INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multichannel hi-res music  (Read 3145 times)

JRFan

• Recent member
Multichannel hi-res music
« on: February 06, 2012, 03:08:13 pm »

I am trying to get some of my DVD-A multichannel music to play in MC-17. I have ripped to lossless 6 channel FLAC file @ 24/96.
I am trying to get 6 channel 24/96 playback but MC-17 choices for playback are to convert to 2 channel or convert to what is basically AC3 (5.1).

Audio is WASP event style. Audio connected to an Anthem DV2 which supports 8 channels (according to the manual) via HDMI.
I am wondering where the weak link is. Would it be the HDMI driver on the PC does not support (uncompressed) 6 channel audio?

Any ideas on how to get 24/96 6 channel music to play directly without conversion?

Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Multichannel hi-res music
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 03:27:56 pm »

What happens if you select 5.1 or 7.1 output in DSP Studio > Output Format?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JRFan

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 07:17:26 pm »

DSP:
Source bit depth or 24 bit
Channels set to Source number of channels, 5.1, 7.1 or 12 channel all give the same result.
Playback could not be started uning the format: 96kHz 24bit 6ch.
This format would work: 96kHz 24bit 2ch

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 08:44:21 pm »

That means the driver is refusing to accept 6 or 8 channel output.

Have you tried configuring Windows (Control Panel > Sound) to do 6 or 8 channel output?  Is it able to?

Is it possible there's a driver update?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JRFan

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 09:30:12 pm »

The audio driver is the Intel Display Audio driver. I am using a mother board with HDMI built in and the audio/video support built into the mother board. Been good up until now. No video card, less heat but I would put in a card that supports 6 channels.

In the audio configuration for the driver the channels are listed as: Stereo, Quadraphonic, 3.1 surround, 5.1 surround and 7.1 surround.
Nothing about 6 or 8 channel directly. Supported sample rates: 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz and 192 kHz.
I am letting the pre/pro decode formats but the driver says it supports DTS, DTS-HD, Dolby Digital, TrueHD. I am using the current drivers.

Any suggestions on what card might or would work?
I wonder if there is a way to rip DVD-A to DTS-HD or TrueHD as I don't seem to have issues with those formats.

JRFan

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 03:10:47 pm »

Matt, as you have said, this is probably a hardware issue but I had needed to take another look.
I looked around to see what FLAC tags might be involved. I found "WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE_CHANNEL_MASK" in the Extended tags.
The values in my files were 0x00. This tag does the Channel number to Speaker assignment so the player knows which channel to send to which speaker.
I also found that the value 0x003F is 6 channel [5.1]. I was able to edit the tags in my files but unfortunately it did not help.

My reciever shows that the HDMI input from the computer registers as 7.1 PCM. That is what is also configured in the sound control panel.
It seems to me that the hardware does support 8 channels but sees it as 7.1 (or 6 channels as 5.1). Just can't figure out how to bridge the gap.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 04:07:50 pm »

DSP:
Source bit depth or 24 bit
Channels set to Source number of channels, 5.1, 7.1 or 12 channel all give the same result.
Playback could not be started uning the format: 96kHz 24bit 6ch.
This format would work: 96kHz 24bit 2ch

Two things:

1. Try changing the Windows audio output format to 5.1. (Right-click speaker in tray->Playback options->select HDM audio device->Click Configure)
2. Lower the WASAPI buffer.

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 12:31:53 am »

I have the same problem with my FLAC 6 channel DVD-audio rips - I cannot play them in 6 channels. Because MC sees them as music it only allows them to play back in 2 channel stereo or to up-mix them to surround sound, but not to play them back in their native 6 channels. All my windows and MC17 settings are correct, but MC won't recognize music files as anything other than 2 channel, with options for faking the surround sound. I've tried everything but if I make adjustments in the AUDIO section to have MC recognize 6 channel FLAC audio files then something gets screwed up in my 5.1 video playback. I only have a handfull of 5.1 FLAC DVD-Audio rips so I've just ignored it, but it sure is a setback. IMO, I don't thinks it's hardware, but MC related. If MC could handle AUDIO and VIDEO seperately, then that may solve these issues. But right now MC either upconverts or downconverts ALL channels, regardless if they are ausio or video.

Jimmy
Custom PC based music systems and information panels....really.
www.jdsmarthome.com

Hirez24

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 08:00:21 am »

I have ripped about 30 dvd-a albums to multichanel flac and have had no problems, I am going from an ati 5000 series to a onkyo 809 via hdmi.

JRFan

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 08:57:31 am »

Two things:

1. Try changing the Windows audio output format to 5.1. (Right-click speaker in tray->Playback options->select HDM audio device->Click Configure)
2. Lower the WASAPI buffer.

My playback options actually show 2 HDMI devices, one listed as HDMI and the only option is stereo. The other is my reciever which is set to 7.1 and actually shows number of channels as 8. No change there.
I lowered the WASPI buffer to minimum hardware value and presto.
IT WORKS!!!!

Thanks everyone. ;D

Kenjmoser

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 05:07:33 pm »

I recently purchased and setup JRiver.  I was having the same issue and error message since until I found this post.  My DVD audio Flac file rips would only play in stereo.  I have a new HP unit with the I7 processor, 8 Gig of Ram, an SSD drive for the OS and programs with a 2TB D drive for my music.  It has the Beat's audio program (that I don't want anything to do with) with an HDMI AMD Radeon HD 6570 that I hooked up via HDMI to my Denon AVR-3808CI.  I had it setup for Direct under the JRiver configuration assuming that was the best way and that was the problem.  When I changed it to WASAPI Event Style the 5.1 music flowed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up