INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to use GROUPING tag?  (Read 1623 times)

Mike48

• World Citizen
How to use GROUPING tag?
« on: October 07, 2012, 12:59:48 pm »

Hi All,

I'm looking for ways to group movements of a symphony (say) into a unit, so they can be browsed, selected, and played together. (I do want to keep them as separate tracks, for the occasions when I want to play a movement separately.)

In iTunes, I would make a playlist for each symphony, sonata, concerto, etc. Obviously, this can be done in MC also, but in either program, it is tedious -- both doing it and having to browse playlists and non-playlists.

Is the "grouping" tag in MC meant for this?  I am not at all sure how it is meant to be used, or how it is used by MC by default.

Thanks!

Neco

• World Citizen
Re: How to use GROUPING tag?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 01:13:38 pm »

I don't know much about the terminology, but I assume you mean you have various Albums that have PIECES of a complete symphony/work,  and you want a way to,  on a whim,  queue up those pieces in proper order and play the entire symphony.

I guess grouping would help with that, but there are probably better ways I don't know about.    Depending on how they are named,  you could build a (smart?) list using an Expression that searches the Grouping tag of all your files,  looking for a specific term,  and then have that list sort by Name,  or you could involve other custom data fields as well.

I am an absolute control freak, and logical order kind of thinker,  so  I guess the way I might do it would be to use either the Grouping field +  a custom field, or just use two custom fields..

Grouping could hold the name of the Symphony,  and then a custom field could hold the  movement order (like a track order).

You could do the same with 2 custom fields (for clarity) by naming them  "Symphony" and  "Movement",  basically  emulating the  Album Name / Track #   fields.     Then you could build a custom list of the files on the fly, or  even create a brand new View, with a field sorting order of  Symphony, Movement

So then your Symphonies would be listed Alphabetically,  and the grouped tracks that belong to them would be sorted by their movement number.

Being a View, you can then just browse through your view to the Symphony you want to hear, make sure only the Movements in that symphony are highlighted and create a playlist,  or just hit Play even.

I'm sure someone will come by with a MUCH simpler ways for you to do what you want, though   I'm a newbie  so I arrive at long/convuloted ways of doing things  :-[

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: How to use GROUPING tag?
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 01:15:52 pm »

See the Grouping tag, and the link referenced in the notes area here.

See also Vincent Kar's excellent overview of Classical music organization:

http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Players/JRiver/Classical.htm
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up