INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Changes In MC Will Be Needed To Fully Utilize REW?  (Read 1453 times)

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
What Changes In MC Will Be Needed To Fully Utilize REW?
« on: February 16, 2012, 12:17:10 pm »

In another thread  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=70087.0 about adding a Line Input to MC there is some discussion about utilizing REW with MC. I had previously thought that having a Line Input would allow the full utilization of REW; testing with sweeps, waterfalls, impulse, etc.

Others have asked for a way of using MC as a "Virtual Soundcard" to allow inputting signals from other software. Is this what is really needed for REW to fully function with MC?

I'm having some difficulty getting my head around the needed interaction and interconnection of components and software. In my case our main soundcard is an Asus Essence ST with H6 Daughter Card. We are taking the 5.1 analog outputs straight to our power amps. This card has a line in and Mic in although I have never used either.

For REW I have been using the Mic input on an EMU 0404USB DAC but only with pink noise files played from MC.

There seem to be several people on the Forum that would like the full integration of REW & MC. It might be helpful to all to have some discussion of this.

Thanks,
Rod

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: What Changes In MC Will Be Needed To Fully Utilize REW?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 12:34:29 pm »

I've been thinking about this issue and we might be going at it from the wrong end. The Dayton OmniMic system uses a disc with tones for playback through any system and still provides impulse response, phase, etc. If used with JRiver, the Omnimic system would allow for the measurement info we are after. I think we should actually ask John with REW if he can add test tones and sweeps to the Generator that can be used in similar fashion to OmniMic.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 12:43:12 pm »

I started a new thread at HomeTheaterShack.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 12:58:58 pm »

Thanks mojave - let's hope that John will get interested in working something out for us.

Rod

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 01:33:34 pm »

JohnM replied:

It is on the list of things to do, but I'm not sure when I'll get to it, sorry.

I then "volunteered" Matt's help  :):

Is there a way JRiver could incorporate a sweep generator into their program that works with REW? This would allow those that use the Parametric EQ or JRiver's new convolution engine (with auto lip sync) to measure the results with REW. I'm sure the developers would work with you and this would alleviate you from implementing something in REW.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 03:17:33 pm »

Thanks very much mojave for pursuing this. I've been following your HTS thread and you are taking a good approach. I do hope that John will be agreeable to your latest idea. And I'm sure that Matt appreciates being volunteered!

Rod
Pages: [1]   Go Up