do the job on the 2G... let me know!

rjm

Time for a new device
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 09:26:10 pm »

in the new technologies world and that promotes production and consuming while our old earth is asking for some relief...
Spot on. Technology is a flattering word we use to describe innovative ways to consume non-renewable resources, especially energy.

I had a high end laptop that I babied and expected to last for the rest of my life. It died and cannot be repaired. If I replace it it will be with a used $250 unit. Same with my DSLR camera. Perfectly good early model Nikon. It died. I paid $300 to have Nikon fix it. Lasted a year and died again. The matrix has no power if we refuse to play.

BillT

• World Citizen
Re: Time for a new device
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 12:05:02 pm »

-patrick

I don't know how sweet the app is. On the face of it it looks to be no better than Gizmo. I don't really care as I was only trying it to see what it was like - just rather annoyed at being ripped off.

The ipod in question is 18 months old. The idea of a rather expensive, perfectly adequately working device being thrown away is rather repugnant to me, especially as the only reason for throwing it away would be to run a superfluous, questionable piece of software.

As it happens, I did get this ipod just to remotely control Homeseer, which it does perfectly well; it also controls Media Center in a browser window. It even works with updated software versions!

So it won't be thrown away and replaced, but I will be very much more chary of alpha software in the appstore.

pcstockton

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 12:21:37 pm »

I don't know how sweet the app is. On the face of it it looks to be no better than Gizmo.

I have never used Gizmo but I have seen screenshots etc...  I feel safe in assuming that JRemote absolutely crushes it.  It is basically a clone of the Remote app (with many more features), if you have used that before.  Trust me, it is sweet.

What exact model iPod is it?  I thought only the oldest (much older than 18 months) couldn't run the newest OS.

-Patrick

pcstockton

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 12:25:04 pm »

just rather annoyed at being ripped off.

The idea of a rather expensive, perfectly adequately working device being thrown away is rather repugnant to me, especially as the only reason for throwing it away would be to run a superfluous, questionable piece of software.

Firstly, it ran previous to this latest update?

Also, who is suggesting you "throw it away"?  No need to be so dramatic.  There is a ton of middle ground between where you are now and throwing it in the trash.

You can re-purpose it for other activities, give it to a kid, sell it etc.  My old 3G iPhone has taken up residence at my office running PlugPlayer so I can stream everything from MC at home.

-p

Yosemithe

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 02:53:55 pm »

Found a solution for those who own an older iPod Touch (like my 2G...): http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68689.0

For $1.99... much much much cheaper than buying an new iPod!!!  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up