INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changelists?  (Read 1290 times)

lowjoel

• World Citizen
Changelists?
« on: January 23, 2012, 07:38:07 pm »

Is there any way to determine what was changed in the database over time? I just found out this morning that Update Tags when File Info changes was disabled on my computer for the last (few?) days and changes were not being made to my files (which I do like, in the unfortunate case of library corruption etc.) and I'd need a list to manually update file tags.

The date modified library field stores the file modification time, so that's a no go. I can't just select every audio file and update file tags from library, either (my backup app will go crazy.) Any suggestions?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Changelists?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 07:42:07 pm »

MC should only update when the database entry is newer than the file's modified time, so you should be safe doing a manual update. I believe MC will auto-update in the background in any case now that you've enabled UTwFIC.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

lowjoel

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 07:45:10 pm »

A manual update does change the file modified time, even if file data does not change.. which would cause the backup app to re-back up the file.

Any confirmation that MC will update tags in the background?

MrC

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 08:13:22 pm »

Looks like I'm wrong on both accounts.

1) Update tags (from library) always modifies the file's Modified date.  This seems wasteful when nothing has changed.

2) Re-enabling UTwFIC does not automatically cause MC to push dirty (eg. updated) database properties out to file tags.  This surprises me.  I thought it worked by having a last modified time on the database record, and then the background worker would push out dirty tags to files.  I can see that someone might want to ignore updates for previous changes unless they manually update.  But I can also see that most might want to have previous property modifications to automatically update tags once UTwFIC is enabled.

Matt - can you verify/comment?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 08:18:26 pm »

1) Update tags (from library) always modifies the file's Modified date.  This seems wasteful when nothing has changed.

This forces a tag write, which by definition, modifies the file.

If you leave automatic tag writing enabled (the default, and our recommendation), you would never really need to run this tool manually.

2) Re-enabling UTwFIC does not automatically cause MC to push dirty (eg. updated) database properties out to file tags.  This surprises me.  I thought it worked by having a last modified time on the database record, and then the background worker would push out dirty tags to files.  I can see that someone might want to ignore updates for previous changes unless they manually update.  But I can also see that most might want to have previous property modifications to automatically update tags once UTwFIC is enabled.

If you disable tag writing, we don't save that the file should have been tagged but wasn't.  The date modified is used to detect external changes.  In other words, it's the file system's modified date not the date modified in the library.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lowjoel

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 08:20:35 pm »

Any way to coax the value out, for a situation like my audio files?

I probably turned it off while working with images, but further research shows that MC won't touch image tags unless the image is re-saved.

MrC

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 08:35:28 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up