INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Shuffle by" question  (Read 894 times)

Klaus_K

• Recent member
"Shuffle by" question
« on: February 01, 2012, 05:13:30 am »

Hi,

having abandoned itunes a couple of years ago for JRiver, there's still a feature from itunes that I miss. In itunes you could set the shuffle settings to shuffle by "work" which was very convenient for me as a classical music lover. So the tracks that build up a work would always be played together when setting to shuffle.

It seems that JRiver doesn't allow this behaviour, unless I am missing something. Wouldn't this be a nice feature to add? I know that there is no "work" tag in JRiver out of the box. But it would be cool to be able to set a "shuffle by tag"

Regards
Klaus

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: "Shuffle by" question
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 06:14:20 am »

I think the closest you can get to this is a smart list that picks 1 track from all, or specified albums, shuffles them, then "expand to full album".

This gives a random order of albums, grouped in the list by album. Could that, erm, 'work' for you?

-marko

tom9920

• Recent member
Re: "Shuffle by" question
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 06:12:03 pm »

I didn't know iTunes had this feature, but it is definitely a missing feature in MC. 
Marko, here's an example why the workaround doesn't, er, work.  Some CDs are compilations of works related by the performer rather than by the composer.  So if I want to compile a playlist around a single composer, expanding to the entire CD will include unwanted works.  Shuffling based on tracks will result in the the works being split apart and played out of order.
Pages: [1]   Go Up