INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Netflix Problem  (Read 2379 times)

bwanagreg

• Recent member
Netflix Problem
« on: February 08, 2012, 12:24:48 pm »

If I select a Netflix program in Theater View that has multiple episodes (from any of the folders - Instant Queue, Comedies, ... whatever) all I get is the program wallpaper - the buttons (Play etc) and the list of episodes are missing. I have to hit escape and exit theater view since the "Back" button is also missing.

If I select a movie or other program without episodes everything works fine.

This also happened once last week, then it spontaneously corrected itself.  Any idea what I can do to fix this? I've tried rebooting and disconnecting and reconnecting my Netflix account.

I updated to 17.0.83 yesterday, but as I said this happened prior to the latest update as well.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Netflix Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 01:38:47 pm »

I've reported the same problem in the .82 thread...the 17.0.68 build seems to pull up the series correctly for me, for now you could just back up a few versions.

It would be great if these Multi-Episode shows appeared in the "TV Show" category when browsing, right now that menu is populated only with single episode shows like Mystery Science Theater.

Many thanks to the developers for their work in reverse-engineering the Netflix interface for Theater View, I use it all the time!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 01:48:34 pm »

We're aware of the problem and should have a fix in the next build.

bwanagreg

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 03:43:30 pm »

Thanks!

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 03:43:34 pm »

Hi JRiver,

I'm still having Netflix woes with today's build no. 85. The account authorization page is not pulling up correctly from the options menu, just an error message. Screenshot attached, let me know if I can provide more information.

Thank you for your time.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 03:46:24 pm »

Are you in the U.S.?

Try re-entering your login and pw in  MC.

What happens if you log in with your browser?

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 03:52:24 pm »

Yes, I am in the US.

Each time I login from the options menu the error 500 pops up, also from Theater View. I've tried an uninstall and reinstall of MC 17 but the problem didn't go away.

Netflix login works within Chrome and IE 9 on my machine.

JohnT

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 03:56:25 pm »

Netflix must have changed (broken) something in their authorization web-service call.  I can reproduce the problem here and installing an old build didn't fix it.  I'm going to do some more digging.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

JohnT

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 08:02:03 am »

This is still not working.  I've posted on the Netflix developers forum and about eight other developers have also posted over the past 24 hours.  Hopefully we'll see a fix soon.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 12:15:34 pm »

Quickster strikes again?   >:(

Thanks again for your efforts and time, and good luck!

JohnT

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 02:18:08 pm »

I did finally receive an email from Netflix API support which stated that they were aware of the problem and a fix was due sometime today.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 01:29:01 pm »

Thanks for the recent work to fix both series view within MC and address the login problem from Netflix...both now work from my system in Theater View.

This is just an enthusiastic MC user's spectator's report, so fwiw, disclaimer, take the vowels out of my post, etc... ;)

I suspect Netflix Streaming is considered a reluctant guest in the House of JRiver.

I've browsed the Netflix development forums and I can see why. From what I see, there is no full API, playback requires proprietary player, and limited if any development support. Plus, they flat out break things by changing the interface that is available. Netflix recently caused a login break; it came back online quickly, but in the future, who knows! Microsoft got inside access for the WMC interface, but they're Microsoft and tend to get inside access. No other software player that I know of can offer anything other than a link to the player and/or information scraped off from the main website. All other non-web players are hardware-only: Roku, Apple TV, PS3, etc. Copyright paranoia on behalf of Netflix has to be the main factor at play here.

Bravo to the developers for the work so far in building the current solution.

If possible, I'd love to see the following improvements:

1. Netflix behaves differently depending on whether IE 9 or Chromium is selected in MC Options. IE 9 works best, but often forgets the password login when you close and re-open MC. Chromium remembers the login info, but doesn't default to full screen or have remote controls that work.

2. Some genre categories are stuffed with older titles, it would be nice to have more current offerings.

3. The TV Series category only lists single episode shows. Most of the better TV titles on Netflix are multi-episode.

Personally, I'm very thankful for the work so far developing this feature, I use the Theater View Netflix menus all the time. Recent integration of background images has been especially nice. It would be great to see continued improvements...if they are possible!

JohnT

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 12:12:14 pm »

Thanks for the words of encouragement.  I'll take a look at those issues you've raised.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 12:15:58 pm »

Hi John,

Any ideas regarding Netflix in the UK?
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67360.0

JohnT

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 09:25:14 am »

Looks like they use a chain of redirects so that netflix.com ends up where they want it depending on origin country.  I'll do some more poking around with a proxy to see what the problem would be.
Pages: [1]   Go Up