INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with external HD  (Read 1509 times)

Tim

• Junior Woodchuck
Problems with external HD
« on: February 22, 2012, 02:45:14 pm »

I am using the trial of the programme at the moment and love the sound quality in wasapi event style. I have just copied my library from within windows to an external HD and imported from this drive. I now find that when trying to play an album I have each track repeating, one from C drive and one from E drive. How do I choose which drive to play from without displaying and playing two of everything as shown in the track display (bottom of screen in purity view).

I have probably gone about things in the wrong order somewhere, but do not wish to remove the files from my C drive yet (or the MC library relating to the C drive). I can play an album in sequence by unplugging the usb to the external drive but how would I play directly from the external without also playing the C drive version in duplicate. There must be an elegant solution within the programme as in general it is well thought out.

I will need a solution to this before I can purchase.

thanks for any help

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Problems with external HD
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 02:54:01 pm »

You could use the search box in the upper right to limit to "C:" or "E:".

Tim

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 03:53:06 pm »

Thanks for trying to help - the only search button I can find does not seem to lead to anywhere in the programme where I can make the choice suggested - I am very new to all this, if someone can give me clear steps on how to navigate this problem it would be gratefully received.

Tim

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 04:05:31 pm »

Ah OK, I see what you are saying. Yes this works - but is this the only option when using duplicate drives - do you have to type the drive path letter into search for each change of album or track :o?

When I do want to just use the external drive and finally delete the files from my C drive how do I get rid of the all the text refering to C in the all files box at the bottom of the screen and just view a simple album track list for E drive. Equally how do I select which drive to rip a cd to. I know that this must be basic stuff but thanks for your help.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 04:06:09 pm »

There are several ways to do this. Do you want any changes made to one copy of the file to be applied to the second copy (whether that be on your external drive or internal drive?). If so, check out the "Stacks" option: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Stacks

If not, I would create new library views under audio (in the right tree, right-click a sub-item of audio, and select "add library view"). Under the display option, click on "set rules for file display" and under rules select filename (path) > contains > [the drive you want to view, eg E:]. You can name this view "external files" or something like that.

Edit: you replied while I was away. If you are getting rid of one of your sets, the easiest thing to do is to create a smartlist of all the files one one disk (see above) and then delete them (remove from library).
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Create_a_Smartlist

Tim

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 04:54:51 pm »

Thanks for your efforts - unfortunately I think I have misunderstood. When I right click the Audio tree and select the view option I get a limited selection of views not any display option tab ? if I click any of these I get a duplicate view :-[ The programme seems very complicated. Did I do something wrong when I imported from E drive - at the time it seemed like the only way to play a whole album from there but it produced the duplicate playing as detailed above - how do others cope with the need to have external drives and copies of their libraries without this mess occuring?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 05:04:16 pm »

Thanks for your efforts - unfortunately I think I have misunderstood. When I right click the Audio tree and select the view option I get a limited selection of views not any display option tab ? if I click any of these I get a duplicate view :-[ The programme seems very complicated. Did I do something wrong when I imported from E drive - at the time it seemed like the only way to play a whole album from there but it produced the duplicate playing as detailed above - how do others cope with the need to have external drives and copies of their libraries without this mess occuring?

IF the drive is going to be continually used in MC, people will generally use stacks. If this is temporary, most people create a temporary library view or smartlist.

If not, I would create new library views under audio (in the right tree, right-click a sub-item of audio, and select "add library view"). Under the display option, click on "set rules for file display" and under rules select filename (path) > contains > [the drive you want to view, eg E:].

I should have said, add the library view (generally panes is a good idea if you are trying to edit the library) and then right click that new view in the tree and go to "customize view," and then follow the above directions as far as including files by file path.

Tim

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 12:43:33 am »

Thanks,

I will try that. Sorry to fuss I was getting frustrated last night!

Tim

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 02:09:43 pm »

OK, I did as you suggested and ... it worked just fine 8) ... well of course it did ::).

Thanks so much.

I will have a better look regarding stacks etc.. Where do I get best info on setting CD's to rip straight to the external drive bypassing C:?

This is starting to sound very good via Rega Dac and Sugden A21a S2 into Arcs. Iam using Wasapi event style playing from memory is this the best bet. I don't think my dac has an asio driver built in.

thanks again
Pages: [1]   Go Up