INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Add Dscaler5 mpeg2 decoder to list of custom video decoders  (Read 3612 times)

Mark_A_W

• Recent member

Hi

I'm in the process of commissioning MC as my primary Video player for my HT (it has been my primary Audio player for years), but I'm having trouble playing 60i MPEG2 TS files, which are really film based 24p, smoothly.     IVTC is not being performed by LAV filters.

The only decoder that I know of which will perform IVTC on these types of video is Kzueh's modified version of the Dscaler5 Mpeg2 decoder.     I've been using it for years and it is rock solid.

However the Dscaler decoder is not on the list of Video Decoders in the Custom playback section.     I would like to be able to add this decoder to Red October HQ (with the codec restricted to Mpeg2).

Thanks

Mark

Mark_A_W

• Recent member

Madshi recommends this filter in the first post of the madVR thread here:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=62727.0

"7. Recommendations

(1) Recommended MPEG2 decoder for movies is the "DScaler IVTC Mod", which is able to automatically convert 1080i60 movies to 1080p24 in perfect quality."

SamuelMaki

• World Citizen

I would think that the best solution would be something like potplayer and mpc-hc uses with their external filters selection. They use a list of all registered directshow decoders and user can select which they like to use or block... I think this would relatively easy to implement to MC and it should cover all custom video mode needs...
AMD Phemon II N930 Quad 2.0ghz, AMD Radeon HD 5650, 4GB RAM, Windows 8 RP x64

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe

Madshi recommends this filter in the first post of the madVR thread here:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=62727.0

I would wager this is now out-dated as madVR itself features now a fully functional IVTC. :)
All other newer MPEG-2 decoders can most likely decode with much better performance, and just leave the IVTC to madVR.

I would think that the best solution would be something like potplayer and mpc-hc uses with their external filters selection. They use a list of all registered directshow decoders and user can select which they like to use or block... I think this would relatively easy to implement to MC and it should cover all custom video mode needs...
MC17s current system is far more powerful then MPC-HCs (can select filter based on file format / codecs). The only limitation is that MC17 only allows you to use filters they put on their approved list, which isn't all that bad idea with the shear amount of terrible filters out there...
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

Probably white listing should be applied only to the automatic filter selections (i.e. to the cases when Red October ST or HQ may use external filters in addition to the built-in filters).

When the user wants to explicitly select an unlisted filter it should be possible. It is up to the user to revert the filter selection if it does not work. The current system limits experimentation and prevents from easily creating special setups which may still be needed. It is possible to request a filter to be white listed, but it is not possible to test the filter in MC before it is approved. This is a kind of chicken and egg dilemma.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Mark_A_W

• Recent member

I would wager this is now out-dated as madVR itself features now a fully functional IVTC. :)
All other newer MPEG-2 decoders can most likely decode with much better performance, and just leave the IVTC to madVR.
MC17s current system is far more powerful then MPC-HCs (can select filter based on file format / codecs). The only limitation is that MC17 only allows you to use filters they put on their approved list, which isn't all that bad idea with the shear amount of terrible filters out there...

This doesn't seem to be working, at least with the version of madVR in use by MC.     

madVR reports 23.976fps (says source filter) for avc/vc-1 etc, but 29.970fps (says source filter) for mpeg2 TS files.    I realise that's the source filter reporting, and that madVR would then perform IVTC afterwards, but something is not working.      The delayed and dropped frames are going crazy, and playback is a mess.     For avc/vc-1 it's perfect, no dropped/delayed frames, as is a 23.976fps mpeg2 file in a mkv container - it's just 1080i 60hz which are film based that is not working.

Deinterlacing is reported as On (says upstream) in madVR in this case.

If I play the same ts file in an alternate player with Dscaler IVTC, it's perfect.    Source filter is reporting 23.976 (eh?), deinterlacing is reported as Off (says upstream) and everything works as it should.

I can't tell what version of madVR is used by MC, but I'm using V0.80 in the other player.

It may be a madVT problem, but allowing me to use Dscaler5 decoder filter would fix it now.     I'm not asking for open slather, just one more allowed filter.

Mark

audioriver

Dscaler 5 still remains the best MPEG-2 decoder out there, IVTC or not. The picture quality it delivers is superb, and it's a pity a Vista/7 x86/64 updated version was never released.
Windows 10 Pro x64

Mark_A_W

• Recent member

My issue could be related to this:
"(4) For now, madVR does not even try to detect whether a video is natively interlaced or telecined. As a result, madVR defaults to DXVA deinterlacing, because DXVA deinterlacing can handle all types of content reasonably well. You have to manually switch to madVR's new IVTC algorithm by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Shift+T twice ("T" stands for content [T]ype). Default is "video mode", which is deinterlaced by using DXVA. By switching the content type to "film mode", you activate madVR's new IVTC algorithm. In the future, I'm planning to add automatic detection for the content type, so you don't have to switch manually."

Quoting madshi, from here:  http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1545754&postcount=11526

I will try "Ctrl+Alt+Shift+T twice" tonight.

Thanks Nev

Mark

Hendrik

• Administrator

Dscaler 5 still remains the best MPEG-2 decoder out there, IVTC or not. The picture quality it delivers is superb, and it's a pity a Vista/7 x86/64 updated version was never released.

The only advantage it has is IVTC, any other "picture quality" differences are just make-believe.
The quality of a well-defined format like MPEG2 doesn't depend on the decoder used (assuming there are no bugs)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Mark_A_W

• Recent member

Ok, Ctrl+Alt+Shift+T twice works, when madVR is in film mode, the playback is much better.  Thanks for putting me on to that Nev.

But it's still not as smooth as Dscaler IVTC + madVR + Reclock.   There is still a very small repeating jump with madVR IVTC.   Big improvement though.

However cadence detection is a bit hit and miss, sometimes it detects the cadence as 5:3:2, instead of 3:2.   And at this stage you have to manually select film mode every time (but that will improve).

I would still like Dscaler5 to be on the allowed filters list please.

madshi

• Galactic Citizen

But it's still not as smooth as Dscaler IVTC + madVR + Reclock.   There is still a very small repeating jump with madVR IVTC.

[...]

However cadence detection is a bit hit and miss, sometimes it detects the cadence as 5:3:2, instead of 3:2.

Things like that will improve in madVR only if you provide me with samples that allow me to reproduce the problem on my PC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up