INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streaming of Live TV  (Read 5016 times)

gatornuke

• Recent member
Streaming of Live TV
« on: February 22, 2012, 03:57:56 pm »

I've been using a windows media center PC with extenders as my only way to watch TV for some time.  In a new house i'm building, My plan was to continue this and add to the machine a home automation server (HomeSeer), but this did not address distributed audio.  that's where I came across JRiver.  I plan to use it with Gizmo control to feed an 11-zone distributed audio system (multiple soundcards/amplifiers).  The physical system will be contained to a server rack and a wall panel above it in the basement.

I recently discovered that JRiver also does Live TV, and this intrigued me, since I'd be happy to replace my DVR system with a non-microsoft solution since MC extenders are now defunct.  My question is this: can you stream live TV to DLNA devices such as this Sony AV Streamer?

It would be great if i could still access my EPG, recorded content, and be able to timeshift live TV while getting away from the unsupported microsoft solution.

gatornuke

• Recent member
Re: Streaming of Live TV
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 11:17:48 am »

Does anyone know?  I'm looking for a simple yes or no answer

gatornuke

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 12:05:57 pm »

Ok, I contacted Sony and it appears the answer is no.  However, it appears that JRiver has their Gizmo app for android, and I'm assuming this will allow you to watch live TV on an android device.  Right now, the only reputable google TV media center extenders i'm aware of are the Logitec Revue and this Sony Blu-ray player.  That is, other than buying an actual TV with google TV built in.

So now my question is:  will installing Gizmo in one of these devices actually result in a full-fledged media center extender for JRiver like I am intending or not?

Sandy B Ridge

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 04:41:06 pm »

Welcome to the forum.

I can't really answer your question, since I haven't looked into DLNA streaming much, but a quick look at this device shows that it can accept a video stream over DLNA of certain types.

JRiver MC can supply a DLNA device with a transcoded video stream, so in theory it should certainly work with movies and recorded TV.

Currently, if I recall correctly, MC can't transcode Live TV on the fly, but it is something that has been suggested before on the forums. I'm not sure if it is something the Dev team are thinking about, but there has been a lot of TV development over the past few months. Who knows this may appear at some point.... and when it does, there would be no reason why this device wouldn't see it as a normal DLNA video stream.

SBR

gatornuke

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 10:27:22 pm »

Thanks for your response.  That's pretty much in line with what i was thinking, but i was hoping the developers had a more direct out of the box DLNA implementation.  Right now all i have is "A and B use the same protocol, so it should work" -- I've been burned countless times with these types of assumptions.

I'm trying to make sure i can meet all my functional requirements before making the capital investment to procure all the devices i need for the entire house.  I thought the android/gizmo approach might work for live TV streaming, but i just don't know.  Then again, i do have an android tablet laying around so i think i'll just test it out and see what happens...

Thanks again.

csimon

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 05:53:09 am »

Nerio's media server software MediaHome http://www.nero.com/enu/mediahome4-features.html can apparently stream live TV from supported TV cards to UPnP/DLNA.

Castius

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 10:02:47 am »

Orb can stream live TV. However some people have made mention of bad practices of these developers. And I found the software very buggy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up