INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library server and updating on clients  (Read 2939 times)

llafriel

• World Citizen
Library server and updating on clients
« on: February 22, 2012, 04:24:07 am »

My htpc is a client using library server. It goes to sleep using S3 sleep mode. If I've recently added some files to the server they won't show up on the client. It used to be quite fast before, but yesterday I watched a whole movie and still it wasn't updated. Perhaps waking up from sleep could automatically trigger an update? Or if there could be a menu option in theaterview to manually force an update. As it is now I need to restart the htpc since I have no mouse or keyboard attached.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Library server and updating on clients
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 02:18:40 pm »

The client should sync every two minutes.

Could you look for "CServersHelper::SyncWithLibraryServer" in the log (Help > Logging) and see if it's happening regularly?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 03:21:36 pm »

I get the same problem.

I just added a new file and ran auto import, and its been 10 minutes now and the client still hasn't updated. Theater View still doesn't show the file.
I activated logging and will check it.

Edit:
I now have about 6 minutes of log and that line doesn't occur in there.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 03:25:09 pm »

In case it's not clear, you do need to have this enabled:
Options > Media Network > Client Options > Automatically sync changes made on client back to server

I think it might be better to call the option:
Automatically sync with server

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 03:26:12 pm »

I see, i have this off on the HTPC because i never do changes there (also, because its off by default IIRC). I'll turn it on. :)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 03:59:58 pm »

Next build:
Changed: Renamed Options > Media Network > Client Options > to 'Automatically sync changes made on client back to server' to 'Auto sync with server'.

When this option is enabled, the command available manually 'Sync Changes with Library Server' is run automatically in a background thread every couple minutes. 

Revision counters are used so that no work is done unless changes are made.

llafriel

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 05:04:40 pm »

That fixed it, thanks! Did not know that setting affected this, which you suspected, and fixed.. All good stuff :) Next time the reply will probably be posted before my question..

maid

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 01:13:32 am »

I am having the same problem.

My client says it is synchronizing when done manually but there is nothing in the log.

How do I point to the library? I have this m01p://HTPC

If I close the client then re open my files are not changed.

Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

struct

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Re: Library server and updating on clients
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 02:20:37 am »

Is there a method to make this a one way sync? I have  a client (8 yr old) that i don't want to allow to change the library but i would like changes on the server pushed to the client automatically.

When i have seen this option i have assumed it was both ways.
Thanks

NickF

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 03:53:19 am »

Here's how I think it works.  If you check the 'Auto sync with server' on the client PC and on the server PC, then changes made on the server will propagate out to the client.  Changes made on the client will not propagate back to the server and when you next start the client MC app, the change will have reverted because it will have reloaded from the server.

If you check the Options > Media Network > Authentication and enter the user name and password on the server PC, when you next start the MC app on the client PC, the client will ask for the user name and password in order to load the library from the server PC.  You only need to do this once, provided the 'remember password' is checked.  Now, if you make a change to a file on the client, it will get propagated back to the server.

The problem with this is that you don't get an option to load the library from the server without entering the credentials.  I think you should be able to load the library without the credentials and not get the ability to update from the client even when authentication is set on the server.

I hope that helps.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 11:38:38 am »

NickF - I thought these were 2 separate options. I thought the Authentication option was used to keep 2 physical libraries on different systems in sync and that the Autosync with Server allowed the user to make changes from the running version of MC on the client and that those changes would get made back on the server.

I want to be able to have my client connected to the server through the library server and be able to make changes on the running version of MC on the client and have those changes made back to the server. I do not want the physical library that is on the client changed. That is what I thought Autosync with server did, without having to have the Authenication option enabled. Unfortunately, that does not seem to work for me.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 11:57:41 am »

I am having trouble having the client change the tags for a track on the server using the library server. I have the "Automatically sync changes made on client back to server" option checked (still on .68) but do not have the authentication option on. When I look at the log file I do see SyncwithLibraryServer commands every few minutes. However, the changes never seem to be made on the server.

Any suggestions?

NickF

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 12:00:48 pm »

Hi dtc,

If you want the changes made on the client to be reflected back onto the server, you MUST use authentication.  The whole idea of authentication is to manage changes to the library.  Set up authentication and you will find that it will work.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 04:29:44 pm »

Nick - so if I do that it will not try to sync the server and client physical databases? It seems like the sync code that Matt referenced does seem to be happening. If the client is talking to the library server, why does it  need to log into the server? Seems like the client/server relationship through the library server should be able to update the server without the authentication. I am not trying to be obstinate, I just do not want the database on my client changed. Thanks.

NickF

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 06:04:15 pm »

dtc, to be absolutely safe, I would suggest that you backup your database or Library Server on the client first.

I feel that there is some general confusion about the roles of clients and servers and the terminology doesn't help.  I assume that, on your client PC, you have set MC17 in Playing Now and Playing from to use your server's Library Server.  As I understand it, when you do this, the client version of MC17 loads the library data from the Library Server on the server PC.  This is not held on the client PC in a persistent database.  It is loaded each time you start up the client instance of MC17.  You could choose to use a different Library Server such as the one on your client PC.  As far as I'm aware, MC17 does not synchronise these different Library Servers.  It synchronises the client view of the data with the Library Server data.  This can be one way - server to client - or both way which requires authentication.

I have multiple Library Servers.  Each instance of MC17 is set to synchronise but all of the Libraries remain independent and different.

Backup the Library Server on your client PC then give authentication a try.  If it doesn't work as I believe it should, you can restore the library.

Nick.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 09:35:14 pm »

Thanks Nick. It now seems to be working. I guess I misunderstood the Server Sync/authentication  - I thought it would try to sync the physical library on my server system with the physical libraries on my client machines. As long as it does not do that I should be set. Thanks for your patience.

maid

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 11:18:02 pm »

When opening MC on another machine, using a locally networked library, since starting Media server for the use of the remote I am getting.

"This database will be opened in read only mode" Is this normal.

I am not using the server client library.
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 01:15:07 pm »

I have gotten that message a couple of times recently. I have not seen it until recently. It also sometimes says that their are no files in the library. I have restarted MC on both the client and server and sometimes rebooted and eventually it goes away. I have not figured out any pattern to why it is happening. I thought that it might be actually connecting to a DNLA server rather than the Library Server but have not verified that. It would be nice to know what is causing this.

Note - this is when trying to connect to the library server.
Pages: [1]   Go Up