INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WMA bug: data lost when ripping tracks that run together  (Read 600 times)

dick

• Recent member
WMA bug: data lost when ripping tracks that run together
« on: May 13, 2002, 02:18:50 pm »

This bug applies to every version of MJ I've tried, including 7.2 through 8.0.272:

When ripping a CD in WMA, MJ loses about a second of data at the end of a track that runs into the next track. For example, at the beginning of the classic Little Feat live album, "Waiting for Columbus", the announcer says "F-E-A-T! Please welcome Little Feat". Actually, the words "F-E-A-T! Please welcome" are at the end of the first track ("Join the Band") and the words "Little Feat" are at the beginning of the second track ("Fat Man in the Bathtub"). If the CD is ripped in WMA, the words "Please welcome" are lost and there's a nasty gap between the two tracks (you hear "F-E-A-T ittle Feat".) Oddly, the CD track time for Join the Band is 1:24, while the ripped version lists as 1:25 (seems backwards, eh?)

However, if the CD is ripped in MP3, data is not lost. By setting the inter-track cross-fade to smooth and a gap of .1 sec, I can *almost* eliminate the inter-track gap in the MP3 version. There's just a slight click between the words "welcome" and "Little Feat". Not as smooth as direct from the CD, though -- there ought to be a default setting that makes it so (sorry, I guess that's a different bug.)

I've also detected this on the Beatles Anthology Volume 1. On this album, there are some tracks with a Beatle telling a story about the next track. The tracks are intendes to run together, but MJ loses about a second of the speech track when ripping in WMA. I haven't noticed this so much on classical CDs, where you would expect a lot of run-together tracks, but it could be because I wasn't paying attention.

Since I just finished ripping 385 CDs in 160-kbps WMA, it would be nice if you could fix this bug. I'd like to go back and re-rip the bad tracks.

System Info:

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.272

CPU: Intel Pentium III 598 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 392 MB, Free - 106 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 2 (Build 2195)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4704.1100
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.4718
wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Pages: [1]   Go Up