INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Syncing to Galaxy S2  (Read 22907 times)

struct

• Galactic Citizen
Syncing to Galaxy S2
« on: February 21, 2012, 08:05:56 pm »

Last night I plugged in my Galaxy S2 phone, selected it as a device and told it what smartlists to sync to the device and it happily went and synced all of my music to the device.

This morning I decided I didn't want a particular artist and removed them from my smartlist.  I have the option to automatically delete files from the device that aren't in the playlist, so I thought that I would plug it in this morning and update the device.

To my surpise it started adding files to the phone again.  I cancelled the sync.

If I look on the device now, the files I expected are there, but there is also a set of xxxx.mp3.dup0 files.  What are these?  Is there a bug in the syncing code?

Thanks
Craig

PS If this is a bug and you are in the code, I noticed on my wife's phone that I had filled up the disk with just a few MB left.  I went to update a sync where I had added a few files and deleted some fom the smartlist.  It seems to try to add files first, say there is not enough space but not do the deletion.  I would have thought the deletion should happen first.

bwaldron

• World Citizen
Re: Syncing to Galaxy S2
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 05:39:38 pm »

I have also started encountering sync issues (including non-deletion of files that are no longer in the sync list) in the most recent Media Center build: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=70287.0

Maybe related, maybe not.

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 02:14:30 pm »

ok, things have now got worse.  I synced the handheld last weekend, pretty much filled up the card on the S2.  This weekend I plugged it in as I had made a few modifications to the smartlist it is sent to sync with.  MC proceeded to remove all files from the card (in the music directory I had set) and reload all of the files.  I had to stop the sync halfway through and went to finish it off this morning, only to find that it is again deleting all of the files and adding them again.

Is there a rule that you shouldn't sync smartlists?  What else could be going on?  Only think I can think of is that volume leveling may be going on in the background and hence some portion of the file has changed.  But this shouldn't account for all of my files as they are a random assortment from 90k songs and volume leveling has only done 4k.

What am I doing wrong?

THanks
Craig

bwaldron

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 08:48:26 am »

With my Sansa Clip, I'm seeing similar symptoms as yours with every build after 82 if its USB mode is set to MTP. I found that if I reformat the device, the first sync works properly. For any sync beyond that, the playlists on the device start showing up as blank, files are not properly deleted from the device and/or are reloaded when there's no need...just unworkable.

I was able to change the Clip to use MSC mode where it is simply treated as a disk drive; that works OK (save for a problem with this specific Clip model -- on the device itself, it treats M3U playlists without #EXTM3U at the top as empty).

I'm also syncing smartlists, BTW. I have determined that this happens with each build I have installed after 82. That build and all prior versions sync properly in MTP mode, going back well before Media Center 17. Each build beyond that is broken for me, even though there's nothing I can see in the release notes that is sync-related.

ok, things have now got worse.  I synced the handheld last weekend, pretty much filled up the card on the S2.  This weekend I plugged it in as I had made a few modifications to the smartlist it is sent to sync with.  MC proceeded to remove all files from the card (in the music directory I had set) and reload all of the files.  I had to stop the sync halfway through and went to finish it off this morning, only to find that it is again deleting all of the files and adding them again.

Is there a rule that you shouldn't sync smartlists?  What else could be going on?  Only think I can think of is that volume leveling may be going on in the background and hence some portion of the file has changed.  But this shouldn't account for all of my files as they are a random assortment from 90k songs and volume leveling has only done 4k.

What am I doing wrong?

THanks
Craig

Ghettorat

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 05:12:51 pm »

I have issues too. Galaxy S2 on ICS, tried lots of different samsung uisb drivers, removed kies/reinstalled kies etc etc. I am using smartlist and it converts files etc fine, but it can't upload to the phone. Each song stops with error message. No files ever pop up on the phones memory card.
Right now I am using foobar to convert and transferring files manually since this sync bug :/

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 10:50:06 am »

With my Sansa Clip, I'm seeing similar symptoms as yours with every build after 82 if its USB mode is set to MTP. I found that if I reformat the device, the first sync works properly. For any sync beyond that, the playlists on the device start showing up as blank, files are not properly deleted from the device and/or are reloaded when there's no need...just unworkable.

I was able to change the Clip to use MSC mode where it is simply treated as a disk drive; that works OK (save for a problem with this specific Clip model -- on the device itself, it treats M3U playlists without #EXTM3U at the top as empty).

I'm also syncing smartlists, BTW. I have determined that this happens with each build I have installed after 82. That build and all prior versions sync properly in MTP mode, going back well before Media Center 17. Each build beyond that is broken for me, even though there's nothing I can see in the release notes that is sync-related.

I have had the same issues on my Clip+ and Clip Zip (recently) since MC14 (even in MSC mode). I bring it up periodically but it never seems high on anyone's to-do list. I've just trained myself to do a full format before every sync because, otherwise I get major problems such as duplicate songs, deleting "duplicate" songs that aren't actually duplicates (leading to no music file loaded), improper free file space reporting (it'll say I'm over capacity even with no songs on the player), songs appearing in MC after I attach the device that aren't on the player, etc. etc.

Long story short, it's been broken for a long time. The JRiver team is usually really good at fixing issues but it seems that the handheld code has been set in stone for a while and they don't want to modify it.

bwaldron

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 04:00:32 pm »

I guess I've just been lucky; I've been using Clip/Clip+ in MTP mode for years with JRiver without any problems until recently. I can still go back to 17.0.82 and the Clip syncs perfectly -- but there are other improvements in later builds that are important to me.

Yes, if I format the Clip each time, I can use MTP mode and all is well...but any sync after the first breaks things on the device. I'm also lucky in that MSC mode works for me with no problems save one: the M3U playlists are written to the device without the #EXTM3U line at the top, which causes the Clip to see the playlist as empty. I wrote a little Python script to add this to all the device playlists after syncing. (The Clip+ doesn't have this problem with the playlists, only the original Clip). It's a PITA, but it works.

I don't have a Clip Zip, but from what I read playlists on that device are problematic with recent firmware.

I agree that JRiver is usually responsive, but that device sync isn't a priority for them any longer. C'est la vie.

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 04:06:57 am »

I set a hdd directory to be my "phone" and then used windows to copy over the files.  I was then going to use a third party app to keep the "phone" directory and the phone in sync.  Any recommendations?

craig

jdpitts

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 04:48:10 am »

I have issues too. Galaxy S2 on ICS, tried lots of different samsung uisb drivers, removed kies/reinstalled kies etc etc. I am using smartlist and it converts files etc fine, but it can't upload to the phone. Each song stops with error message. No files ever pop up on the phones memory card.
Right now I am using foobar to convert and transferring files manually since this sync bug :/

I have the same problem, have you fixed it?

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 09:31:31 am »

I get the same behaviour more or less on my Galaxy SIII. it starts syncing fine but after a while songs fail to upload with just an "error" message.

What bothers me even more, is that it fails to recognise songs already in my sdcard and tries to sync everything all over again.

ogurgey

• Recent member
  • The storyteller
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 04:40:17 pm »

The same problem with i9100G on ics.

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 08:52:48 am »

I wonder if the JRiver team monitors this section... a reply would be nice since that bug affects lots of people.

Chronic

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 06:34:58 am »

How about just dragging playlists onto the phone? Does that work ok?

Im getting my S3 tomorrow & want to start using it in a way that makes my ipod redundant, im not bothered about syncing etc, just wanna drag music playlists across to the phone from JRiver

Thanks for any advice ;)

JohnT

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 04:00:07 pm »

Hey guys, I'm trying to repro this here.  I have a Nexus One phone and have created a smartlist with several artists.  I set up the sync with "delete from handheld any files not in sync list" enabled, and "auto-sync" and "resync if date modified" unchecked. I do the sync, then I remove an artist from the smartlist an re-do the sync.  So far it's working ok.  Can you give me steps to repro the problem?  Thanks!
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 04:43:54 am »

Hey guys, I'm trying to repro this here.  I have a Nexus One phone and have created a smartlist with several artists.  I set up the sync with "delete from handheld any files not in sync list" enabled, and "auto-sync" and "resync if date modified" unchecked. I do the sync, then I remove an artist from the smartlist an re-do the sync.  So far it's working ok.  Can you give me steps to repro the problem?  Thanks!

Nexus one only supports MSC if am not mistaken. The Major issue here is how it handles the mtp and how it checks the sync status. I'll try to explain my findings, but first i'll show you how i use my galaxy s3 in mtp mode to sync with jrmc17:

I have a set of smartlists that gather music based on different criteria. I select those to sync to the handheld, converting them to m4a using neroaacenc during the process. I force album art into tags and sound normalization via the dsp options. So far so good.

Now when i try to sync my playlists to the handheld the following problems start occuring:

1) After a while MC will fail to transfer files to the handheld with a simple "error" message on each file

2) If the local filepath of a file includes an underscore, for example (X:\Path to album\Album_\song.mp3), it will fail to upload with an error message, even if it get converted to m4a using the external encoder ok.

3) When the "error" between the file transfers starts, if manually cancel the syncing process and unplug / replug the phone back to usb, MC can write again some files until it starts failing again

4) If the sync stops for any reason or because i had to  manually stop it, in order to deal with the error, MC will fail to recognise any songs transfered to the device and will try to sync everything back again

5) MC should create a database file on the device possibly maintaining a list of files on the device ? That file isn't created although i can specify a folder for it in the handheld options. The only two files the program creates are the "JRState.xml and JRInfo.xml"

I want to note here that if i manually transfer the songs i want, through a simple copy and paste in explorer, everything works out fine, no errors or problems with underscores or anything of that kind. But MC will fail to recognise that there are songs in the handheld and will try to sync everything back again. That's the biggest issue to be honest, especially when dealing with 1700+ songs.

Here's the infodump of the device. I could try to send you a log when the error happens too, if it would be of any help.

Chronic

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 06:36:04 am »

does anyone know if the s3 supports .aiff music files?

you talking about converting files made me realize half my music probly wont play on the phone

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 06:38:18 am »

does anyone know if the s3 supports .aiff music files?

you talking about converting files made me realize half my music probly wont play on the phone

I don't know about aiff files, i don't have any to begin with :P The only reason i convert my flac and mp3s is just because of space :P Syncing about 1840 files in m4a (about 64kbps each) is a lot smaller than syncing them in their original mp3 or flac formats:P And the quality loss is not noticeable most of the time.

Chronic

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 06:54:31 am »

Yeah good point about space, i may have to invest in a spacious sd card as i like having it all in high quality even if i can't hear much difference

In regards to the aiff i looked into it & think i can just download the poweramp app which plays all formats

I really wanna stop lugging around my 160GB iPod everyday & keep it for holidays, as long as i can add playlists onto the S3 i'll be happy, hope you get your problem sorted though, im sure eventually the developers will address it as i think the amount of samsung users is taking over iphone

Looking forward to hopefully coming home to my newly delivered S3 tonight, my S2 eventually stopped working after i replaced the screen so have been using an oooold phone, really miss using Gizmo to control MC

JohnT

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 06:13:57 pm »

Nexus one only supports MSC if am not mistaken. The Major issue here is how it handles the mtp and how it checks the sync status. I'll try to explain my findings, but first i'll show you how i use my galaxy s3 in mtp mode to sync with jrmc17: ...
There was a problem with the way we wrote the database on the device, which could cause most (all??) of the weirdness you've been seeing with syncing.  This has been fixed in the latest dev. build and should be available soon (look for it in the history).  When you get this build, please test and let us know if you're still seeing other issues.

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
Re: Re: Re: Syncing to Galaxy S2
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2012, 07:28:20 pm »

There was a problem with the way we wrote the database on the device, which could cause most (all??) of the weirdness you've been seeing with syncing.  This has been fixed in the latest dev. build and should be available soon (look for it in the history).  When you get this build, please test and let us know if you're still seeing other issues.

Thanks a lot! I will try it as soon as I get my hands on the new build and I'll report back.

bwaldron

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2012, 12:34:07 pm »

This appears to fix the problems I have been having when using my Sansa Clip in MTP mode. Thanks!

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2012, 01:27:49 pm »

Just completed a sync of 1984 files without errors. I believe build #173 fixed the issue. THANK YOU! :D

escaflo

• Galactic Citizen
  • And the answer is.... 42!
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2012, 03:36:09 am »

I tested 173 with my S3 and Sandisk 64GB SDXC microsd card and am still having the issue Arbiter was facing. The songs will transfer fine and suddenly stop working and just give error when uploading.

I've tried connecting to my Parallels virtual machine and to my Media Center (Windows 7 64bit) and it is the same issue.

In the end, I just plug in my SDCard directly and transfer the songs over via Parallels and it seems to work.

Don't Panic!

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2012, 08:30:08 am »

I tested 173 with my S3 and Sandisk 64GB SDXC microsd card and am still having the issue Arbiter was facing. The songs will transfer fine and suddenly stop working and just give error when uploading.

I've tried connecting to my Parallels virtual machine and to my Media Center (Windows 7 64bit) and it is the same issue.

In the end, I just plug in my SDCard directly and transfer the songs over via Parallels and it seems to work.

Well although i can now sync all my files without error (i believe we both have exfat formatted cards, so i don't know whatcould be the culprit here), the next time i plug my SIII to sync more files, MC will fail to recognise any of them and tries to sync everything all over again.

JohnT Is there any way i can help you troubleshoot this? I noticed that on the first sync, the jrinfo.xml file inside the sdcard was properly populated and over 1.5mb long. When i plugged the device back i noticed that the size of that file dropped to 238kb and  mc couldn't recognise the music already on it.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2012, 08:45:25 am »

We'll take another look at this later this week.  It won't happen for a few days.

bwaldron

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2012, 11:03:21 am »

Just as another data point, I have not encountered any issues with sync with 173 -- it still appears fixed for me. Granted, I am on a low-capacity device, and my daily sync contains only a few podcasts and albums.

Chronic

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2012, 11:56:46 am »

How do i get the latest build?

Im having problems as highlighted in this thread

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=72797.0

Basically when i convert/transfer to phone's inbuilt memory it seems to go smoothly, but then the root folders show in the phone but no songs show, and the main problem which is i can't convert/transfer to my SD card at all, MC just doesnt want to convert them when im doing it to SD card, i have to copy the songs, make an m3u, and drag them both onto the SD card.

I tried formatting the card/phone to no avail

Appreciate any help, cheers

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2012, 12:07:07 pm »

The latest build is near the top of the MC17 board.

JohnT

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2012, 12:17:44 pm »

Well although i can now sync all my files without error (i believe we both have exfat formatted cards, so i don't know whatcould be the culprit here), the next time i plug my SIII to sync more files, MC will fail to recognise any of them and tries to sync everything all over again.

JohnT Is there any way i can help you troubleshoot this? I noticed that on the first sync, the jrinfo.xml file inside the sdcard was properly populated and over 1.5mb long. When i plugged the device back i noticed that the size of that file dropped to 238kb and  mc couldn't recognise the music already on it.
Please send a zip file of the database to johnt at jriver.com

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2012, 06:35:32 pm »

Done!

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2012, 09:03:48 am »

Found anything helpful ? That thing keeps bugging me :P

dytanaka

• Recent member
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2012, 01:04:36 am »

I have the same problem.  I just got my S3 and I downloaded and installed 17.0.180, but I still have issues.  I can sync some playlists, but some it will start transferring a playlist and then start givings "error".  Any help would be appreciated.

"I tested 173 with my S3 and Sandisk 64GB SDXC microsd card and am still having the issue Arbiter was facing. The songs will transfer fine and suddenly stop working and just give error when uploading."

LiquidBreadMan

• Recent member
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2012, 06:19:57 pm »

I'm on build 17.0.182 and having exactly the same problem syncing with my Samsung S3.  There haven't been any posts in this thread for a couple months.  Has anyone figure it out or has everyone given up on JRiver Media Center for this?

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2012, 06:35:49 pm »

The issue is still there, it seems that it's not on the priority list though :(

struct

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Re: Syncing to Galaxy S2
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2012, 06:41:43 pm »

i am having a lot of trouble getting windows to read the card still so may be more than just mc?

LiquidBreadMan

• Recent member
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2012, 04:49:39 am »

If I take the card out, put it in a card reader and sync to the drive there are ne problems at all.  This is definitely a problem with the way J River is trying to sync to the external SD card in the device. 

BenAlex

• Recent member
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2012, 08:32:59 am »

I've never had any issues in this regard with my S2, neither with Gingerbread or Ice Cream Sandwich.

Are y'all remembering to plug the phone in using USB mass storage mode? Settings/USB utilities/USB mass storage. Click the "connect" storage to PC" button WITHOUT the USB cable plugged in yet, and then follow instructions. Not exactly plug'n'play but it has been completely hassle free for me this.

On a sidenote; my S2 is the gt-i9100g version which sports a Texas Instruments chip instead of the standard Exynos chip found on most other versions of the device. Maybe my model is just better for audio. I'm not that techy.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up