INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why are my folders in My Music locked?  (Read 12287 times)

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Why are my folders in My Music locked?
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2012, 12:23:06 pm »

Thanks a lot. I have done what you suggested, but Scolex process didn't change. I have to follow all his steps.
I would like to put my computer as it was before your suggestion. could you explain how to do it?

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2012, 12:37:00 pm »

What I was asking was if what you described as:The whole point is that it resets all explicit permissions to the parent permissions, can do any harm to my computer in the future and, if yes, what shall I do.
I would like also to know how to set my laptop as it was, after I did what MrHagen suggested.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Cheers
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2012, 01:08:26 pm »

There is no need since you are an administrator the difference is if the computer has multiple admins only the admin that owns the file can modify it.
I am sure you only have 1 admin so it is moot.
By default ownership for media files is Administrators (ComputerName\Administrators) just change it back to that if you wish.
Using the global folder function "The whole point is that it resets all explicit permissions to the parent permissions" will not cause any damage now or in the future. It is just a way to make the change quickly.

Sean

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2012, 01:34:56 pm »

Scolex:
I have finished my work and for now, everything is OK.
For the future, when I rip more CD what can happen? Will the lockers show again? If yes, I already know what to do. However is there a way to avoid future lockers?
And how can I to put my computer like it was before MrHaugen suggestion, witch I have applied?
Thanks again.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2012, 02:14:21 pm »

Scolex:
For the future, when I rip more CD what can happen? Will the lockers show again? If yes, I already know what to do. However is there a way to avoid future lockers?
And how can I to put my computer like it was before MrHaugen suggestion, witch I have applied?
Thanks again.

I don't think the locks will appear in the future, if they do I suspect the Cisco software you spoke of since it is effecting your shares.

To return to state before MrHaugen's suggestion just do the same as suggested only select "Administrators(*yourcomputername*\Administrators)".

There is no need to though since you have administrator rights.
The difference is if the computer has multiple administrator only the user/administrator that owns the file can modify it. When set to Administrators(*yourcomputername*\Administrators) any administrator can modify it.

I have multiple user accounts and all files in each users respective user folder are owned by them and only they have full rights. I think this is the best practice, not because I think a user would purposely alter files from another user but accidents do happen.
Sean

MrHaugen

« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2012, 02:27:24 pm »

Oh oh. Hope I did not cause any trouble. File permissions can be a person, but the ownership thing usually takes care of it. I was in a hurry and did not have the time to read through the thread, so I just threw something out there :)
- I may not always believe what I'm saying
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up