INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Equivalent of Apple AirPort that works with MediaCenter?  (Read 8880 times)

pqcgebxm

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Equivalent of Apple AirPort that works with MediaCenter?
« on: February 01, 2012, 08:01:47 pm »

Hi All,

I currently have a very simple home audio setup: I run Media Centre on a central media PC (it's a Mac Mini running Windows 7), connected directly (via a toslink cable) to an audio receiver, which in turn connects directly (wired) to 5.1 speakers in my lounge room.

Now, I'd like to also install a set of speakers (stereo) in my outdoor deck area. I could potentially run speaker cables, but installing them would be very difficult, so I'm considering options for some type of wireless setup.

Last weekend I visited a friend who has an all-Mac system. He's running iTunes (yuck) and remote AirPort Express units, which drive remote speakers. I thought this was a really nice setup. Is there any equivalent for Media Centre/Windows?

These are the features I'd like:

* Ability treat remote speakers as a separate zone
* Ability to play a separate playlist on remote speakers
* Small remote unit, so that I can just hide it up in the deck's pergola
* It would be ideal if the remote unit could power the speakers, but this isn't required.
* It would be ideal if Wifi were used, so that I wouldn't necessarily need a dongle at the source

I've seen some people recommend these, but I'm not 100% they would work for me:

http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/products/home-theater/RF-RBAUX.html
http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-W1#gallery

Any advice?

Thanks!

pqcgebxm

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Equivalent of Apple AirPort that works with MediaCenter?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 02:48:21 am »

I think what I need is a wifi DLNA renderer -- is that right? I found this product, but it's integrated with a speaker:

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=SANS400

I think a stand-alone renderer with speaker (stereo) output connectors would be better. Is anyone aware of a product like that?

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 04:11:51 am »

I have one of these - http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/JRiver_Id

You may need to bug a J River pers about when stock is expected however as I see they are currently out.

The other option is that if Gizmo could act as a DLNA Server then you could use any Andriod device (even an old phone)! 
JRiver CEO Elect

rjm

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 10:00:02 am »

I am using AirFoil to redirect audio from MC to an Airport Express. Works well on Win 7. Could not get it to work on XP. Search here for AirFoil for more info.

pcstockton

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 10:33:04 am »

Squeezebox Touch!
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

pqcgebxm

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 02:58:35 am »

Can I setup this device as a separate zone? Considering that this device is not available, are you aware of any 3rd party devices that perform a similar function?

I have one of these - http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/JRiver_Id

You may need to bug a J River pers about when stock is expected however as I see they are currently out.

pqcgebxm

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 02:59:50 am »

$500! No, I just need something I can stash away up in the roof rafters -- no need for an interface, remote, etc.

Squeezebox Touch!

pcstockton

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 09:33:24 am »

They can be had for $250.

But whatever.  Get an old squeezebox then.  Or an old iOS device with PlugPlayer

But if you want to stream hires you will need the SB Touch or better.

Have you gone to big box stores to see how much the low-end receiver are these days?  I think many include upnp now.

What is your budget?

-Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

pqcgebxm

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 12:27:42 am »

I'm not sure what you mean by "if you want to stream hires"... Do you mean rented content? If so, then no, just my personal mp3 library.

So far, I've only been researching on-line, because I really don't know what I need. Like I said earlier, I now think that a wireless dlna/upnp renderer is what I need, but even then, the specs on some devices are confusing. For instance, the Sony device I mentioned earlier says that the dlna servers it supports are the VAIO Media Plus and Microsoft Media Player 11/12 -- can this really be true? I thought the point of dlna was that it was a standard protocol. I'm guessing that it would in fact work with Media Centre, but I don't really want to order it and take the risk.

My budget is roughly $100. Perhaps if the Sony device works well and I could get it for $150, then that would be ok.

-K

They can be had for $250.

But whatever.  Get an old squeezebox then.  Or an old iOS device with PlugPlayer

But if you want to stream hires you will need the SB Touch or better.

Have you gone to big box stores to see how much the low-end receiver are these days?  I think many include upnp now.

What is your budget?

-Patrick

pqcgebxm

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 12:34:35 am »

I just tried this last night. It works, but the problem is that it's not visible to MC -- it just splits the output from MC to multiple destinations --  so there's no way to set up the Airport Express as a separate zone.

I am using AirFoil to redirect audio from MC to an Airport Express. Works well on Win 7. Could not get it to work on XP. Search here for AirFoil for more info.

pcstockton

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 01:32:05 am »

I'm not sure what you mean by "if you want to stream hires"... Do you mean rented content? If so, then no, just my personal mp3 library.

Hi resolution audio.  Anything over standard CD resolution @ 16bits/44.1khz 

If you are MP3 only then this will be a foreign concept.

That Sony thing is probably perfect.

pqcgebxm

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 03:29:28 pm »

I've pretty much decided to go with the W1 device:

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-W1

It's not a dlna renderer, but functionally it's the same. My real preference is for the JRiver Id, but they have no plans for restocking them.

pqcgebxm

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 08:24:18 pm »

Just an update on this... I ended up getting the next generation W3:

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-W3

It works perfectly. Incredibly simple to use -- just plug it in at both ends, then create a zone in MC (the W3 appears as a new sound output device).
Pages: [1]   Go Up