INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless remote  (Read 1639 times)

seacrabb

• nothing more to say...
Wireless remote
« on: March 16, 2003, 10:59:58 am »

I have a quetion concerning the remote capabilities of MJ. I have several computers connected to a wireless router. One of the computers is a laptop connected with a wireless card. The others are connected the router with cat5 and store my playlists. I want to play my playlists from one machine using the laptop as the control. I want the music played NOT from the laptop, but from one of the other machines. Is this possible with MJ server? If so how?

Thanks,
Carl

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Wireless remote
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2003, 11:50:29 am »

If I'm understanding correctly, you want to keep your music files and playlists on other machines, but control and hear the music out of your laptop.

I believe the Media Server does this fine. Install MJ on both the "server" and the laptop. Turn on the Media Server on the "server" machine & configure it.

Then use the laptop's copy of MJ to open the URL created by the MJ server.

If I've misunderstood, please post back...

Brad

ama_mmmc

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2003, 12:14:09 pm »

Actually, it sounds like you DO NOT want the sound played back on the laptop, which is what Media Server would do.  You have several options.  Do a search for Web Remote, Net Remote, or Glissando on these boards, and you will get plenty of information regarding how to control a machine remotely using one of those tools.  Ask again if you can't find it and I point you in the right direction.

Drew

seacrabb

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2003, 04:16:19 pm »

Just the opposite. I want to play music from a different machine using  the laptop as a remote control only. I have an Audigy2 sound card in the desk top that I want use for sound. I don't want sound from the laptop.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Thanks,
Carl

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2003, 06:46:12 pm »

Carl,

Then I second what was posted above, check out WebRemote (MJ8 plugin), Glissando (Flash interface for MJ using WebRemote), or NetRemote (allows TCP/IP control of MJ via WebRemote).

You could also use VNC to put an entire desktop display on your laptop.

You could also use Girder and IR signals....

The list goes on...

Brad

seacrabb

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2003, 07:40:21 am »

Brad,
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm currently trying both WebRemote and Girder. WebRemote is giving me an error, "couldn't create WebRemote listener". As you may be able to tell, I'm new at this. Where can I go to get more information?

Thanks,
Carl

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2003, 01:39:41 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm currently trying both WebRemote and Girder. WebRemote is giving me an error, "couldn't create WebRemote listener".

This sounds like a problem with a firewall or port assignment. I'm assuming you are using MJ8.x and have used the "Plug-In Manager" to install WebRemote from the Interface plugins page.

Once it's installed, I would quit MJ, then relaunch it. You should find the WebRemote plugin listed in the tree on the left side of the screen. When you select the plugin from the tree, adjust the port number to an unused port on your machine. If you are running a web server, you can't use port 80. A standard port for WebRemote is 8080...

As you may be able to tell, I'm new at this. Where can I go to get more information?

I don't know where there is much info on WebRemote. Since it's a component of the NetRemote package, you might check out:

http://www.netremote.org

As for Girder, make sure you check out the "Getting Started" guide:

http://www.girder.nl/help/gettingstarted/index.php

Hope this helps a bit!
Brad

loraan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2003, 07:03:26 am »

I use VNC (http://www.tightvnc.com, I think, or web search on "tightvnc") to do what you describe. VNC is a generic remote-control program, allowing you to control the keyboard and mouse of a remote computer from a local computer using your network connection and TCP/IP. I prefer this since it lets me control all aspects of MJ, just as if I were sitting at the remote computer. In fact, it allows me to control everything about the remote computer: install software, plug-ins, etc...

Joshua

Juice

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2003, 09:07:16 am »

What OS are you using?

I am currently doing what you are wanting to do.
I have a network and a laptop connected via 802. The way I do it is to use Windows XP "Remote Desktop Connection" It is the new Windows Terminal Server.

When setting up your connection from the laptop to your PC, Select "Remote computer Sound" and choose "Leave at remote computer".

You then launch your connection to the PC where MJ is running.

Hope this helps.

Nick
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
-Albert Einstein
Pages: [1]   Go Up