INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to work with movie series (boxset)?  (Read 1753 times)

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
How to work with movie series (boxset)?
« on: January 26, 2012, 04:23:26 pm »

I'm starting to get a lot of movie series, and it's quite frustrating scrolling past 8 items and so when you know you're not interested in watching it that day. What is the options here?

What I'm hoping for is some kind of automatic help here. I have a suggestion. TMDB has info regarding previous movies and upcoming movies in a movie series. This could be added when you first do the lookup and scraping.
  • Create 3 new library fields (string)
  • Two contains the previous and coming movie title
  • One field for Boxset name/title

The scraper would download the previous and upcoming title of the series. If it's the first, it has no tiles in the previous, and if it's the last, it will have nothing in the upcoming field (it's not good names but I can not for the life of me remember the correct words). Other titles will have both. This can be used to automate things later, and it will provide a good indication of the order of the movies, if you add the fields to the Info panel. It's also possible that TMDB have the Boxset title in it's API. That would simplify much, and automate all of it.

I would suggest that you add an option to every view. Called "Add Boxset category to movies" or something similar. This would show a new category, mixed with all the single movies, that contains all of the movies in the box set. If it contains only one title, the boxset category will be dropped. As with seasons.

Is something like this possible at all today?
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
Re: How to work with movie series (boxset)?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 11:38:01 pm »

The work around I use for Movie Series is in this thread.  It's not ideal, and my requested change for improvement got obscured by a lot of dialog, but I think the first post I wrote sums of the work around fairly well.  Maybe you'll find it helpful, maybe not.  :P

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68981.0
pretend this is something funny

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 01:57:20 am »

MrHaugen,

I've replied in Justin's thread. I think you may be after something a lot more automated, and I can't help with that.

All my box set movies get the same [album] name. I then set up a "Box Sets" view in theater view that uses only the [album] field, sorted by the default "Ascending". I then used "Set rules for file display" to exclude anything with an empty [album] field, and to sort by "Date (z-a)"

All box sets are in this view, and when entering to view the movie list for a set, the movies are listed in release order. Nothing especially complex or automatic, but it works for me, with the only extra job being entering the set name into the album field.

-marko

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 03:25:23 am »

Yes. I followed that topic for a while.

I've tried and thought of the same things as you guys have. I hoped that the solution was to give all movies a Box set name. But as Justin mentions, they will be presented as a list with one movie. That is NOT something I can live with for a long time. Other than that, I could have made some import rules that sets the Box set name as the Name, and this would be almost automatic, except for the boxsets.
I also thought about having a separate view with box sets like marko mentioned, but that will be used less frequently. I don't want to skip them when I browse though my other views either...

I think that this can be done pretty much by the users them self with the above solutions. But we need a bit help from JRiver to make the views work correctly. We need a way to set movies (or any media) to show single items if there is just one in the list. This should not be that hard I think. This is already done for Seasons after all. Could this be the case for all views, so we can have such an option globally, or are there views that this would be less desirable?

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 04:49:51 am »

Marko had a good suggestion for a solution here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68981.msg468387#msg468387
I'll test it out later. Sorry for the duplicate subjects :)

AVTechMan

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 11:34:01 am »

I'm interested in knowing this myself....i know that MB does this just fine as long as the certain folder structure has been met, so I was interested to see how this would work in MC. I have several movie series myself (Rocky, Rambo, etc..) and would like to get all of them grouped into one where it lists say "The Rocky Collection" then after clicking on it shows those list of movies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up