INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Naming problems  (Read 1004 times)

The Mastermind

• World Citizen
Naming problems
« on: August 14, 2012, 06:52:18 am »

I am dealing with two different issues at the moment with my library.

1. I have been ripping some vinyl to FLAC and when I do so I have a careful naming convention that I follow:

folder = [artist] - [album]
file=  [Track#] [Name ([Year])

But when I use the fill properties from file name function, the results are jumbled and don't match the original file names. Three or four songs will have the exact same name, some of the artist properties are wrong and the track numbers are not filled out. If I then try to rename one of the incorrect files using the function again MC treats the files as if they are correct and won't fix the errors. This happens even though there is a mismatch between the properties and the file name.

2. MC has gone and renamed the albums on a large number of my files where the song title and artist are the same on both files. Thus for example, if I have 'London Calling' by The Clash on the album of that title and on the best of, the album and track number have both been changed on one album to become identical to the other. Thus the best of has two entries for London Calling. I only noticed because the album art remained for the correct album.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Naming problems
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 07:05:20 am »

It's not likely that these are problems with MC.  What is the version you're using?

If you're trying to pick up the name of the directory and use that as the tag for artist or album, make sure you have directory checked when you use "Move, copy, rename".

And I believe that this:
file=  [Track#] [Name ([Year])
should be this:
file=  [Track#] / [Name ([Year])

Try a few files and test until you're sure you understand what the tool does.

The Mastermind

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 07:28:58 am »

I've been using the tool for years without these problems. And even if there were an error with my formula, why would MC take the song name from a totally different file, such as the one before or after it in the list?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 09:16:38 am »

What version are you using?
Pages: [1]   Go Up