INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC17.0.75 Failed to Recognize .MKV files as Video File  (Read 2387 times)

amdishigh

• Recent member
MC17.0.75 Failed to Recognize .MKV files as Video File
« on: January 31, 2012, 09:31:15 am »

MC17.0.75 Failed to Recognize .MKV files as Video File and thus NO tag available for edit (NO SideCar File generated though the option is enabled to generate it) and NOT able to be played. Also, when try to run "Get Movie & TV Info", it complains not appliable for non-Video type. Any idea? Seems all MKV imported after MC is upgraded to MC17.0.75 has this problem.

FYI, old MKV imported before is normal - able to be edited and played.
Also, the new MKV file is NOT found in Video, and only appears in "Drives & Devices".
BTW, those MKV files can be played from other video player without problem.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC17.0.75 Failed to Recognize .MKV files as Video File
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 01:13:28 pm »

I'm not seeing this here.

What is Options -> Video -> Video Mode set to?  If you are using a custom mode (not ROST or ROHQ) then you could have analysis problems, I think.

FYI: You can "fix" any files misidentified by changing the [Media Type] tag from Data to Video.  They shouldn't be getting misidentified though, so we should try to find the root cause.

Is there anything else strange about how you are importing these MKVs?  Are you "watching" (via Auto-Import) a folder where these are being actively downloaded (via a bittorrent client, for example)?  In-progress downloads can be mis-identified because MC will try to import them the second they are created, but before they contain any valid data.  If you are monitoring this type of folder, it is best to set your downloading application to download to a "temp" location, and then move them to a final location when the download is complete (and monitor that location).  This is very easy to do using uTorrent, for example.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

amdishigh

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 07:03:04 pm »

Hi Glynor,

The video mode is ROST.

And there is NO media type tab to change from Data to Video? in Tag Window, only Date, Format, Name, Playlist is available for edit (when Show All Tags is selected).

Also, the file is downloaded completely before being copyed to the imported folder.

And I've also tried to remove the file from the library and imported them again. But the result is same.

BTW, seems not only MKV is affected, rmvb has also the same problem here.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 07:12:30 pm »

And there is NO media type tab to change from Data to Video? in Tag Window, only Date, Format, Name, Playlist is available for edit (when Show All Tags is selected).

Sometimes certain tags don't show even when Show All is selected.  You can choose the "Also Show" thing to manually enable them.

amdishigh

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 07:52:18 pm »

"Also shows" has only the same 4 tags there and "Media Type" tag is not there too.

amdishigh

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 02:14:45 am »

Any advise on this problem?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 01:02:55 pm »

Any advise on this problem?

It is baffling.

I just checked.  When I pick "All Tags", [Media Type] does show in the Tag Action Window.

When I pick Same as Current View, it does not (even if it is a visible column), but you can pick Also Show, and you get a pop-out of every possible field type.  If you put a checkmark next to Media Type, it is added to the Tag AW down at the bottom.

I'm also not sure why MC is mis-identifying those.  Can you post a sample file so I can see if I can reproduce the issue with one of your MKVs?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 01:09:20 pm »

Are the files on a networked drive, or local to the PC?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 05:21:58 pm »

I just did a quick test and found - if you don't have a Media Sub Type set, the Tag does not show the field for "Media Sub Type"

I checked the Tag and everything was showing. Then I removed the Media Sub Type from the third column on screen below (F2, then deleted). When I checked the Tag again, there was no Media Sub Type field dispalyed.

amdishigh

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 10:57:34 pm »

Thx for all your advise. Using F2 and adding the Media Type column, the Media Type of those mkv files are shown as Unknown. After chaning the Media Type to Video, all the above mentinoed problems gone, e.g. I can change the Sub Media Type to TV Show and Carnac works then; Movie & TV lookup also works fine.

So, the problem remains to be same - why does .MKV file failed to be recognized as Video but instead as Unknown?

Hi glynor, Sorry but those mkv works are quite large (>500MB), anyway to upload?

Hi fitbrit, files are located at network.

Hi CountryBumkin, Thx for your tips of using F2 to edit the tags. :)

The unknown MKV is as shown below:

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 02:04:54 pm »

Hi glynor, Sorry but those mkv works are quite large (>500MB), anyway to upload?

There are lots of free file sharing sites online you can use (though MegaUpload is gone now).

If you want something nicer, Dropbox provides 2GB of free online cloud storage and is a slick service in other ways.  You can easily use Dropbox to post a public link to any file, by simply dropping it into your Public folder inside your Dropbox, then right clicking on the file and choosing Dropbox -> Copy Public Link.

You'd only need to keep the file there long enough for me to download it.  I'll host it on my webserver then long enough for the JRiver folks to grab a copy if they need it.

Sarane

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 08:34:57 pm »

I do have the same issue for a while.

I get a MKV, MC plays it no problem.  I transfer it in the library, and the file is no longer recognized.  Trying the solution above (manually changing the media type) worked.

Prior to that, I had to get them through MKVcleaner to get them recognized.  

Can it be that MKV header compression renders it unrecognizable by the library service?

Additional note:  Noticed that some .ts files suffer from the same syndrome.

amdishigh

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 09:16:22 pm »

I've not get time yet to upload the mkv files, but I've tried another way to see if the problem is related to the mkv.

I used another PC with MC installed (same version) and tried to import the MKV, and it works! The same mkv can be recognized correctly as Video & Sub-Type as TV Shows.

So I think it does reveal that the problem is not related to the mkv file but rather maybe some settings in the MC itself?

Pls advise. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up