INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stream FLAC files to PS3?  (Read 7211 times)

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Stream FLAC files to PS3?
« on: January 29, 2012, 10:26:33 pm »

I noticed that I can add Playstation 3 as a DLNA server.  If possible, I want to stream FLAC files to the PS3.  What settings should I use under the Audio menu? 

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Cheers
Re: Stream FLAC files to PS3?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 11:15:31 pm »

Unless there has been a firmware update to enable it FLAC is not supported on the PS3.
Or you asking about how to setup on the fly conversion.
Sean

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 06:10:59 am »

I've owned a Roku Soundbridge for a few years that I send MP3 files to from MC.  I was hoping to upgrade the sound quality by sending FLAC.  I thought maybe the PS3 could accept FLAC by sending an uncompressed stream or some other combination of settings.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 04:26:16 pm »

I've owned a Roku Soundbridge for a few years that I send MP3 files to from MC.  I was hoping to upgrade the sound quality by sending FLAC.  I thought maybe the PS3 could accept FLAC by sending an uncompressed stream or some other combination of settings.
You can just set MC to the PS3 preset, then always convert audio to uncompressed L16 - no header (that way you can turn on volume leveling if you want). If you have multichannel flac you may have to select stereo downmix depending on your PS3 setup. I'm not sure if the PS3 supports multichannel through DLNA.

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 09:00:30 pm »

Thanks, Bob.  I was able to get this working using the settings you provided.  I only have stereo files, so I can't say what happens with multichannel.

At first, I could navigate to folders, playlists, etc, but there were no titles found.  I then changed MC to convert to MP3 and that worked.  Next, I changed the setting back to Uncompressed L 16 and that was working too.  When I checked the statistics, it showed a WAV was created, so that was evidence to me that the lossless file was being played.

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 10:38:19 pm »

I think I may have discovered what I was doing wrong.  I selected the PC via the PS3's Video menu instead of the Music menu.  The titles appeared properly under Music.  Hopefully, that takes care of the problem.  :-[

Tonight, when I tried to play some FLAC files, I got the same "No Titles Found" message.  (But could navigate to folders, etc.)  I tried changing to Convert to MP3 and this didn't work either, still got "No Titles Found".  I kept bouncing around to different areas and all of sudden the titles showed up.  It was about 15 minutes after starting MC and the PS3. 

Could it be that it takes 15 minutes to get everything in order before the titles will show up?  That seems too long, but my experience last night was similar.  I did return the settings to FLAC (Uncompressed) and it did work once the titles were displayed.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 11:29:26 am »

I think I may have discovered what I was doing wrong.  I selected the PC via the PS3's Video menu instead of the Music menu.  The titles appeared properly under Music.  Hopefully, that takes care of the problem.  :-[

Tonight, when I tried to play some FLAC files, I got the same "No Titles Found" message.  (But could navigate to folders, etc.)  I tried changing to Convert to MP3 and this didn't work either, still got "No Titles Found".  I kept bouncing around to different areas and all of sudden the titles showed up.  It was about 15 minutes after starting MC and the PS3. 

Could it be that it takes 15 minutes to get everything in order before the titles will show up?  That seems too long, but my experience last night was similar.  I did return the settings to FLAC (Uncompressed) and it did work once the titles were displayed.

It's pretty confusing that the PS3 cross-bar works that way with DLNA servers unfortunately I've not seen anyone find a way to work around it at this time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up