INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't play files using WASAPI in Media Center 17 with windows 7 [Solved]  (Read 1782 times)

Yorkwhite

• Recent member

I have just installed Media Center 17. I cannot get any files to play other than using Direct Sound. I did have the free version but upgraded to get better sound quality through WASAPI but no joy. I have Windows 7 on a computer that is a few years old and which only has the onboard soundcard. Is this the problem? I thought that WASAPI was part of Win 7 so would play? I do not know which settings to use as all the ones I have tried have failed so far. Can anyone help, please? Thanks

(I have a desktop pc that sends music to good quality wireless, powered speakers)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Can't play files using WASAPI in Media Center 17 with windows 7
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 06:51:00 am »

WASAPI is part of Win7.

There are two kinds.  Try both.

Try updating drivers.

Yorkwhite

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 09:30:37 am »

Tried updating driver - latest version. Does not work with either version of WASAPI still.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 09:57:02 am »

That is very strange.  Did you try Google for similar problems?

Make sure you select the sound card in the Audio settings.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 10:09:06 am »

Yorkwhite, does MC show an error message? What does it say?

I guess you are experiencing a format error. By design WASAPI bypasses the standard Windows mixer and its automatic processing features. It is possible that the format of the played files is not compatible with the sound device's natively supported formats.

For example, many onboard sound devices do not support the usual 44.1 kHz sample rate. You could try to set the Sample rate setting to 48 kHz in DSP Studio > Output Format. You may also need to set the Bitdepth setting to 16-bit.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Yorkwhite

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 01:17:56 pm »

Success! Changing to 48 KHz @16 bit has allowed it to work.. I was already trying to run in 16 bit withno success so it was obviously down to not supporting 44.1. I would never have thought of that. Many, many thanks, Alex!

maid

Where is the bitdepth set??
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

DSP Studio > Output Format > Bitdepth
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up