INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater View Views on new installs - backup/restore  (Read 1764 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
Theater View Views on new installs - backup/restore
« on: February 13, 2012, 05:16:39 pm »

Will jriver 17 have the ability to save our theaterview views in our backups? I just upgraded to 17 from 16 and all my theaterview rules/views are gone. i've tried changing the playing now location under gadgets(why its under gadgets is beyond me) to move it above audio... so that when one goes to theaterview it is available next to images, audio and video.

This will personally take me hours to get all my theaterviews back. due to the extreme customizing i've done.

I would like to know if this is being worked on, if this will be implemented anytime soon, or if this is not a big priority?

Thank You.

HTPC4ME

Re: Theater View Views on new installs - backup/restore
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 05:36:56 pm »

i just realized something else... being i have 2 more libraries, those views are gone too!? and have to all be manually re-entered?

HTPC4ME

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 06:23:40 pm »

There's been plenty of people viewing this so far.. and not a single person has piped up.
Now how others haven't thought of this as a major setback in excitement for a new version is beyond me!
Why this is a concern for me...
See images below of my customized theater view for 1 library on 1 pc

For my library you will notice nothing is set at your defaults (jriver 16 theaterview screenshots).
Everyone of my theaterview rules has got specific rules made for them. (different names, different sorting, different groups, etc..) Why would i want genre? when i cannot use genre in jriver? why would i want artist, when i cannot use artist in jriver?
so therefor one must make artist/s, one must make trailers, one must make Keywords(see pics for rest of lists)
My TV show view has many specific rules, my sorting, names, rules, groupings are all gone.

Is there no registry tweak i can do? a file i can copy...Something?

And above all.. what happens when my system crashes? just redo my theaterviews for 3 days straight for 3 library servers, with a total of 5 different libraries? 8 theaterviews i would have to manually enter in?

I've not even began to dive into this. for i don't know how to start it.. I'll have to grab a laptop i'm thinking and set it next to my main pc.. and open settings, theaterview and click from one pc to the next so i can see what my settings are, then manually input them onto new pc's!?

I'm beyond Scratching my head here...

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 06:25:39 pm »

Will jriver 17 have the ability to save our theaterview views in our backups?

Yes, but the format/structure changed in version 17, so the version 16 views cannot be carried forward. They have to be configured from scratch. It helps somewhat to run both versions and display a version 16 configuration dialog while entering the same one in version 17. If your views are no more complex than mine, it will only cost you a day or so. :P

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 06:26:19 pm »

Views require setting up again in this change.  I'm sorry but it was unavoidable.

Open MC16 and MC17 at the same time so you can copy and paste.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 06:40:37 pm »

Maybe views could be exported as XML so that a converter can be written, and then re-imported in the new format?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 06:44:57 pm »

Thanks guys for replies...
Yes, but the format/structure changed in version 17, so the version 16 views cannot be carried forward. They have to be configured from scratch.
i did ask will... has this been implemented yet? If so i may have a bug!
If not... eta? I just bought a workstation, and server.. and will be moving forward on 17 on all machines... and if it's in the works soon, in all honesty i'll stick with 16 to save myself this extra work, then dive into 17 once views save. Better to just have to do one pc, and not all manually.

For users like myself... Guys this would be a HUGE time saver!

In case it is suppose to work in 17...steps i took..

installed 17 on old machine with 16 on it
it copied all settings BUT the theaterviews.
then i went into Newest version of 17 (which already 16's settings), theaterview settings and moved playing now out of gadgets, next to audio, then saved and closed. then went to theaterview in 17 and changes were there.

then i backup'd 17 to desktop, then i took 17 backup file to new workstation and restored it.. but the theaterview playing now change was not there.

both versions are 85

HTPC4ME

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 06:58:55 pm »

Will jriver 17 have the ability to save our theaterview views in our backups?
wasnt being rude rick, sorry i forgot to post this in there as well. after editing it for my details on what steps i took, it kind of sounded snotty. Not meant to be the case.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 11:07:31 am »

Developers. could you please fill me in on info below:

i'm not getting replies, and my post is getting buried.

do both of these statements mean that saving theaterviews in 17 are now working? Meaning one can set up the theaterviews, do a backup and then use that backup for other machines (without having to re enter info)

if so.. ive ran tests mentioned in reply 6. and it doesnt seem to be working for me.
I'm not trying to be being a pain, i'm just trying to troubleshoot this, to save myself a lot of time entering this on multiple machines.
Thank you!

Views require setting up again in this change.  I'm sorry but it was unavoidable.

Yes, but the format/structure changed in version 17, so the version 16 views cannot be carried forward. They have to be configured from scratch.

One more thing i just thought of... my new systems are 64 bit, could this be the issue?

MrHaugen

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 01:38:32 pm »

I think the question here is: Are the Views stored in the backup of MC17? I'm not sure of this my self, as I've got so little changes from default.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

rick.ca

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 03:32:12 pm »

I think the question here is: Are the Views stored in the backup of MC17?

Yes, they are. The question is, is there some problem with restoring them to a different machine? I don't know why there should be.

if so.. ive ran tests mentioned in reply 6. and it doesnt seem to be working for me.

Since no one has said that doesn't work, maybe you should try it again—making more substantial modifications, being absolutely sure you're restoring the correct library backup, and ensuring the option to restore all settings is selected.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 06:37:04 pm »

We Got it, We Got It, We Got It!!!
I feel like an idiot. LOL what i think i had done wrong was i chose not to restore library and playlists... ONLY settings. i didn't want the library installed due to starting from scratch (all hdd's/media will be on a server.) so i thought that settings would suffice for theaterview to stick.

Thanks Guys!
Pages: [1]   Go Up