INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Server - Convert if Necessary on 96 KHz tracks  (Read 1160 times)

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Library Server - Convert if Necessary on 96 KHz tracks
« on: February 09, 2012, 08:19:35 am »

It appears that if Convert if Necessary is set on the client then high resolution flac files (96Khz, 192 KHz) files are converted to 48 KHz files. That raises the question as to what "convert if necessary means". I though it was primarily to deal with different file types, but it appears to also effect high resolution files. Is it really "necessary" to downsample 96KHz to 48 KHz with today's networks and systems? Also, I believe Convert if Necessary is the default setting. Since this is a pretty obscure and not well documented option it took a long time to figure out that this was what the cause of the downsampling.

Should 96 KHz and 192 KHz files be downsampled with the "If Necessary" setting? I see no reason it should be necessary.

Does it make sense to change the default to Never? I would rather have the system fail than have it convert in the background and never tell me.

Could DSP studio display when these types of conversions are being made? Otherwise there does not seem to be any easy way to know that this conversion is happening.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
Re: Library Server - Convert if Necessary on 96 KHz tracks
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 06:53:03 am »

Should 96 KHz and 192 KHz files be downsampled with the "If Necessary" setting? I see no reason it should be necessary.

Good question. The fact is that most of today'ss renderers can be relied on to support 44100hz and 48000hz at 16 bit but they run out of steam for higher bitrates or bit depths. So I suppose that MC tends to err on the safe side.

Could DSP studio display when these types of conversions are being made? Otherwise there does not seem to be any easy way to know that this conversion is happening.

If your ears can't tell, why would you want to worry your eyes about it? Enjoy the music...
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

dtc

• MC Beta Team
Re: Library Server - Convert if Necessary on 96 KHz tracks
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 10:05:34 am »

Good question. The fact is that most of today'ss renderers can be relied on to support 44100hz and 48000hz at 16 bit but they run out of steam for higher bitrates or bit depths. So I suppose that MC tends to err on the safe side.

If your ears can't tell, why would you want to worry your eyes about it? Enjoy the music...

Thanks for responding. It seems like everyone else thinks this is a non issue.

Actually, I think most systems can stream 96K at 24 bits fine on a wireless LAN these days. I understand being conservative, but performance changes over time. I think this function should also. Personally, I would rather have the transfer not work and then have the user select the conversion than have it done automatically without informing the user. Honestly, I think a lot of people do not know how "Convert if Necessary" works, if they even know it is there.

Why not display the conversion in the audio path display? The audio display feature has been well receive by many for other purposes. It is a great way to see that the data is passing as you think it should. I just suggest extending it. Given the complexity of today's software, displaying conversions and connection types seems like a good thing to do. That is why the option was added.

I brought this up because a new user spend a full week trying to figure out why his 96K files were being delivered to his DAC at 48K. A simple display would have helped. It would be even better if the software did not do the conversion at all unless requested. I bet there are others out there who are having their files converted and do not know it. It may not sound so bad it is obvious, but the conversion does not give you the best possible sound you can get.

Just my thoughts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up