INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Request: 5.0 Channels for JRSS in DSP  (Read 1628 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Request: 5.0 Channels for JRSS in DSP
« on: January 31, 2012, 01:51:30 pm »

I noticed that we don't have the option for a 5.0 speaker setup in the JRSS DSP Studio setup.  We have 5.1, but the next option is 4.0.  Can we get one?

My cheap, crappy subwoofer in my basement crapped out over the weekend.  I've been long-planning to buy a new subwoofer amp and redeploy an older (and still perfectly good except that the amp started buzzing very loudly) Klipsch sub I have, but since I had my super-crappy Creative one from an ages-old PC speaker setup, I didn't have much motivation, especially since (as I've explained elsewhere) my basement setup isn't ideal for sound quality anyway.

Well, a few things have happened.  First, I got a new PC case for the basement server for Christmas (thanks Mom!).  It is MUCH quieter.  I still need to replace the crappy little 60mm fan on my RAID box with two 120mm fans I have lying around, but I'm already in a better situation with the new case.

Second, now my existing crappy sub died.  So, I'm going to buy that amp finally.  But, for now, I have no sub.  I do, however, have a center channel still so I don't want to pick 4.0.  I just want the sub effects channel in Dolby Digital, JRSS mixing, and whatever to go to the two front mains for now.  They're not great, but they can handle some bass.   I'm sure there is some way I can configure the DSP to work right with 5.0 channels as-is (heck, maybe it is right already with it set to 5.1), but I couldn't figure it out without fiddling around and searching the forums.

Can we get a 5.0 dropdown in the Channels field in the DSP?  Even if it is identical to the 5.1 settings (if the 5.1 already sends the lfe to the front mains too), I think it might reduce confusion to have this setting.

I see people who have 5.0 surround systems all the time.  They always mean to buy an external amplified sub eventually, but lots of people never do.

"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Request: 5.0 Channels for JRSS in DSP
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 02:02:15 pm »

For now, you could just pick 5.1 and then use Parametric Equalizer to add the subwoofer to the L / R channels (and then optionally mute the SW).  You should probably do this chain:
Add +7 dB to SW (it should be +10 dB for the SW, but you'll be adding it to two speakers)
Add SW to L
Add SW to R
Mute SW
(Optionally) Reduce volume of all channels by 6dB (or similar) to avoid clipping

If we can find three other users that have a 5.0 setup and want this mode, we'll add it as a default mixing mode.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 02:10:12 pm »

Fair enough.

At least now if someone does bother to search the forum, they'll find this thread with instructions.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 02:15:14 pm »

You will also want to use the gain field in the mix channels filter since the subwoofer channel is -10 dB from the other channels. Since you are mixing to two speakers/channels you might want to try +7 or +8 dB. If all your speakers are the same, you could actually add the LFE channel to all other 5 channels instead of just the mains.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 03:18:34 pm »

Actually, I've been running my system as a 5.0 since the beginning of December. I had to disconnect and move the SW to make room for the (enormous) Christmas Tree! I haven't got around to redeploying it yet, although with an increasingly mobile almost 8 month old loose in the lounge I may keep it that way. The SW is perfect cruising height for toddlers, so I can see some speaker disaster looming! Also even at low volume it tends to cause some door rattling, so for the moment may keep it disconnected.

I just set my amp to 5.0 though and it does its own DRC. Maybe I should try setting MC to 5.0 to see if it sounds any better?

So I guess that counts as a 1/2.

2 1/2 more to go?

SBR

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 05:45:31 pm »

I had a similar situation with a Sub problem that I had to work around in the past. I was using ffdshow back then and had to do some fancy stuff there to "fix" the issue. 5.0 setups are not exactly the norm for sure, but when your sub/amp has issues, it's a quick fix till you get it working again. Since many subs are powered, it isn't exactly uncommon for it to be the only thing that fails...

Not a must have feature for me, that is unless I have sub issues... :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up