INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo and playback problems  (Read 2103 times)

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Gizmo and playback problems
« on: January 30, 2012, 02:19:44 pm »

Tested gizmo today. Everything played well from my server over the WIFI network, to my phone. When I tried to change the playback from the server to my HTPC client, I got the "On the bus" message all the time. What does this mean? The HTPC client are on a 100 Mb interface and the server is on a 1Gb interface. But both connects to the phone via WIFI, and this should not matter.
The only difference between the Server and the HTPC client is that the Server holds all the files, and the HTPC is a library client in sync. Does this make a difference? Both accesses the files directly on the network with the same UNC paths when needed.

I also noticed that the player was always crashing when hitting the back button while playing a movie. Both when playing and stopped.

I'm on build 68, so that MIGHT explain the crash on video playback. But probably not the other thing.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Gizmo and playback problems
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 02:22:49 pm »

Gizmo or Webgizmo?

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 02:23:57 pm »

The latest gizmo and 17.0.75 have some fixes for both they may or may not fix your problem but mine works as expected.
Sean

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 02:29:55 pm »

It's Gizmo from Android app market. I was going to wait with the upgrades until a specific feature was available, but what the heck. It will probably not take the much time if they have remembered to add the lates build to the update channel ;) I'll be back.

*EDIT*
No. The update channel are a few updates behind. Have to do it the hard way then.

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 02:56:49 pm »

All machines updated to build 78. Latest Gizmo from Android market.

I have one Library server on my server, and two clients. One HTPC and one workstation. Both Library server clients. Playback from server works. Playback from clients does not work. I only get the message "On the bus". I've tried to set the conversion to Low bandwidth on one of the clients. No change. Can't play videos either.

I get a crash of the Gizmo app after resuming from sleep sometimes as well as a crash when going back when playing a Video. Either paused or stopped. With crash I mean the "Unfortunately,Gizmo has stopped." message.

This is on a brand new Galaxy Nexus unlocked GSM model.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 03:04:58 pm »

All machines updated to build 78. Latest Gizmo from Android market.

I have one Library server on my server, and two clients. One HTPC and one workstation. Both Library server clients. Playback from server works. Playback from clients does not work. I only get the message "On the bus".
You would need to also run Library Server on the clients in order to do that.

MrHaugen

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 03:31:48 pm »

I thought I was doing that with the Media Network options. "Use Media Network to share this library and enable DLNA" and underlaying options. I get "ClientName (Library server)" for both clients when checking the opposite clients Playing Now. But they are still connected to the Main Servers library server.

I can even chance the library on one of the client to the other client, which again are connected to the main server. Playback works on regular clients.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 03:48:19 pm »

In order to do what you want you would need to setup your clients differently. Instead of having them connect to the server through the media network you need to just point them to the library on the server by adding it through the file/library/library manager. Obviously you would have to have proper shares setup. I would set up the library as read only for clients. You would also need to run MS on all machines each having it own port to foward (server *:52199 client1 *:52198 client2 *:52197).
There may or may not be another way to do this but I know it will works this way and it is what I would do. Changing servers in Gizmo would probably become annoying but it would work.
Sean

MrHaugen

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 04:48:54 pm »

That would kind of destroy the whole purpose of having a server. I need the sync and update of play counters and similar. Without it I would constantly have problems remembering what I have seen, and much of my smartlists for audio would be no good.

This is the exact reason why I was concerned about the Server/Client setup a long time ago. Who would want to have several separate libraries? Not many I think. Are my setup really so strange? One server to serve all my needs, and a client to play back those needs. And I want to use a remote control to play music on the client without having to turn the TV on. I can't imagine I'm the only one with those wishes. Now, the usage of Gizmo is just cut in half. Even more because of the fact that I sync my phone and play things locally. So, it's rather useless for me. Only time I think I would be using it is in the summer when I sit in my back yard and want to listen to some new music while I take a beer or two.

Again I'm raising the question of why the DLNA/Web features is to closely tied to the Library Server functionality. That you can't mix this things in cases where you have more than one computer, is rather bad. I can't see any logical reasons why you could not use a Library Client with activated Library server functionality as a DLNA renderer, controller and serveris, as well as web server etc.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 05:14:12 pm »

Not sure if you are talking to me or Jim but in my proposal it would be just one library and statistics should still be kept.
Instead of a normal setup where the library is in Users\***\AppData\.... the clients are set to use the library on the server.
No matter where the file is played it is still coming from the server.
I may be mistaken on this since I have not done it this way since MC 15.
Sean

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 05:20:11 pm »

One server to serve all my needs, and a client to play back those needs. And I want to use a remote control to play music on the client without having to turn the TV on.
That wasn't clear to me from your first post.

So, as I understand it, you want Gizmo to connect to your server and play content from it, but play it to what you normally think of as clients.

That's how Gizmo works.  You first select the server.  Then you select the destination you're going to play to.

You need to have Media Network turned on at all 3 PC's.  On the Android, make sure wireless LAN is set to on.

It would help a lot if you would save the complaints for another thread or just leave them out altogether.  It makes it hard to follow what you say about your setup.  Take the time to accurately describe the setup.

MrHaugen

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 02:12:57 am »

Ok. I see! I did not think of connecting to the Library server and send music to another Library server client (with DLNA activated) through Gizmo. If that works, it would solve everything.
Sorry about the slightly negative comments if it actually work. Which it probably will... I think this was impossible a long time ago, but much have change since. With all the DLNA changes the last two years I just assumed it would work, and I was a bit crushed when I believed my nice little plan got blown to pieces :)

When it comes to the application stopping all the time. Are there nobody else experience this? This could get rather bad over time. I'm using a rooted Galaxy Nexus with Android 4 (.03?).

MrHaugen

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 04:27:06 pm »

It worked! Media Playback from the server/library server and output on a Library server client HTPC. All controlled from Gizmo. This was a big relief . I'm gonna use this a lot from now on. I also have to give to you that the interface have been much improved! Still somewhat behind other remote apps, but a lot better than it was. It certainly will not stop me from using it. And the DLNA possibilities seems to be endless... Well done!

I'll report back if I can figure out a pattern to this Gizmo hangs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up