INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Automatic/adjusted "Volume leveling" for video?  (Read 2426 times)

Tommy

• Junior Woodchuck
Automatic/adjusted "Volume leveling" for video?
« on: February 18, 2012, 03:40:47 pm »

Hi guys,

been a while since posting now since I've been perfectly happy with the software (well, a few small things here and there on my wish list but nothing major), 8 years and going strong!

With an upcoming birthday party I'm planning to play some music and music videos on the stereo and connected LED TV. The volume leveling feature works WONDERS in keeping a sane volume of all music despite being recorded at different levels, my neighbors probably appreciate that as well. However, "Volume leveling" only works for audio which means when I embed music videos in my playlist, the volume level for those videos usually ends up way too low or high requiring continuous volume adjustments.

Is there any chance that "Volume leveling" (and associated "Audio analysis") will cover videos as well?

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Automatic/adjusted "Volume leveling" for video?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 08:05:45 am »

Does the "Normalize Volume" under Tools>Options>Video do anything for you?

Tommy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 12:09:54 pm »

Does the "Normalize Volume" under Tools>Options>Video do anything for you?
Yes, it helps a bit. Just like the explanation though, it increases the sound of quiet videos. It does however do this on the fly, i.e. start at +6db and lowering it if necessary as you play the video. It is unfortunately not able to keep the volume level constant with the music as there is no pre-analysis and adjustment accordingly. Would be nice to be able to analyze video sound to get the volume leveling perfect.

Tommy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 08:56:34 am »

Any developer comments on this issue?

I got a feeling it's because of some codec problems with the different video formats and hence hard to analyze the audio, but if it's not it would be a helpful feature to "Analyze audio" of movies/videos as well.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 09:13:57 am »

Analyzing audio of videos would be neat.  I'd like peak level to be stored per channel.

This is a big change, so unlikely to happen for v17.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Tommy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 01:51:34 pm »

Analyzing audio of videos would be neat.  I'd like peak level to be stored per channel.

Thanks for the reply Matt!

Sure would be neat! Looking forward to the implementation and next version of MC!

Gotta say that MC17 progress is just amazing! With convolution and other options added, which I didn't really consider before, I've gone ahead and ordered the EMM-6 mic with the ARTUsb pre-amp. Looking forward to play with it!

TheLion

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 02:45:11 pm »

Matt,

ever since I changed to using "internal volume" I was thinking about this very feature. Analyzing my Blu-Ray collection (bdmv's) and setting the optimal gain would be a huge feature. Especially with convolution in the chain it gets rather complicated.

Maximizing the digital level of any given video file without potential clipping would mean best possible gain structure and therefor audio quality.

Thank you for your consideration! 
Pages: [1]   Go Up