INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVB-S feedback  (Read 1512 times)

audioriver

• Citizen of the Universe
DVB-S feedback
« on: January 28, 2012, 04:55:43 am »

Thanks a lot for DVB-S support, most appreciated. Channel scan completes almost immediately without finding any channels. Using the Hauppauge HVR-4000 multituner. Tv log here, I couldn't include it in the message.
Windows 10 Pro x64

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: DVB-S feedback
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 02:32:19 pm »

Thanks for the feedback.

It appears that we failed to read satellite transponder file.  I will try figuring it out on Monday.

Can you check that this file exists and can be opened:

C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 17\TV\DVBS\13.0°E Hot Bird 6,8,9.xml
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

audioriver

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 02:38:54 pm »

Yes, it's there and opens fine.
Windows 10 Pro x64

Trond-Eirik

• Junior Woodchuck
DVB-S feedback 2
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 04:29:28 pm »

Hi

I have tested DVB's as well.
Hardware: Digital Devices Cinet C/T card
Digital Devices supplies a DVB-S driver mode for their DVB-C/T cards. I have been using it for Media Center and it is confirmed to work nicely.
What is done in Media Center is to create a transcoder file and use that. I have created that transcoder file with the values that should be used for Canal Digital in Norway (my provider).
The file is attached.

I'm experiences two syndromes.
1) If I try to scan for channels the scan is initiated and then is left with status "Starting channel scan...", and then nothing happends.
2) If I go into TV-options and selects "Configure" for the device I get a message box saying "Failed to initialize TV tuner devide".

To ensure that the device is not in use by any other I have also disabled the windows media center services so that no background servie or anything else in Win Media Center is in use.
Any suggestion?

You may have a look at the following files:
Transponder file (contains transponder codes for Canal Digital in norway)
Log file
User manual for using Cinet CT as DVB-S tuner in media center.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=db1e11b2cf05fb28&resid=DB1E11B2CF05FB28!124&parid=root

Some more info:
- If I first access TV-options and then press "Configure" (after a reboot), I get access to the configuration dialog
- If I first try to do a scan and afterwards access TV-options and press "Configure" I get the "Failed to initialize TV tuner devide".
  Seems as if the scan prosess somehow locks up the tuner card.

Another interesting observation is that if I disable the CAM so that it is not used, the Scan success and report that it is Done.
In this case I get the same behaviour that audioriver is reporting.

Seems to some issue rearding reading of informasjon from the CAM and some issue reading the tranponder file.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 06:58:08 pm »

One thing I can think of about Configure window is that I forgot to modify it to include DVB-S for network type.  So if you run Configure, you will put the device in either ATSC or DVB-T.  That could be the cause of some of the problems.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 07:17:59 pm »

The Norway parameters you put in the xml file look more like a DVB-C parameters than DVB-S ones.  Are you supposed to scan the channels as if they were DVB-C channels because your device is DVB-C?  If so, maybe you will have a better luck when I finish DVB-C support.

Also, did you put the parameters in the file correctly?  The values for Polarisation (QAM256, QAM64 etc.) are more like Modulation instead.  Polarisation should have four values - "V" for Linear Vertical, "H" for Linear Horizontal, "R" for Circular Right, and "L" for Circular Left.  Also, MC will recognize "256QAM" instead of "QAM256".  Maybe you can try switching those.

Trond-Eirik

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 02:50:18 am »

Hi

The device is a DVB T/C combo. My tv-network is DVB-C.
Windows Media Center (WMC) does not support DVB C. Digital Devices (the manufacture) has supplies a native DVB-S driver that can be used with WMC, so it should work but I do not know how the WMC transponder file look.
I will try with other values in the file as you suggested. I also have this input from Digital Devices that I think will help me (polarization is explained in the bottom of the file):
http://support.digital-devices.de/knowledgebase.php?article=64
If anyone know where to find the transponder files for WMC that would problably help me.

Is support for DVB-C planned anytime soon?
I have been waiting for DVB-C support since 2009 so I would rather try to make DVB-S work than wait another couple of years or so on DVB-C support;-)

A couple of off-topic notes:
- Currently lack of TV-support is for me the one single thing that prevents me from permanently switching from WMC to JMC.
- My tv-network provider supplies to types of channels. TV-channels and Radio-channels.
To be able to get Radio-channels in a "Radio UI" instead of along with TV-programs would have been really nice. I would expect that all the hard stuff goes into what you are doing now (or have been doing), and that this is just about adding a Radio UI on top of it.
I cannot remember to have seen a Radio UI in JMC, so maybe that is more of an input as one of many sources to consider when/if you add Radio support to JMC :-)
- In general I'm really impressed with the current versjon if JMC.

I'll try to modify the file and do some more testing later today or tomorrow.

Regards, TEK
Pages: [1]   Go Up