INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto Import and Scraping vs Udates from external XML sidecar  (Read 1529 times)

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Auto Import and Scraping vs Udates from external XML sidecar
« on: January 20, 2012, 05:22:31 pm »

I have a problem I think. As you can not control what auto import folders are targeted by what import setting (analyze audio, Get Movie and TV Show meta data, Get cover art and so on), I have a question of how my setup will work. I'm importing this folders:

Audio
TV Shows
Movies

With the current options, I have to enable everything. The problem is that I'm using Sickbeard for my TV Shows, which reliably and beautifully downloads screen grabs and all the meta data I want. This is saved to a XML file and MC updates the Library to match this data. My question is this:

What will win? The reason I'm asking and not testing it extensively is that I'm afraid that timing might have some impact on my import process, and that I can not conclude anything for certain. When importing, is the XML files read before the Auto scraping of TV Shows or Movies? Or is the Meta Data Scraping done first? What if the scraping is done first? Will the data in MC be overwritten by the external changes if that is selected? Or will the Meta scraping rule? Will the thumbnails be created, or will the thumbnails from sickbeard be preserved in it's own sub folders in each season folder?
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Auto Import and Scraping vs Udates from external XML sidecar
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 05:30:03 pm »

I was going to suggest that perhaps the auto-import Tasks might be moved into the Folders configuration, so that they could independently be set on a per-folder basis.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 05:56:20 pm »

I'm pretty sure the XML always wins.  Or, at least, for the JRSidecar.xml files (are the Sickbeard ones those?) it should.

All the other stuff (Carnac and Auto-Medatadata Lookup) only run on empty fields, or in the case of Carnac, fields it filled itself.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 05:55:29 am »

Yes, I'm talking about Sidecar files here. I've checked 8 newly imported files now, and it seems like the XML files is honored. Image path, descriptions, dates etc. But I would still like to know some facts about how sidecar files are treated versus the import settings stuff. I'm about to try to modify Couchpotato a bit so I get the ratings and stuff I want on my videos trough sidecar files, while I hope to still get some of the other data from the automatic scraping. IF the XML is honored, and the empty fields is still filled with the automatic system, this might work just like I hope.

I was going to suggest that perhaps the auto-import Tasks might be moved into the Folders configuration, so that they could independently be set on a per-folder basis.
I would really support that! It would be more logical in my opinion. Now we just have to check everything if we import different media, and it makes no sense to have this options for some of the import folders.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

bil1010105

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 06:05:07 am »

Last night, auto-import "broke" a large number of my video files by overwriting what I'd already done with what it "thinks" should be the correct values for thumbnail, cover art, description, keywords... so I had to go back to a backup. No biggie, just annoying.

I've turned the feature off until it's more stable / useful / controllable. A one-size-fits-all isn't appropriate here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up