INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VideoClock question  (Read 3271 times)

shawkie

VideoClock question
« on: January 24, 2012, 05:36:52 am »

Is VideoClock really necessary when the video and audio are both being generated by the same device (in my case this is the integrated GPU on an AMD Zacate) and being fed out of a single HDMI port? Would the designers/engineers really have used two completely different clocks for components which are so tightly integrated and where there is clearly a compelling reason for using a common clock? Is there a simple reliable way to test it? I am aware that my system also has a Realtek audio chip but I get the impression that this is completely independent and is only responsible for driving the SPDIF and analog outputs.

If I use JRiver Media Center with madVR but don't use VideoClock (I'm keen to use bitstreaming instead) then what is the behaviour if the clocks are not in perfect agreement? Presumably I would get dropped/duplicated frames? Would these be reported by madVR?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: VideoClock question
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 01:11:17 pm »

The clock of the audio, video frame rate, and display refresh rate all work together for timing.  So it's not really a matter of the audio and video sharing a hardware clock.

Presumably I would get dropped/duplicated frames? Would these be reported by madVR?

Exactly.  And madVR has nice reporting for this.

You can read more about VideoClock here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/VideoClock
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

shawkie

Re: VideoClock question
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 01:25:07 am »

The clock of the audio, video frame rate, and display refresh rate all work together for timing.  So it's not really a matter of the audio and video sharing a hardware clock.

But IF the audio and video DO share a hardware clock and if the display refresh rate is correctly set to match the video frame rate then VideoClock should not be necessary? I suppose the crucial point is that madVR can only set the display refresh rate correctly if you already have a suitable refresh rate set up in your video card driver.
Pages: [1]   Go Up