INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Have Theater View show up on Android?  (Read 1997 times)

jgclark1

Have Theater View show up on Android?
« on: February 13, 2012, 07:51:51 pm »

Does anyone know if it's possible to have the actual Theater View show up on your android device? 

The reason I ask is that I currently have MC17 on an HP mini that is hooked up to my stereo system for the sole purpose of being a music server.  I currently use Gizmo to control it via a Samsung tab.  Ideally though, I would love a way to have JRiver's theater view on my tab, instead of just on the HP mini.

Thoughts?

imugli

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Have Theater View show up on Android?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 12:14:30 am »

Try Splashtop. On sale ATM for AU$5. Basically a remote desktop...

MrHaugen

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 10:40:00 am »

But does it really work on Android? Is there so little latency in response that it's a pleasure to use?
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

jgclark1

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 01:12:16 pm »

Unfortunately, latency is a big problem with splashtop.  While it works, it's frustratingly slow and quite annoying to use.  The attempt was worth the 5 bucks though - thanks for the suggestion.  Perhaps I'm stuck with Gizmo... (not that it isn't a good program, just that Theater mode is WAY cooler and could, in effect, give you portable Sooloos-like awesomeness)

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 02:11:07 pm »

I saw a special version of Splashtop recently that what almost 0 latency. I do not know what platform it was on, and I do not know exactly what was tested. But it was some kind of game. IF that could work with MC and Android/Win tabliet, we would have a real alternative.

jgclark1

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 09:33:52 am »

interesting - will see what I can find and let you all know.

Ekpen

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 02:27:10 am »

+1
The theatre view will really look good on the Galaxy note.

Also I can not wait to see how the theatre view will look on a Mitsubishi 92840 screen.

George

MrHaugen

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 02:53:21 am »

The article I saw was about the Asus Transformer Prime. More specifically the Tegra 3 CPU, which is required for faster processing and less latency. It's supposed to give a really good response compared to other remote solutions. I do not know how well it handles touch. Would be GREAT is someone could test it on a Transformer Prime. I want to purchase one of those, but I'm waiting until the remake is released. The current one has some problems with Wifi and GPS.

MrHaugen

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 11:44:25 am »

I tried Splashtop on an iPad today. It was a horrible experience. The latency was totally unacceptable. The mouse movements was actually pretty responsive, but as you never new where you actually was on the pad, it was of little use. Another big downside is that this application only stream 1024*768 resolution as maximum. Not even normal 720P (1280*720) was available. You had to clone your display, putting both monitor in this horrible resolution. And at the same time, there was bad latency in video. Not a chance that I'll ever use it on a iPad.

On android devices with Tegra3 and better however, this might solve the problem with latency. And if that is the case, some might find the use of this. It's just a darn shame that there is no possibility of porting the full HD resolutions to another compressed format for the Pads. At least not as I've seen.

So, for now it seems my only option for a Theater View touch flipping experience on a pad is clocked down to one type of hardware. Intel CPU's. So, I'll purchase one of those if the Transformer Prime is ever redone and shipped with Intel CPU's.
Pages: [1]   Go Up