INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you organize your Video Views (especially to be friendly with Carnac)  (Read 1062 times)

Osho

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Hi,

The capability in MC17 to automatically retrieve meta-data for Movies/TV shows is just awesome. In most cases, it works really well too. So, kudos for this nice feature!

I would like to have a view that "just works" for different types of videos (TV shows, movies, personal videos from camera/camcorder, youtube downloaded videos). What kind of Views do you use for browsing video files?

The part of the challenge to create the right type of Video View is this: different fields are filled automatically for different type of video files. For example, TV shows have Media Sub Type, Series, Season, Episode filled. But, Series/Season/Episode does not make any sense for Movies. Different fields get automatically filled for Movies. So, a simple Video View scheme (such as the one for audio - Genre/Album Artist(auto)/Album) does not really work well for Video.

Also, note that one may want different *levels* of hierarchy for different types of video. I would imagine something like this:

• TV : Series, Season, Episode
  • TV recorded from PVR: sorted Date/Time (with newest first in a flat list)
  • Movies: Genre, Name
  • Personal Videos: Year, Month, Day
  • Youtube downloaded media: most of these are music videos in my case. I don't even know how to organize this (by interests?)

Sort of driving myself crazy with Expressions, is there any other way to handle this?

Thanks,
Osho

glynor

• MC Beta Team

I have separate views under Video in the tree, filtered to only show files that make sense for that particular view.

So, my "TV Shows" view is filtered to [Media Sub Type]=TV Show, and includes Series and Season panes/categories.
My Movies view is filtered to [Media Sub Type]=Movies, and includes a grouped Name category (so it shows A-B, C-D, etc).
My New Video view shows all Media Sub Types, but lists the newest stuff on top (and has no "categories" in its Theater View version).
My Home Video view shows Media Sub Type=Home Video, and has panes/categories like a photos view with Year/Month/Day.
My Music Video view shows Media Sub Type=Music Video, and has Artist panes/categories.
etc...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Osho

• MC Beta Team

I have separate views under Video in the tree, filtered to only show files that make sense for that particular view.

So, my "TV Shows" view is filtered to [Media Sub Type]=TV Show, and includes Series and Season panes/categories.
My Movies view is filtered to [Media Sub Type]=Movies, and includes a grouped Name category (so it shows A-B, C-D, etc).
My New Video view shows all Media Sub Types, but lists the newest stuff on top (and has no "categories" in its Theater View version).
My Home Video view shows Media Sub Type=Home Video, and has panes/categories like a photos view with Year/Month/Day.
My Music Video view shows Media Sub Type=Music Video, and has Artist panes/categories.
etc...

Thanks - I was hoping not to have to do this but I may not have a choice.

Do you have different views in Theater View as well? Do you keep TV DVR recordings differently than other TV shows?

Thanks,
Osho

glynor

• MC Beta Team

Do you keep TV DVR recordings differently than other TV shows?

No.  I don't even know why you'd want to.
A recording is a TV Show, a Movie, or something else.  Carnac tags them appropriately the vast majority of the time for me.  If your goal is to have a "transient" section (where the recordings can be deleted and you don't care) and a "long term" section (where you never want them removed because they are part of your "library"), I think making a [Permanent Item] type of tag would make more sense.

Do you have different views in Theater View as well?

Kind-of....

My views are basically the same, except for the Panes/Categories used.  Basically, my Theater Views are simplified versions of my Standard Views.

So, for example, my Movies view in Standard View has the following panes:
Name (Grouped by 2, so that I get a pane with 0-9, A-B, C-D, etc)
Genre
Director
Actors
Keywords

This is nice because I can use all of those panes to filter in Standard View when I want to, but most of the time I just use the Name pane (if anything).

On the other hand, my regular Movies view in Theater View only has one "Category" added, Name (Grouped by 2 again, with "All" turned on).  That's because I don't want to have to drill down through Director, Actors, and Keywords every time I want to play a movie with my remote.

If it would help, I can make a "blank template" copy of my Library and post it for you to check it out.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

I think the distinction between television and video is gradually going away.  Who cares if the video was delivered on a schedule over the air, or by on demand streaming, or download?  It's still "Lost".
Pages: [1]   Go Up