INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems Syncing Remote Library  (Read 2089 times)

psam

• World Citizen
Problems Syncing Remote Library
« on: January 31, 2012, 06:12:59 am »

I have all my media files on the HTPC in my living room, but I connect to it from my PC to edit ID3tags, organise playlists etc.

Most of the times, when I edit the tags of say an Album, this change does not pass on the main library.

Instead ,after a while the tags I modified have returned to their previous state.

Sometimes manually selecting "Sync Library" works, but in most cases it doesn't.

I am getting a message like "Syncing with Main Library Complete", or something, but the tags remain are they were.
After two or three attempts, they eventually reflect my intended changes.

This is very time consuming because I need to perform the same tasks over and over again.

Any ideas why this is happening, and how to overcome it?

Thanx!

wig

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Problems Syncing Remote Library
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 06:23:38 am »

Instead ,after a while the tags I modified have returned to their previous state.

Where are your library files on your network, psam?

I had this problem after I moved the library files to my NAS. I moved them back to my HTPC's internal drive and the problem has mostly disappeared.

I'm purchasing a better performance NAS; I'll test it on that system when it arrive and see if it is in fact a performance issue.

psam

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 07:32:28 am »

Where are your library files on your network, psam?

I had this problem after I moved the library files to my NAS. I moved them back to my HTPC's internal drive and the problem has mostly disappeared.

I'm purchasing a better performance NAS; I'll test it on that system when it arrive and see if it is in fact a performance issue.

Some of them (videos) are on the internal drive while the majority (music & videos) are on a 2TB external hard disk, connected on the e-Sata port of my HTPC. Windows recognises it as an internal hard disk.
I am getting the same problem on both hard disks.

The actual throughput on both hard disks is around 95 Mbytes/sec, so I don't think it is a performance issue.

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 07:38:52 am »

Remember that you have to have Authentication activated for changes to be synced back to the server.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 08:19:33 am »

Some of them (videos) are on the internal drive while the majority (music & videos) are on a 2TB external hard disk

When I said library files, I meant the Media Center library database (as opposed to media files).

Another question: do you use stacks?

psam

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 10:04:58 am »

Remember that you have to have Authentication activated for changes to be synced back to the server.
What do you mean exactly? Have authentication activated on which software?
In order for the network connection to provide file sharing between two PCs running Windows 7, I need to have authentication (users/passwords) on both PCs, and I have done that already.

As I stated earlier, if i try it two or three times it works, so it is not a simple permission issue...Sometimes it works right from the first attempt...

Unless you mean another type of authentication?

psam

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 10:07:55 am »

When I said library files, I meant the Media Center library database (as opposed to media files).

Another question: do you use stacks?
The library database is located on the HTPC, the one running the server. If I use a library file located on the client PC, I need to have the client running when I am listening to my music in the living room.

Regarding Stacks, I don't even know what they are. I am planning to look into the stacks functionality sometime in the future.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 01:31:09 pm »

Unless you mean another type of authentication?

On the copy of MC that is acting as the server:
Options -> Media Network -> Authentication

Then, on the client machines, make sure Options -> Media Network -> Client Options -> Automatically Sync changes is enabled.  The next time you connect from your client copies, they'll ask for the username and password you entered there on the server (there is a "remember this" checkbox though so no big deal).

The changes sync periodically as MC is running (not instantaneously), or when you close the client copy of MC down.  If you need it to happen immediately, you can manually initiate it from a client copy of MC by going to File -> Library -> Sync changes with Library server (or just close out of MC).

Please note:  While you can make tagging changes from a "client copy" of MC, there are some limitations on what changes you can make.  For example, you cannot change Library Views in any way from a client copy of MC.  It will let you do it, but the changes don't "stick" (they'll revert next time you connect to the server).  Likewise, you can modify Playlists (and add new ones), but you cannot delete them.  You can't rip CDs on a client either (though they've said this is something they plan to implement when possible).

Most of the restricted things are related to Library Views and importing new files.

PS.  Why it works when you do it 2 or 3 times?  It probably doesn't actually have anything to do with repeating the steps.  It probably has more to do with timing.  My guess is that it isn't actually "working" by syncing the database.  Instead, when you tag the files, it is applying those tags to the actual files on disk (via the network share, likely), and then eventually Auto-Import on the server copy of MC sees these tag changes and updates the Library to reflect those changes.

Either that, or you do have the above options enabled and you weren't aware that the changes don't sync instantaneously.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

amdishigh

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 08:06:32 pm »

I've faced similar problems too. When making tag changes in remote client side for numerious flac files (e.g. Tag Level change only, like Composer, NOT view / cover art which is not supported to be updated remotely by now), NOT all changes got updated in server side. In my experience, >90% of files is updated successfully, and the other 10% failed. Of those failed updates, all tag updates of the SAME file failed (i.e. ALL tags update of the same file would either be successfully updated or failed to be updated, not partial of them). And after a while, the failed updates would be overwritten by the data in server, i.e. rollbacked to old data.

P.S. There is NO error msg of those "failed" updates. You just wait there and suddenly after a while you found some of the tag is rollbacked, there you know they are failed to be updated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up