INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More Play Options  (Read 1781 times)

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
More Play Options
« on: February 09, 2012, 01:11:14 pm »

Good day all!

More often than not when something seems strange in MC it is a matter of me not understanding the bigger picture or often missing an alternate route.  So I thought I would ask this question I have wondered about since day 1.

(I apologize for not being sure what you call all of these right-clickcomponents.  Context menu maybe?)

Why are the "More Play Options" so buried within right-click?  Is there a reason why they cannot exist within the main drop-down list?  It is nice that the last used command is always at the top of the menu, but having to go all the way into the "More Play Options" sub-list to simply remove an item from a playlist is a little cumbersome.

I often forget that delete from playlist is even in there as I dont really consider it a "playback option".

I realize not everything can fit in the right-click main drop-down but it seems like the various playback options would be of utmost importance to everyone.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Cheers!
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: More Play Options
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 02:08:34 pm »

The last used item is always at the top of the right-click menu.  You can also customize the number of MRU items to show.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

pcstockton

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 02:39:18 pm »

Thanks for the quick response Matt.  You guys are the BEST!

Yes, i definitely see and use the "last option" at the top of the right-click menu.

How and where do you change the settings on number of MRU items shown?

I guess my other question would be, can we customize the rick-click menu beyond that?

I would LOVE to have everything in the "More Play Options" to always be visible in the initial right-click menu rather than having to go into the sub-menu. 

Thanks again,
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 02:45:01 pm »

How and where do you change the settings on number of MRU items shown?

Search "recent command" in Options.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 02:54:06 pm »

Options>Tree & View>Advanced
Sean

pcstockton

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 03:15:12 pm »

aha...  those darned Advanced settings.  I always have always shied away from those hoping not to get in too deep.  :-[

Many thanks you two.

Does no one else share the sentiment that those "More Playback Options" should be up one level?

Lastly, is there any way to make the MRU items static, i.e. never change items and order?  Or one or the other?

The reason is that regardless of how many MRU items I show they will always be in different orders and depending on the last few operations, my "More Play Options" type options may be gone.

For example, I would love "Play With Play Doctor" to always be easily accessible through a single right-click, rather than having to dive into the sub-menu.

thx again,
patrick

MrC

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 03:25:53 pm »

I think the moving of menu items to try to please everyone will be a source of endless frustration.  I'd think two better alternatives are:

1) support complete user-customization of menus
 2) provide buttons for all menu items so users can add those items to the toolbar

rick.ca

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 06:20:32 pm »

The MRU system probably works better than many users give it credit for. It adapts to the user's usage pattern without requiring fiddling with settings. But it can be annoying when a command used every day gets bumped because one happens to be using many different commands for an irregular task. So maybe a hybrid approach would be helpful...

3) provide a toggle (i.e., a checkmark) for pinning any MRU item—so it "sticks" at the bottom of the list rather than getting bumped from the menu.

This would provide a natural and easy way to keep an often-used command on the menu, and an equally easy way to remove it when the usage pattern changes and/or there's no longer room for it. Even if the current system generally works fine, this would provide the means to easily lock some commands temporarily while doing the sort of irregular task that would otherwise cause all existing commands to be bumped from the menu. The current maximum number of commands could be increased from 8 to, say, 12, to allow room for some pinned items without restricting the number of unpinned commands.

MrC

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 06:25:00 pm »

(3) is a good option too!

pcstockton

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 07:51:07 pm »

Thanks guys.

I wasn't even sure I was describing the scenario clearly.

#3 is very nice.  I like the "pinning" idea a TON!!!

You can always count on rick.....

Cheers!
Patrick

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 09:53:36 pm »

I have it set to 6 and find even that isn't enough once in a while. 

I have for ever wondered why click on PLAYER (menu bar), right click on PLAYING NOW (tree) and right click on a TRACK (uh, not-tree) result in different lists of actions all regarding playing.  While seemingly a small thing, it has, to me, always seemed inconsistent and a source of which-one-do-I-need-to-click-now-because-I-know-it-is-in-here-somewhere-in-one-of these-almost-the-same-things.  If I had my hands on the GUI then right click on PLAYING NOW and the PLAYER menu would be the same list (commonizing the two separate menu's into one).  Ah, probably just me......

FastKayak / Larry

rick.ca

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 11:09:30 pm »

I have for ever wondered why click on PLAYER (menu bar)...

For the most part, they seem to comply with the Windows convention of being a context menu. The commands included pertain to the object selected—the currently playing file, Playing Now and a file in a file list. Player commands pertain to a file, but not the Playing Now playlist. Commands like Stop and Pause apply to the currently playing file, but there are already buttons for those.
Pages: [1]   Go Up