INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater View lags  (Read 1274 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
Theater View lags
« on: February 19, 2012, 11:51:42 pm »

Is anybody else seeing major lags when trying to navigate around Theater view? I click on the "Right" button to move through a list or change a view and sometimes have to wait 5-10 seconds for MC to become responsive again.

My Windows Home Server recently died and I had to move all my media to external USB disks connected to my HTPC, so my problems may well be that the PC can't keep up with being a library server, running auto-import, and being a full media player at the same time. I'm running Vista Home Premium on a 4 year old VAIO TP1 with nothing else running besides MC.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Theater View lags
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 10:55:52 am »

You've reported a few performance related issues, and I can't explain them.

Switching views in Theater View should be fast.

Is it possible a drive is spinning up?  Is it only certain views?  Any other clues?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 03:46:05 am »

It may very well be drives spinning up. I have all my media and my library files on external usb drives. I guess I need to find a way to stop the enclosures from sending the drives to sleep. I will also try moving the library files to the local disk and seeing if that alone is enough to fix the problem.

Thanks for replying Matt.

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 04:32:05 am »

I've seen such problems my self, and it's not because of drives spinning up. I've set my disks to never spin down, and they never do.

I get this small freezes in Theater View. It's mostly when I navigate to other views, but it have also happened a few times while navigating thumbnails. The whole MC is locked in this period of a few seconds, and I think that doing things like button presses or mouse clicking can make MC go gray in "unresponsive" mode. If you wait patiently a few seconds it all kickstarts again and the remaining button presses is registered, making lots of jumps through views or thumbnails. This is on a fairly fast and new ASrock HTPC, so I do not think it's the machines fault. It should not be the drawing of the new views as this is normally very fast. The HTPC is on a wired LAN, so it should not be the connection either. It happens perhaps every other day, and I've just coped with it for now. It's not a good feeling, but it don't hurt my user experience noticeably either.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

struct

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Re: Theater View lags
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 05:10:05 am »

I get exactly what Mr happen gets.  also i have learnt to live with it. 
though i also get fairly frequent crashes when in theatreview (mostly when exiting theatre view while a movie is playing) and have assumed that the hickup and crashes have something to do mc and my at graphics card not playing nicely.  pure conjecture.
Craig

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 05:38:36 am »

i also get fairly frequent crashes when in theatreview (mostly when exiting theatre view while a movie is playing)

Assuming you are using ROHQ? This sounds more to do with the known madvr/theater view issues currently being worked on.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 10:28:46 am »

I cloned my library to my system drive. I am still seeing some occasional lags (when they happen it is several seconds before MC becomes responsive again), but this may be due to MC doing all the new thumbnailing for the new library. I will report back again after another weekend of use.

vairulez

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 10:33:53 am »

I also have these lags but only since the last builds, everything was fine with .82
HTPC : Dell workstation, windows 10, GT 1030, Lynx Two B
zone 1 : 2 Chevin Research Q6 + DIY speakers
zone 2 : Lake People G93 + HD650
zone 3 : 2 yamaha HS80M

CountryBumkin

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 11:09:48 am »

I see lag too. All the time. I figured it was normal for a large database. I have not seen any lag in Theater View - probably because I scoll more slowly reading movies titles and such. But when I am in Standard View doing file maintenance, I will get a lag, like when I try to scoll through sveral hundred files with the mouse wheel, or if I'm making mulitple changes (like adding a rating to each movie) I'll get twenty movies "rated" then the system freezes for a second or two, then continues. I'm use to it, and wouldn't complain about it (it's not a big issue to me).
Except this post was made .........
Pages: [1]   Go Up