INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting WAV output from MC 17 into Squeezebox Touch  (Read 2019 times)

apspr

• Recent member
Getting WAV output from MC 17 into Squeezebox Touch
« on: January 23, 2012, 12:48:54 am »

Hi everyone,

If this has been covered somewhere, maybe someone could direct me to it.

I am simply trying to get WAV files (most all of them ripped at 16bit/44000 from CDs) from MC17 (via the Whitebear controller and ethernet cable) into my Squeezebox Touch (and from there into a standalone DAC), but no matter what output settings I try in MC17, the Squeezebox describes the files as MP3s at 320BPS.  And they don't sound so great, so I can believe they really are MP3s reduced in resolution.  On the other hand, If I use the Sqbox's media database directly, bypassing MC17, the files are listed properly as 16/44000.  I do almost nothing with MP3s-- try to use WAVs or FLACs wherever possible.   

Am I missing something?  I love the MC interface, but surely it should be possible to get the files out in their best-sounding native form....

Any help much appreciated--

Tim N. 

)p(

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Getting WAV output from MC 17 into Squeezebox Touch
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 06:38:38 am »

Did you check your conversion settings under tools > options > media network > configure dlna > audio > conversion?

apspr

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 11:47:17 am »

THANK YOU!   That got rid of the unwanted conversion to MP3, and I'm not sure I would have found those options on my own. ?

Now, oddly, even though I have the "Never Convert" option on, the files are showing up as FLACs in the Sq. Touch, even though they are clearly WAVs on my hard drive.  Maybe someone can explain that one to me?...

pcstockton

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 12:28:18 pm »

THANK YOU!   That got rid of the unwanted conversion to MP3, and I'm not sure I would have found those options on my own. ?

Now, oddly, even though I have the "Never Convert" option on, the files are showing up as FLACs in the Sq. Touch, even though they are clearly WAVs on my hard drive.  Maybe someone can explain that one to me?...

Either LMS or Whitebear must be transcoding WAVs to FLACs.  Most likely for metadata reasons.

-Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 01:24:13 pm »

Either LMS or Whitebear must be transcoding WAVs to FLACs.

Whitebear is transcoding. (It is not due to meta data). The reason is that SBS/LMS cannot play wav or pcm streams. (This is rather peculiar because Squeeze players use pcm internally, but for whatever reason they cannot read it over the wire). On the other hand Squeeze players can read flac over the wire. So Whitebear reads your wav (or pcm) stream, converts it to flac, and proxies it on to SBS and/or the Squeeze players.

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up