INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copy tag from AAC to WAV  (Read 1904 times)

eharry

• Recent member
Copy tag from AAC to WAV
« on: March 25, 2012, 05:55:47 am »

Hi,

I have a collection of about 1000 CDs ripped to iTunes in both formats AAC and WAV because there is no possibility to store metadata to WAV in iTunes.
Since I want to move my entire collection from iTunes to JRiver I'm looking for a way to copy the metadata (including cover art) from AAC to WAV in JRiver.
Is this possible?

Thanks for your help!!!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Copy tag from AAC to WAV
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 06:48:17 am »

I don't know a way, but there are a couple of MC tools that might help.

Stacks (see the wiki) can pair up files automatically.

The Library Tool called "Fill Properties from Filename".

MC can also upload your cover art to our database.  This may work to get it from the AAC file to the database.  Then you could get the cover art for the wav files.

Good luck.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 01:33:17 pm »

There are a couple of threads in the forums here that describe how to apply the metadata from one set of files to another version.  It involves essentially using the valid metadata from one format, swapping out the files with the other format, and then doing some housekeeping inside MC to refer to the new files and then writing out the tags.  I found a couple of the threads, but you'll have to search for the others if these don't help.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=58806.0
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=46087.0

You'll want to import only the files with the tags, so that you can obtain the metadata.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

MrC

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 01:48:32 pm »

Ah, here's the Wiki article the describes the same idea:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Re-rip_existing_music_and_keep_tags_and_statistics

For steps 3 and 4, since you're no re-ripping, replace the idea with removing from the database your WAV files.  (It would be easier to just create a brand new library, only importing the AAC files).

eharry

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 05:00:42 pm »

Thanks a lot for your help!
I tried to use stacks, but I didn't get it. Next I will try the approach of MrC.

By the way, is it possible to create a new empty library with different locations of the audio files? Every time I change the directory
in the new lib the changes are made in my main lib too.

Thanks!!!

MrC

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 05:04:33 pm »

MC can detect when file paths change for files it manages.  It does this via an auto-import setting called "Fix broken links".    If you don't want certain folder trees auto-imported (and hence path-corrected when the setting is enabled), disable them in Tools > Import... > Configure Auto-Import.

eharry

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 06:00:40 am »

Hi MrC,

I tried this, but it doesn't work.
I unchecked the "fix broken links" checkbox and changed the path to audio on library 1 (audio on local machine). Then I connected to library 2 (files on a nas drive).
Library 2 has now the path to library 1 audio! When I change it here and go back to lib 1 I have here the altered path (lib 2 audio).

So the problem I see is that I can only add a new library with the same paths to content. On the other hand you can read in JRiver Wiki that it is suggested to use 2 libraries
if you want one on you laptop with mp3 and another one at home with lossless content.
Should be possible to do that. What do I see wrong??? 

Thanks

MrC

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 11:48:02 am »

I think you're trying to solve two different issues at the same time:

1. solving how to copy your tags from AAC to WAV
  2. solving how to have two libraries, one with lossless and one with lossy

I think your original question was about how to perform (1).

A MC "library" is an internal database that supports fast access, searching and organization for your files on disk.  It also maintains many settings/options.

Your goal for (1) is to simply create a new library, importing only the AAC files (so that you can safely and easily swap out the files from under MC and have it apply its internal database tags to the WAV files).  You control what is imported by specifying the file types for import under the Folders, Edit > Audio section of Tools > Import... > Configure Auto-Import.  Remove all folders that are not relevant to your AAC files; Edit the folder options that remain for your AAC files, selecting only type Audio and checking file type AAC.  Disabling the others will prevent MC from importing other file types.

Once that's done, you can work the steps from the instructions provided in the links.

After you've accomplished this, then you can focus on (2), and for that a single Library is quite sufficient (and almost always the better solution).

eharry

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 10:03:00 am »

You'r right. 2 different problems.
But I have managed to solve problem number 1. Not an easy task, but it seems to work:

1. Converted the aac files (with correct tags) to flac and let MC update the database.
2. Converted the wav (without tags) to flac.
3. Set MC to not auto import and replaced the complete order structure (converted aac-flac with wav-flac)
4. Because the new flac have no tags I told MC to update tags from library

It works because the order structure and the filenames are identical

Greetings

MrC

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 12:08:49 pm »

This is most excellent news!
Pages: [1]   Go Up