INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Why are my folders in My Music locked?  (Read 12288 times)

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
Why are my folders in My Music locked?
« on: February 09, 2012, 02:33:58 pm »

When I needed to put some music on a slide show, I tried to use some tracks of different albums and they have a locker on every track and I can't use them.
This is very annoying and I am asking how to solve this.
Unfortunately, I just had an answer to one of my posts and fear to have the same result.
In that case, and as much I appreciate MC, I have to look to another media center.
I confess I feel lost and don't get enough support from custom service.
I am sorry, but I real feel decepted.
Best regards,
Urbanito

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Cheers
Re: Why are my folders in My Music locked?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 02:48:23 pm »

What do you mean by "lockers"
Sean

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 03:58:59 pm »

Each track of each album is presented with a small locker (a locker picture).
I just bought a slide show software-the Pro Show Gold) witch assists on the preparation of slide shows. It is a very nice program and, after selecting the pictures, it prompt us with a "Add Music" function. When I press Add, all the files stored in "my music" show up and I have to select the albums and tracks I wish.
When I try to open the Album, it is presented as empty and I can't select the music. If I go back to my music, not through the program, they are full, but "locked" showing a locker in each track. This only happened since I have Media Center and drives me crazy. Media Center takes possession of all the albums I have, ripped with it or with another ripper.
Can you help me? I will be very very grateful.
Kind regards,
Urbanito

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 04:17:26 pm »

I think you may be asking about the file association, which is the default thing that runs when you double-click a file in Explorer.

You can set Media Center file associations in Media Center > Options > File Types.

Select all the types you want to unassociate (shift+click) and uncheck 'File association' at the bottom, then click OK on the dialog.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 04:35:15 pm »

Do you mean something like this only on a media file instead of a folder.
Are the files on a network drive or local?
Sean

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 04:40:38 pm »

Thanks for your support. I tried carefully several options, but the problem remains. The Lockers are there and don't allow to move the files. Even Windows Media Player can't access to them, even if I convert FLACs into WAV.
I already lost some of my licenses uninstalling and re-installing Media Center, but when it gets installed again, it locks everything.
I like many things on MC, but others I just can't understand. And this type of getting support, based on you, great fellows, but not implying management, is something difficult for me to accept, dealing with a paid product.
Please give me advice.
Kind regards,
Urbanito

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 04:46:01 pm »

Hi Scolex:
It is exactly that.
I am not now on a network. I am using just my laptop, with 650 Gb. I have the same files on my PC, but I transferred them to it after doing a backup without compression to an external hard drive.
Kind regards,
Urbanito

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 04:49:36 pm »

Hi again, Scolex:
I may not have been clear. I have my files on my Laptop, ripped to it, most of them with MC. They are not on a network.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 04:57:34 pm »

Media Center does not have the ability to take ownership of files to my knowledge.
right click on one of the files, select properties, in the properties window select the security tab, then advanced and check owner and permissions.
I suspect something outside of MC is effecting permissions and/or owner.
Since I have not ripped any CDs since upgrading to 17 I am now just to check behavior on my system.

Rip went fine no strange permission behavior or lock icon.
Sean

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 05:15:17 pm »

It is probably a file permission problem, but I don't know what is causing it.

I tried this search:
http://www.google.com/search?q=windows+lock+file+icon.

The problem seems to be quite common. Perhaps some of the links that Google finds can help.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 05:24:00 pm »

Thanks again.
I am going to do what you just suggested. In the mean time, using a converter, I convert 3 albums from FLAC to Monks (2) and to WAV (1). They went to the files and the ones that were converted don't have the lockers anymore. I have now two tracks, one with the locker, the old ones, and the other without the locker, the converted ones. I can try to delete the ones with the locker, but I fear that, once imported to the Media Center, they will get locked again.
Does this tells you anything?

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 05:28:57 pm »

I already checked the permissions and I have no restrictions, since it is a domestic computer. My wife and I, we both use it or, at least, we can do it.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 05:30:05 pm »

What program are you using to make your backup. (Norton Ghost?)
Windows version?
Sean

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 05:42:35 pm »

I have a special program, but I am not using it. Instead I use the old Drag and Drop. Since I have USB3, the process is quit fast and safe.
I live in Lisbon and it is time to bed.
If you cad come up with a solution, I will be very happy to see it in the morning.
Thanks again and have a good day or night, plenty of good ideas.
Best regards

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 05:18:23 am »

Hi Scolex:
I am here again, waiting for your possible advice.
Kind regards,
Urbanito

MGD_King

• It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 06:32:29 am »

Hi Urbanito! Can you tell me what folder structure you're using when ripping and where they are stored? Is it something like c:\Music\[Aritst]\[Album]?

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 08:13:10 am »

Following my post about MC locking my files on "my music" (windows 7, latest update), I noticed that MC just applies it rules to FLAC files. Or  it loves FLAC too much and takes possession of them, nor allowing to share them, either it hates FLAG and is giving me a signal to not use it anymore, or "face the consequences"
After a lot of thinking and using our MC fellows suggestions, I converted some files to
 Monkeys and the problem got solved: no more lockers in my files.
The problem is that I have to convert more than 500 albums, and for each one, deleting all the FLAC files.
I already verified that MC imports automatically the new ones without any problem.
I don't know witch of the two encoders has better sound, but they sound slightly different, the Monkeys sounding a little fuller and with a little roll of of high frequencies, a situation that needs more evaluation.
Any one has an explanation?
To the good fellows that helped me already on the other post, I am asking to keep going on this one, witch I think may have a broader interest.
Best wishes to all.

Urbanito

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 08:18:19 am »

Thanks a lot.
The srtructure, if I understood weel your question, is C:\Users\name\Music

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 08:57:22 am »

Audio formats are like Media Center's children, and it loves them all equally.

The lock issue you saw with FLAC is something we've never had reported before, and it's not clear that it's a JRiver issue.  I think we need more information, or to see it happen on a couple machines, to get to the bottom of it.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ElQuia

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 09:56:49 am »

80% of my 600 GB of music is in flac, I don´t have problems neither with my licenced MC16 nor with 17 trials. I am on Win7 x64 ultimate full up to date.
Some flacs are downloaded, others ripped with older MC versions other ripped wiht Easy CDDA...

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 11:18:25 am »

Following my post about MC locking my files on "my music" (windows 7, latest update), I noticed that MC just applies it rules to FLAC files. Or  it loves FLAC too much and takes possession of them, nor allowing to share them, either it hates FLAG and is giving me a signal to not use it anymore, or "face the consequences"

You are jumping to conclusions.  Many MC users store music in Flac format without the sort of problems you see.  I have been using Flac files in MC for almost 6 years. 

Several people asked you for more detail in the other thread you started.  You did not provide enough detail for them to understand your problem.

The problem is that I have to convert more than 500 albums, and for each one, deleting all the FLAC files.

This effort would be a waste of time.  You need to describe your problem in more detail and then solve it with aid from othgers on this forum.

To the good fellows that helped me already on the other post, I am asking to keep going on this one, witch I think may have a broader interest.

You started the other thread less than 24 hours ago.  You need to have a little patience and do your part to resolve this problem.

Any one has an explanation?

Your problem probably has nothing to do with MC.  It is probably related to the way Windows VCista/7 manages access to folders.

You seemed to be be saying that the slide show does not show the Flac files as being in the MyMusic folder where you expect to see them.  Were you logged in as the same user when you used the slide show program as when you created the Flac files (or imported them, into MC?)

Bill

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 11:24:08 am »

Try this:
Go to your user folder
Right click on the music folder and click on“Properties”.
Go to the tab “Security”.
Click on the “Advanced” button at the bottom.
Click on “Change Permission”.
Select your user account and check the option “Include inheritable permissions from this object’s parent”.
Click on apply to remove the lock icon.
Sean

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2012, 12:55:36 pm »

Hi Bill:
Inpatient I am. You are wright.
But I don't remember of not supplying all the information that was asked.
Let me try to explain what the situation is:
When I rip music, the files are saved in folders in "My Music", whatever the encoder I use. MC imports the files from there.
I spent quite a bit of time without visiting "My Music" during the ripping process. Some time ago, I noticed that all the files ripped using MC had a locker picture in each track but I didn't care, since I had my music on MC and was organising my library in it.
The first time I noticed that something different was going on, was when I opened Windows Media Center and it couldn't "see" any files. I didn't care very much, since it was not the program i was using anyway, but I fell it a little strange. Please have in mind that this is my first time with streamed music and I don't know very much about.
Three days ago I tried to use a software to create slide shows - Pro Show Gold. It is an advance and fun program that guides we during the creation process on a very simple and intuitive way. The program asks for some pictures as the first step. It opens  "My Pictures" and I just browse and select the ones I want.
After that, the program asks for some music. I click "add" and it opened "My Music". I browsed to select the folder I wanted. Unfortunately the folder was presented without any music to selectfrom. as if it was empty. I tried several times with the same negative results. I went back to "my Music", searched the same albums and they had all the tracks in. I concluded that the problemshoul be related with the locked tracks.
I called a friend in the US, the one witch recommended the program and posts photos like me in DPreview and explained the problem. He told me that he had not that problem and suggested that the problem should be related to the locked files. I ripped a CD using Windows Media Player and the music became available to use with the slide show creator.
So far I have done whatever that was recommend or suggested buy MC generous fellows, but the lockers are still there.
Only after that I tried to convert some albums to Monks. The files on the converted folders were there without any locker and were available for the slide show creator.
I will be very happy if I could solve the problem without converting all my files to Monks.
But I feel quite frustrated with the problem and I am asking again for support, since i can't find a solution.
I am disposed to allow remote access to my laptop, if someone experienced wants to do that to try to understand what I may have done wrong and fix the problem.
I can be contacted by my email: jaurbano at sapo dot pt. After 9PM, London time, I have free phone calls.
Mi number is (351) 212910700 and if someone contacts me by email, please give me your phone number, in order to allow me to call (not a cell phone)
Kind regards, Urbanito

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2012, 01:26:45 pm »

I have tried what you told me. However I didn't understand well what to do, since my Windows 7 is in Portuguese and I also have some limitations on computers.
I went well until "change permissions", but I couldn't find my user account to select.
I also noticed that "include inheritable permissions from this object's parent" was already checked.
How do I find my user account to select? I don't see it or I don't know what it is.

If you may and want to remotely access my Laptop, please do it. You can contact me by email: jaurbano@sapo.pt
If you give me your phone number (not a cell) I have free calls after 9PM, London time and I could be in contact with you.
I don´t know which software I should download to let you access my computer.
I already ow you a lot.
Kind regards,
Urbanito
PS: it is now 7H25 of my time.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2012, 01:28:14 pm »

Are you willing to have someone guide you via remote control access? 

TeamViewer QuickSupport is easy, no install required, free and allows you to see exactly what is happening, so someone can remotely and efficiently diagnose and guide you.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2012, 02:14:46 pm »

Yes, and I will be very obliged.
I need to know witch program shell I have to allow the conection.

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2012, 02:33:12 pm »

Try running Unlocker to see which processes may have a lock on the files.  It will show the PID of each process that has a lock on the files or folder.  Then run SysInternals Process Explorer to look at the process with that PID and see what else is running in that process.  Run Process Explorer as administrator so you can see all processes from all users (there is an option in the file menu to see processes for all users).

If the files or folders are actually being locked then this should let you know what is doing the locking.  I would suspect maybe an explorer extension or maybe an anti-malware product or some other security product is causing the block or lock.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2012, 03:46:04 pm »

But I don't remember of not supplying all the information that was asked.

Several people asked you specific questions and suggested things for you to try.  In my previous post, I asked

"Were you logged in as the same user when you used the slide show program as when you created the Flac files (or imported them, into MC?)"

and you did not answer.

> The first time I noticed that something different was going on,
> was when I opened Windows Media Center and it couldn't "see" any files.

Windows Media Center does not recognize the Flac format so it does not list Flac files.

Are you sure that the "Pro Show Gold" program recognizes the Flac format?  The supported file formats list for the Gold version on their web site says

"Audio Formats

.OGG   Ogg Vorbis audio
.MP3   MPEG 3 music file
.WAV   Windows sound
.WMA   Windows audio file (1)
.M4A   MPEG 4 audio file"

Flac is not listed.

> When I rip music, the files are saved in folders in "My Music", whatever the encoder I use. MC imports the files from there.
> I spent quite a bit of time without visiting "My Music" during the ripping process.

You may not be aware that Windows Vista/7 creates more than one folder named "My Music" on your hard drive.  I have four on my PC:

c:\users\A\My Music
c:\users\A\My Documents\My Music  (a shortcut link)
c:\users\default\Documents\My Music   (a shortcut link)
c:\users\public\Public Documents\My Music    (this one is locked when I am logged in as user=A.)

It may be simpler to pick a different location on your hard drive for your music files.  C:\music for example.

> Some time ago, I noticed that all the files ripped using MC had a locker picture in each track
>  but I didn't care, since I had my music on MC and was organising my library in it.

I have been using MC for almost 6 years and have not seen this behavior.  I just set MC17 to store ripped files in c:\users\A\Music and ripped a CD.  The Flac files were not marked as read-only and the folder they were in was not locked.

It seems unlikely to me as it did to other people replying to your first post that MC is causing your files to be locked.

> I tried to use a software to create slide shows - Pro Show Gold....
> After that, the program asks for some music. I click "add" and it opened "My Music".

As noted, above, there is more than one "My Music" folder or shortcut.

> I browsed to select the folder I wanted.
> Unfortunately the folder was presented without any music to selectfrom. as if it was empty

As I noted above, The slide show program may not recognize the Flac format.

>  I went back to "my Music", searched the same albums and they had all the tracks in.

Perhaps you can understand now that Windows Explorer was showing you all the files in the folder while Pro Show Gold was showing you only the files it could use.

>  I concluded that the problemshoul be related with the locked tracks.

You were probably wrong.

>  I ripped a CD using Windows Media Player and the music became available to use with the slide show creator.

Windows Media Player probably ripped the CD to a file type supported by Pro Show Gold such as WMA or MP3.

This is an example of your jumping to conclusions.

>  Please have in mind that this is my first time with streamed music and I don't know very much about.
> I called a friend in the US, the one witch recommended the program and posts photos like me in DPreview and explained the problem.
> He told me that he had not that problem and suggested that the problem should be related to the locked files.

You are free to accept your friend's suggestion about the cause of your problem.  However, if you are going to ask for help from other people, you should be willing to listen to them as well.  Describe your problem without assuming that you know the cause of the problem.

Bill

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2012, 04:32:23 pm »

I tried to explain you what I thought could be a problem and describing all my steps.
I don't assume that I know the problem and then I ask for support.
The request I did to my american friend was previous to relate it to the forum.
Please take into account that I assume I am ignorant on computers and, some times I don't know what you are asking for.
Please indulge me and keep trying to help.

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2012, 04:41:25 pm »

Scolex:
I am sorry to make you loose time.
Do you have any ideas of what may be the problem?
Please have in mind that when I discovered the lockers, there was just FLAC files on my Folders. The different ones you saw today were the result of the conversion of FLAC in Monks. As you have seen, the Monks ones had no lockers.
Please let me know your conclusions.
Thanks again,

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2012, 04:43:34 pm »

I was about to show you how to fix your problem with TeamViewer and my chat room but you disappeared from chat and I can no longer connect to you with TeamViewer.
Sean

MrC

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2012, 04:45:08 pm »

I think we're both trying to get Urbanito going.  I'll defer to your lead.  Maybe we can take this out of the forum until resolution.  PM or chat?

MrC

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2012, 04:46:40 pm »

Maybe we should take this duplicated thread/effort offline to private message until there's more resolution.  Minimally, I suggest we use one thread.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2012, 04:54:44 pm »

I think we're both trying to get Urbanito going.  I'll defer to your lead.  Maybe we can take this out of the forum until resolution.  PM or chat?

I was helping him with a remote session and my chat room when he disappeared. ?
Was probably only a few minutes from having it solved. ?
Sean

MrC

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2012, 04:57:55 pm »

All your base are belong to us.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2012, 05:10:41 pm »

Urbanito check this:
Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change advanced sharing settings (in left side bar) > Media streaming (choose media streaming options) make sure all listed say "allowed" in the drop down if "blocked" switch to "allowed" click "customize" and ensure "Use default settings" is checked
customize is only visible when selected.

PS: my last post until I hear from you here or otherwise.
Sean

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2012, 03:14:06 am »

Thank you very much.
The time difference between our countries caused that I couldn't answer you sooner. Previous to this answer I had to do what You asked me to do.
Everything that is listed is allowed.
Please keep assisting me, since you are so kind all this time.
Kind regards

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2012, 03:31:39 am »

Hi MrC:
Please have Scolex's opinion since he is the one that is assisting me the most and already entered my computer, even if my contribution during the process was very bad, either due to lack of knowledge and typing speed.

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2012, 03:37:13 am »

Scolex:
I don't know why I disappeared.
I agree that we should have just one thread.
Can you select which one?
I already answered you on the other thread.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2012, 07:38:07 am »

I merged the two threads.

It has probably been said above, but the locked folders are a permissions issue.  Perhaps you ripped as a different user.

Use Microsoft or Google for a solution.

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2012, 07:58:45 am »

Hi Jim:
Thank you very much.
I didn't rip as a different user, since i am the only user. All the permissions are open(?) for everybody.
However I am going to google to see if I can get help.
I already asked Microsoft forum about but, so far, I had no repply.
I am now more interested on understanding the issue than anything else, since I have my musics available for playing, that is my main interest.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2012, 08:16:01 am »

If you can convert, you read the files, so you could use MC's Library Tool called "Move, Copy, Rename" to move the files to C:\Music, for example.  Check the "Directory" box and MC can copy to folders by artist and album.  Try a few before you do very many.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2012, 10:53:47 am »

I altered my computer to have a lock icon and this removed it for me if this does not work for you then another application is effecting permissions.
Music folder right click
properties
security
advanced
change permissions
check "Include inheritable permissions from this objects parent"
check "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object"
OK

translation "no way of me knowing accuracy"
Alterei o meu computador para ter um ícone de fechadura e isto retirou-o para mim se isto não trabalha para você então outra aplicação está efetuando permissões.
Clique de direito de pasta de música
propriedades
segurança
avançado
permissões de modificação
verifique "Incluem permissões herdáveis disto objeta o pai"
verifique "Substituem todas as permissões de objeto de crianças com permissões herdáveis deste objeto"
OK
Sean

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2012, 11:19:06 am »

Thank you very much Jim:
Something I noticed today may brig new light to this issue.
Some days ago I backed up all my folders to an external hard drive, using the old method of Drag and Drop, the music folders on my laptop in one folder named Backup 1, followed by date.
It was quite fast since I have SB3 and the hard drive was also a USB 3.
After that I copied all the files to my PC, where I had installed MC. Everything was OK and fast, and all the albums, including the Artwork were there.
Today I decided to check my PC "my music files" and, surprise: they were all there without any locker.
The permissions are exactly the same as in my Laptop.
So, what may have happen?
Thinking hard on this issue, I remembered that I have installed a network software from Cisco, named Software Magic Pro witch I consider an outstanding toop, since it detects all the computers and printers I have at home and for the ones witch have installed the Network Magic, allows us to see and share files and folders witch we choose to share. I can, from my laptop look, edit and delete files in my PC or the reverse. I even can transfer to my Laptop the files witch are on the PC. I use it for photos but, when I choosed the files to share, I also selected Music and Documents. The Laptop took some time to share the files, but there were any music ones on the PC to share.
Now I would like you examin the possibility of this sharing process may caused the lockers.
I tried to see if I could see the music files on the Netwrk Magic, but they were not available anymore. I deedn' proceed in order to avoid more problems without talking to the Forum.
I hope this may help.

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2012, 11:37:22 am »

Hi Scolex. You are a great and most generous guy. Thank you very, very much.
I just finished to follow your process. I went until "check "Include inheritable permissions from this objects parent".
After that, I couldn't see:
"Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" It is not on the same screen and I don´t know how to access it.
In the meaning time, please read my post and let me know if that helps.
Please note that I have no assumptions, just trying to collect information.

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2012, 11:45:29 am »

STOP PRESS.
Hi Scolex: I just removed my two first lockers using your proposed action going until I could.
When I went back to the file, the locker was vanished.
I tried another one, and the same happened.
Is there a way of doing this faster, since I have several thousand of tracks?
You are really the best and I fill happy.
Many thanks again.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2012, 11:48:58 am »

Follow the procedure on your music folder and it should apply the permissions to all files/subfolders within it.
The whole point is that it resets all explicit permissions to the parent permissions.
Sean

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2012, 11:54:46 am »

Does that do any damage for the future?

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2012, 11:59:08 am »

Does that do any damage for the future?
No it is no different than if you did each file/folder individually.
Sean

MrHaugen

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2012, 12:06:28 pm »

I've not read all of this, but I do think I know what it is. You should take ownership to the folder and all folders and files beneath it. Not just one folder. First of you have to have admin rights though. So, if this computer account of yours does not have that, you're in trouble. But as you have managed to remove some of the lock icons I guess this is no trouble.

This is what I would do:

1. Right Click the parent folder. The top one.
2. Select Properties
3. Select Security
4. Click Advanced
5. Select Owner tab
6. Click Edit
7. Select "Replace owner on sub folders and files"
8. Select your user in the list
9. Click Apply, Ok, Ok, Ok

After this you should have no problem doing what ever you want.

- I may not always believe what I'm saying
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up